Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2018, 06:04   #16

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Mystery canvas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pessimist View Post
Honestly, I don't know what "twist fasteners" are.
My guess would be Common Sense or turnbutton fasteners. Also known as "twist lock" fasteners. And also Bourque fasteners. Sometimes Murphy fasteners.

"Common Sense fastener" has been in use since 1893. Turnbutton fastener (or originally turn-button fastening" has been in use since 1898.

George William J Murphy and Edward Cummings formed the G W J Murphy Company in 1905 to mass produce turnbutton fasteners. Murphy patented an improved version of the fastener in 1907. And was challenged successfully in patent court. There followed a series of new patents, including from David Bourque.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:56   #17

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

These are what I mean by twist fasteners. You’ll have one or two of these on each side of your masts. They are small... about an inch long.

They sometimes also use small stainless steel hooks to hold the cover to the mast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F978D8FB-DEF7-4AD7-9C11-98470660805E.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	173306  
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:00   #18

Boat: 41' Gulfstar Ketch

Peregrine1983 I don't have any of those on my mast, no. I have them on my mainsail cover, but none on the mast itself.

I'll have to scout the mizzen to see if there are any there. I don't recall seeing them however.
Miss Pessimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:15   #19

Boat: 1983 Pearson 424 Ketch

Understood. You’re basically looking for either a set of those or a set of hooks that would hold the forward part of that canvas onto one of your masts (see Stu’s excellent diagram.). If you’ve got nothing there or that canvas isn’t the right length for either of your booms, then I’m not sure. It still looks like a sail cover to me, but maybe it’s from a different boat. Does it match the rest of your canvas in terms of color and style?

I sorted out the last piece of “mystery canvas” on my boat recently and so I understand your quest to find out what it is. Good luck.
Peregrine1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:19   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Do you have a 43 Motor Sailer? It looks like a foredeck tent the notches are for the forward shrouds.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:21   #21

Boat: Gulfstar 36 MS

Also the snap hooks go on the life lines.
Outlaw7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08   #22

Boat: Currently in between

I love a good puzzle. It brings out great guesses and stirs up friendly debate.

I was thinking sun shade myself but the material looks a little heavy although you can't really tell for sure in pics.

Maybe the prior owner brought it aboard from a previous boat intending to do "something" with it one day and never got around to it.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:12   #23

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Would it be a rain catching awning??
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 08:31   #24

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

If the PO is like me, he may have rescued the canvas from a boatyard "surplus donation facility" AKA dumpster. My mainsail cover - 14 feet long - is made from dozens of scraps of Sunbrella from a canvas shop in Ft. Lauderdale. I have a sewing machine and I'm not afraid to use it.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 09:40   #25

Boat: 41' Gulfstar Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
I love a good puzzle. It brings out great guesses and stirs up friendly debate.

I was thinking sun shade myself but the material looks a little heavy although you can't really tell for sure in pics.

Maybe the prior owner brought it aboard from a previous boat intending to do "something" with it one day and never got around to it.
PO wasn't sure what it was. He inherited it. He did use it as a sunshade though. It's the notches that befuddle me. They don't line up with shrouds. It could very well have come from another boat for sure, although the material does match with existing sail covers, both in weight and colour.

The boat is a 41' Ketch rigged Gulfstar and we've discovered in addition to this canvas a mystery sail, extra sail bags, and assorted odds and ends that were hidden away in various compartments for the last 10 years or so. It's been great fun that way.

I'm considering turning the canvas into a stack pack in the short term, but it will also have use as a deck awning in the long term. Either way, it's going to come in handy.

To answer another question, I don't think it's for rain gathering. No way to funnel water out of it. The seam is the full length of the canvas.

I do appreciate everyone's answers though.
Miss Pessimist is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canvas