Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2013, 19:37   #1

Boat: 1986 CS 30
Send a message via Yahoo to Hank Kivett
NC's new boating requirement

FYI....for all you boater and crusiers out there who come and visit us and our vast water playground druing the spring and summer beware that effective the 1 day of OCt, 2013 you must regerster your boat with the state if u stay 90 days or more. Regardless if u are regerstered in another state. Some how this new requirement was add at the last second to the state budget bill without any debate. Not sure how this will be enforced or how ckecks will be made...my best guess will be that the marina's will be task to notifiy the state of anyone staying in there place of bussiness for more than 90 days...but that is just a guess...welcome to NC
Hank Kivett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2013, 23:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: NC's new boating requirement

Welcome to every other State in the Union,

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also big enough to take everything you have.

In WA State, every gov. employee is trained that anyone that owns a yacht(boat) has more then enough money, that they shouldn't complain.

It seems to be true, as we keep electing the same people expecting different results.

go figger.

Lloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Kivett View Post
FYI....for all you boater and crusiers out there who come and visit us and our vast water playground druing the spring and summer beware that effective the 1 day of OCt, 2013 you must regerster your boat with the state if u stay 90 days or more. Regardless if u are regerstered in another state. Some how this new requirement was add at the last second to the state budget bill without any debate. Not sure how this will be enforced or how ckecks will be made...my best guess will be that the marina's will be task to notifiy the state of anyone staying in there place of bussiness for more than 90 days...but that is just a guess...welcome to NC
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 11:26   #3

Oh yes you are so right...when are we ever going to learn....we do it to ourself...what ever happened to "we the people"
Old 24-09-2013, 11:38   #4

What's the cost of the registration? Is it based on value of your boat?
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2013, 11:40   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I've never quite understood why states seem to adopt a 90 day rule for boats and a 183 day rule for motor vehicles. It seems to me to be blantant discrimination against boaters. Some states don't have any limits on automobiles. Florida for instance has no requirement at all to register your automobile in Florida unless you establish residency, yet 90 days for boats. NC, 90 days for boats and 183 days for cars. Interestingly because I tend to spend a couple of months per year in NC visiting my kids I keep a car there though I'm legally a Florida resident. Being a Florida resident I'm required to register my cars in Florida because I'm a Florida resident, but because I keep one car in NC more than 183 days a year I'm required to keep it registered in NC. Consequently I'm not legally allowed to take my NC car to Florida. If I get caught while there I will get a large fine. I love it when state laws make it impossible to comply with both. Fortunately NC has chosen to make the requirement 90 continious days instead of 90 days per year.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 04:53   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I've never quite understood why states seem to adopt a 90 day rule for boats and a 183 day rule for motor vehicles. It seems to me to be blantant discrimination against boaters. Some states don't have any limits on automobiles. Florida for instance has no requirement at all to register your automobile in Florida unless you establish residency, yet 90 days for boats. NC, 90 days for boats and 183 days for cars. Interestingly because I tend to spend a couple of months per year in NC visiting my kids I keep a car there though I'm legally a Florida resident. Being a Florida resident I'm required to register my cars in Florida because I'm a Florida resident, but because I keep one car in NC more than 183 days a year I'm required to keep it registered in NC. Consequently I'm not legally allowed to take my NC car to Florida. If I get caught while there I will get a large fine. I love it when state laws make it impossible to comply with both. Fortunately NC has chosen to make the requirement 90 continious days instead of 90 days per year.
My guess would be the seasonal nature of boating. 180 days makes it too easy to winter the boat across the state line avoid the tax.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 12:58   #7

I think its based on length but not sure...the form reads over 14 feet ...mine is a 30 footer and it was $40.00 for three yrs...now thats not much but its the principle of the thing...they call it a regerstration fee in lieu of a tax...someone said once put lipstick on a pig its still a pig...
Old 25-09-2013, 14:20   #8

Boat: Seaward 22

Wonder if the NC DNR's first stop will be the harbor in Oriental?
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 19:00   #9

My guess is that marina's and harbors will be there first visits. A boat without a number on the bow will draw a lot of attention..
Old 25-09-2013, 19:13   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCloud1937 View Post
Welcome to every other State in the Union,

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is also big enough to take everything you have.

In WA State, every gov. employee is trained that anyone that owns a yacht(boat) has more then enough money, that they shouldn't complain.

It seems to be true, as we keep electing the same people expecting different results.

go figger.

Lloyd
I think it's the new guys that are causing all the problems. Wonder if they are going to exempt foreign flagged yachts in keeping with their "core" values?

Tags
boating, men