Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 12:33   #46

Boat: Tayana 47
Re: Need advice for cruising the coast of Maine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Yeah, I will concede that "generally rocky" was a poor choice of words. My first two anchorages, White Island and Brimstone Island, were rocky. Laundry Cove and Perry Creek were definitely hard-to-clean-the-chain mud. I am glad the more experienced jtsailjt and CaptTom clarified that for others researching Penobscot Bay.

I’d be interested to know where you found to anchor at Brimstone. I was out there about a month ago and there was a small boat already anchored about 20’ off the beach on the northwest side and I circled the whole island but couldn’t find any other spot where I felt I could anchor so went back to Winter Harbor on Vinalhaven for the night. Weather was supposed to be bad the next morning so o wanted to be in a secure spot.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 13:09   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I’d be interested to know where you found to anchor at Brimstone.
We anchored in the cove on the south side, probably a little East of the anchor icon in this picture. We were there only for an hour to hike around the island and see the view from the peak, so I did not have to worry about the weather and tides overnight. I saw one cruiser say they stayed overnight there, but only on a very calm night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-09-27-15-46-29.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	356.0 KB
ID:	178065  
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 15:19   #48

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
thank you

Canadian Govt. Tide & Current Tables

2018 Tide Tables - Tides, Currents, and Water Levels
Old 27-09-2018, 16:27   #49

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRobertJr View Post
Interesting! I had been looking forward to seeing the sheep. It was the McGlatherly Island description on CoastalBoating.net that mentioned the sheep, though I cannot tell how out of date that listing is.
McGlathery Island and Stonington
It seems they have taken their info from outdated cruising guides. Bartletts market hasn't existed for 10 to 15 years. There is no fuel at the town landing and there never was. (Billings is the only source of fuel for yachts.) And the sheep are gone[emoji852]️.

Occasionally schooners stop, usually on Thursday.

Incidentally the sheep are gone because of three factors: first they were being preyed upon by some wild animal, some said dogs or coyotes. Second the economics of raising livestock on islands changed. Lastly sheep are detrimental to the ecology of the islands in that only a few native species will survive their foraging. At least this is what I have gleaned from my conversations with people around region.

Let me say though that Stonington is a fascinating place to visit. It lands more lobster than any other port in Maine and is still very definitely a fishing community. Tourism is more important than it was 20 years ago but Stonington remains in practice and temperament a Down East fishing village.

The islands are still as beautiful as they have always have been, just devoid of sheep.
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 17:25   #50

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor_ed View Post
Let me say though that Stonington is a fascinating place to visit. It lands more lobster than any other port in Maine and is still very definitely a fishing community. Tourism is more important than it was 20 years ago but Stonington remains in practice and temperament a Down East fishing village.

The islands are still as beautiful as they have always have been, just devoid of sheep.
I agree that Stonington is a great place to visit. but if you read between the lines of "lands more lobster..." that means it has more lobstermen and lobsterboats, or at least a LOT of them. They all seem to get underway at the crack of dawn, which is about 4AM in July and don't seem terribly concerned about their wake. Some might even get the idea that a few of them take pleasure in making sure visiting cruisers are awakened too. So, when I intend to spend the night anchored off Stonington, I do it behind one of the nearby islands and dinghy into town rather than anchoring right at the edge of the mooring field near where the lobster boats will pass on their way to begin their day at work.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, maine