Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 09:06   #16

Re: need advice on what to use floating clam cleat

Quote: " i need something i can clip it into while under load"

The device you need, if I understand your requirement correctly, is called a "snatch block". Is a single becket block with one cheek hinged so that when you open the cheek you can slip the sheave onto the line and then close and secure the cheek again. The snatch block will thereafter act as a normal block.

Google "snatch block" and select "Images". I'm fairly sure you'll find something you can use.

TP
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:18   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
How about using a fishing reel? Buy a used one in a second hand store for a couple bucks. Just clamp it to your stern rail.
I wasn't sure about the question but apparently you and I understood it the same.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 10:35   #18

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

How about a belay device for climbing? To 'capture' the line you'd have to stuff the bight through the device and clip it into a caribeener.

Most of these things are very simple but wouldn't work for you because you have to 'lock' the line by jamming it down. However I have used some which are made for kids which will lock by themselves.

If that won't work try looking at abseiling devices.

There's also a thing called a 'top climber' which is a device meant to allow a single-handed person to climb the mast. Part of that kit I think is essentially what you're looking for; basically a rope clutch that is attached to a line instead of a deck.

Good luck.

I'm intrigued: what is it you are actually trying to achieve?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:01   #19

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwind1 View Post
i need something,, don't know what. imagine flying a kite. then imagine a heavy bag/anchor on the beach with a nice quality 10-20 ft rope with a biner attached. i walk up to the rope while flying my kite,, i reach down and hook the carebiner to the kite line,, then i walk backwards with the kite line until the kite descends and is at the caribiner,,, i want to walk up and grab the kite now flying at that level and I DO NOT WANT TO hand over hand up the line,, i want to let go and let some sort of cleat mechanism hang onto it.

what can i use to accomplish this? is there a simple mechanism out there that will allow

1 EASY CLIPPING ONTO A VERY SMALL KITE LINE

2. then allow ONE WAY ONLY travel while i walk back,, and THEN LOCK when LETTING GO OF KITE STRING.

i hope this is not hard to understand.. this mechanism would not need to hold more than 50-75 lbs,,, and will not be subject to marine conditions, and will not have any lives depending on it.

I'm unclear about the original description. Maybe he could draw up a quick diagram and post it?

I too am thinking in the climber camp, like an ascender that can be placed on the line and allows for movement in 1 direction. But I'm sure his line size is smaller than any climbing gear will accept.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 14:32   #20

Most suggestions here will not work with1mm line.
The fishing reel is the best solution.
keep the line permanently wound on the reel and when it's the time to recover the kite walk backwards to bring the kite down to the bag then walk slowly forwards winding in on the reel attached to a short handle. Most fishing reels have some form of non return ratchet arrangement.
Your expensive line is now permanently, neatly and safely coiled on the reel till next time
Slainte1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 16:28   #21

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

I like the fishing reel idea - I have used one with a (small) kite before now - the rod broke but that was me trying to play the kite.... If I were to do it again I would just mount the reel on a short stick.
Basically he wants some form of tiny rope clutch. If such a thing existed for thin kite line (which it doesn't) you could thread it onto the line before flying the kite, keep it by your hand while flying the kite, clip the carabiner onto it when needed, close the clutch & walk away.
But there is no such thing ready made. Could try making something up or try using a rolling hitch knot like this:
Using similar size line to the kite line, tie a metal ring (strong keyring or two?) onto a short length of line. Clip that ring to yourself in some way strong enough to take a bit of strain. Tie the other end of the line onto your kite line using a loose rolling hitch (google it) so the kite line can easily slide both ways for now. Let out the line & fly the kite. When ready, unclip the metal ring from yourself, clip the carabiner onto it, pull the rolling hitch tight so the kite line will now only slide one way, & walk backwards. Maybe worth a try but you have to tie the rolling hitch the right way round. Might work, might not, but you will have learned a useful knot anyway...
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 16:30   #22

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

How about a tent stake? Put it in the sand where you are standing when the kite is at the caribiner and secure the kite line to it. Walk back to the kite and tie it down, then retrieve the stake and line.

...Advice is worth what you pay for it.
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 16:38   #23

How about a tent stake?
Old 07-12-2020, 16:40   #24

Old 07-12-2020, 17:43   #25

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

I've got it! Maybe.......

Can you tie a knot in the kite line? If so, you just pull the knot through something that it will jam on when it tries to go the other way. Like, say, the neck of a plastic bottle. Or a funnel.

Tie a knot, or a bead, or a little rubber ball or something into the kite line at the point that you want it to stop. Now take a funnel and tie it to the end of the bit of line that is attached to the anchor. That line can just go through the funnel to secure it.

Now you walk backwards and the line pulls through the funnel, and the knot/ball/whatever pulls through too because the funnel is the right way around. But when you release the pressure the funnel cocks to one side and the knot gets jammed on the edge of the small end of the funnel.

Any use?

It really would help if you told us what you're trying to achieve here.

Explain why the fishing reel idea above won't work.
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 18:24   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
How about a belay device for climbing? To 'capture' the line you'd have to stuff the bight through the device and clip it into a caribeener.

Most of these things are very simple but wouldn't work for you because you have to 'lock' the line by jamming it down. However I have used some which are made for kids which will lock by themselves.

If that won't work try looking at abseiling devices.

There's also a thing called a 'top climber' which is a device meant to allow a single-handed person to climb the mast. Part of that kit I think is essentially what you're looking for; basically a rope clutch that is attached to a line instead of a deck.

Good luck.

I'm intrigued: what is it you are actually trying to achieve?
well, it is hard to describe but it is almost exactly what i described., except i am landing a 2 line kite (use a bar, like a power kite) i want to hook in one line while still flying the kite, walk back and then let it flag out harmlessly on a single line. i figured this would be too difficult to explain to most folks

as far as climbing stuff,, i have a ton as used to climb in my youth, but i am using a thin kite line, like 1mm,, so i either need micro sailing stuff or fishing stuff.
rockwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 18:32   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
I've got it! Maybe.......

Can you tie a knot in the kite line? If so, you just pull the knot through something that it will jam on when it tries to go the other way. Like, say, the neck of a plastic bottle. Or a funnel.

Tie a knot, or a bead, or a little rubber ball or something into the kite line at the point that you want it to stop. Now take a funnel and tie it to the end of the bit of line that is attached to the anchor. That line can just go through the funnel to secure it.

Now you walk backwards and the line pulls through the funnel, and the knot/ball/whatever pulls through too because the funnel is the right way around. But when you release the pressure the funnel cocks to one side and the knot gets jammed on the edge of the small end of the funnel.

Any use?

It really would help if you told us what you're trying to achieve here.

Explain why the fishing reel idea above won't work.
that is a darn good idea, not bad at all,,, but, the kite line will have tension on it ,,, its a good idea but tough to get the line into the funnel initially.

as far as fishing reel,, unless i am picturing a different type of reel,, once again,,, the kite is flying in the air,, it is a large kite with a lot of pull, to mess around with the line will cause the kite to move dangerously so i have to keep line interruption at a minimum. which is why right now, i can clip it on a caribiner, then lower kite so the kite line in the caribiner is like parallel to the ground, and the rope the caribiner is hooked to is slack, the biner is just dangling or hanging,,, i then walk back keeping the kite line approximately parallel to the ground, controlling the kite so it doesn't move, and right now, i just grab the parallel line and walk up it by hand, which isn't fun,,, would be so cool if i could just let some device hold it there. i think i will attach a video for better clarity.
Old 07-12-2020, 19:04   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slainte1 View Post
Most suggestions here will not work with1mm line.
The fishing reel is the best solution.
keep the line permanently wound on the reel and when it's the time to recover the kite walk backwards to bring the kite down to the bag then walk slowly forwards winding in on the reel attached to a short handle. Most fishing reels have some form of non return ratchet arrangement.
Your expensive line is now permanently, neatly and safely coiled on the reel till next time
man,, i do like the fishing real idea but i thought i explained it good enough, let's expand the original example and use a powerful 2 line traction kite with a bar that steers it,, any input into the kite line makes the kite turn and yank you,,, also imagine the bar is attached to you, like a catamaran harness,,,, so i can't do much with the lower kite line other than clip a caribiner to it,, bring kite down paralllel to ground (but still flying) and then walk backwards while flying the kite... when caribiner reaches kite, i just grab that line, walk forward, and the kite "flags out" on the caribiner BUT ONLY BECAUSE I AM HOLDING THAT LINE. i want a "thing" that will grab it like a cam cleat or something else,, i mean, i can invent something but i just can't believe there isn't something out there that is close.
Old 07-12-2020, 19:08   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
Quote: " i need something i can clip it into while under load"

The device you need, if I understand your requirement correctly, is called a "snatch block". Is a single becket block with one cheek hinged so that when you open the cheek you can slip the sheave onto the line and then close and secure the cheek again. The snatch block will thereafter act as a normal block.

Google "snatch block" and select "Images". I'm fairly sure you'll find something you can use.

TP
the snatch block i am familiar with,,, i use in a winching scenario,, it is essentially a pully, that, as you said, slides apart to insert rope. you must be thinking that there is another type of snatch block that has a one way feature,,, hmmmmmm,, very interesting, if so, and it can fit a kite line, that would work great. i googled it,, i came up with this,,, this is sooooo close to perfect,, except how do i get the line inside of it while using the line!!!!

https://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/seld...96-221351.html
Old 07-12-2020, 19:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarratt View Post
Maybe this will work

with a rope loop to attach it to the fixed bag

NICE!!!!!! IF THAT WILL WORK WITH 1MM LINE, I THINK THAT IS SUPER CLOSE TO WHAT I WANT,,, WILL HAVE TO MODIFY IT A BIT

Tags
Advice, loa