Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 14:17   #76

Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Sailed by one of the local islands today...... probable close to 100 boats there, didn't see any pirate flags, but did see quite a few a these and few that I can't link too on a family forum........

Regardless of political stripe, I don't understand people whose political slant infests every aspect of their life, including flags on their boats. The Jolly Roger crowd seems preferable, by comparison. At least those folks aren't out to provoke.
Old 11-09-2021, 14:21   #77

My opinion to the wish to fly a pirate flag ? In the seventies I sailed the brazilian coast, the caribean, over the north atlantic and explored the better part of the med. In Brasil absence of buerocracy. In the caribean polite and brief treatment by local authorities, a welcome and 'enjoy and stay as long as you please'. In the med, from Gibraltar to Greece and back, on very few ocasions I had to show passports, fill out forms, study and comply to a bunch of procedures and regulations. Almost no marinas, you would just mix with a few other sailors and the local fishermen. And today ? After enjoying a passage you better get prepared for an endless hassle with authorities, insurance requirements, marina regulations - before you can celebrate the happy landfall. And already worried with the needed procedures for leaving. So, I congratulate myself for having done this in better times - with no GPS and other sofisticated devices, but with freedom and the sense of beeing, if not welcomed at least not bothered where ever I droped anchor. Therefore I understand the wish to fly a pirate flag.
Old 11-09-2021, 14:24   #78

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfly View Post
Flying Spaghetti Monster works for us
May we all be touched by his noodly appendage.
Old 11-09-2021, 14:25   #79

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45

Seriously?

To equate the privateers of the 1600's and 1700's to today's pirates is nonsense. (Also, just to set the record straight...pirates were not slave traders...in fact they tended to free captives on slave ships.)

As mentioned previously the symbolism of pirate flags has changed dramatically over the past 300 years.

There are many pirate themed regattas and charity events, not just in the US, but around the world; UK, Australia, Caribbean, Fiji, etc.

Perhaps some people just like to complain, perhaps some people are just stodgy, and maybe a few need to loosen their sphincter a little and pull out that dried out corn cob.

For Christ's sake, if you find them offensive...too bad. Put on your big boy/girl panties and ignore it. It is quite possible that those who choose fly a pirate flag possibly find you or something about your vessel offensive. For example, I find googans who fly the US Ensign in international waters to be chowderheads. But, I I don't complain about it or try to change it...I just let them be ignorant chowderheads.

Oh...and for those of you who think flying one or more of 12 different pirate flags I have on my boat is an invitation for you to board and loot...please consider that I am the one with the flag, so it is very likely your keel-hauled body will never be found.
Old 11-09-2021, 14:31   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
I may be getting cranky as I age but it seems to me that a good percentage of recreational boaters where I currently cruise, mostly the locals, fly a pirate flag on their boat.

Pirates were outlaws, thieves, robbers, killers and slave traders. These same people (most of them anyway) would not dream of flying a Nazi flag on their boat , so why is it so cool and popular to fly a pirate flag that represents really BAD people?

I’d love to fly a flag that represents the values and lifestyle of being a cruiser- freedom, world travel, appreciation and care for our planet, and respect and friendship with the people and cultures we encounter, etc.

We’re the GOOD guys, right?

I know we have burgees and such, but they have no meaning unless you’re in that club. I’d love to find a replacement for the boaters flying pirate flags that would be cool and make a positive statement.

Any idea what flag we might fly that represents cruisers and our values?
Well if you are Canadian you might start with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Canadian_Cannabis_Flag_mgretailer.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	245110  
Old 11-09-2021, 15:35   #81

What's wrong with flying one's own county's flag. From personal experience there's nothing more beautiful than my big American flag floating proudly!
Old 11-09-2021, 15:51   #82

There were a lot of flags flown by pirates! But one point in the original post is blatantly wrong! Pirates were no “slave traders!” The slave traders of the time were all rich, influential business men who increased their wealth and influence through slavery! The “pirates” of the time, more often than not, released any slaves found as cargo or added them to their own crews!

Pirates were not “Slavers”! Rich, influential men were! A lot of “old money” rich families, made their money through slavery, amongst other things that today would be outlawed!
Old 11-09-2021, 15:59   #83

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

I tend to avoid folks who fly pirate flags. For one thing, it's quite childish, but what are they trying to prove? Seems a bit unfriendly IMHO.
I'm afraid that some, not all, folks who fly the pirate flag really want to fly a different flag of American rebellion. OK, beat me, that's my take on the pirate flag attitude.
You could fly a rainbow flag, that is better, still pretty immature unless your are in a parade.

All these bogus flags have their time and place, but not a normal day on a normal cruising vessel.
I envy and admire the flags of the various world cruising clubs that are earned and proudly flown by some seasoned cruisers (I have earned none of those yet). That's what I want to see on a proper cruising boat.
Old 11-09-2021, 16:21   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I would never have guessed that flying a pirate flag would cause such a stir....if this is seriously an issue...the maker(s) of the pirate flag should be targeted...same goes for the gin and tonic flag..AA members, rise and protest..etc..etc....what about all the "fishing" flags...those that denote you have caught "x" number of marlin, sharks, etc.....environmentalists rise and be counted...and lets not forget the "rainbow" flag denoting your sexual bent....opponents and proponents on both sides...rise and be counted....

lordy, lordy....beam me up Scotty......
Old 11-09-2021, 16:23   #85

A modern version of piracy may be a picture of your local chandlery, or the logo of some large company that does not pay its fair share of taxes. Or a pay check for a particular politician/lawyer/broker or the price for a bottle of wine at your local restaurant etc. There really are lots of options depending on what is seen locally as "piracy". For me, it's when my spouse rolls over and takes my blanket. Inconsiderate theft indeed. This has even led to threats of gentle spanking.

Otherwise, I think flying a skull and crossbones is being a bit childish, showing a lack of imagination. Arghh! me' hearties.

And really! If some old chap approached you with one wooden peg leg, a patch over one eye, a metal hook rather than a hand and a parrot screaming in his ear, would you feel afraid? You would probably offer to help him back to the aged care home.
Old 11-09-2021, 16:28   #86

You are equating Nazis with the Sea Shepherd people? ​WTF? What's next for you? Meter maids are infidels and harbormasters are harbingers of a zombie apocalypse?

This thread has reached peak absurdity in just one page.

American party culture is infantile. And it's pathetic. Those people are so desperate to get attention and acceptance that it's nauseating. But why do we want flags at all? Are you really so different because your flag is thought superior by a few people on some boat forum? How is this the best possible action for you today?

My eyes are bleeding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
i agree 100% with ann - piracy is criminal and an abomination (not long ago piracy was a hanging offence). i have friends who have suffered at the hands of pirates and displaying a 'pirate' flag is no joke

agree it's the same a showing a nazi or sea shepherd flag

apart from the various cruising club flags, here in oz these are common substitutes ;

Attachment 245034

Attachment 245035

Attachment 245036

the middle one is the eureka stockade flag which very roughly equates to the us confederate flag, without the slavery connotations

the boxing kangaroo should need no explanation to a us audience but for others, it became a symbol used by Australia II when winning the R.Y.S. £100 Cup

cheers,
Old 11-09-2021, 16:38   #87

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

You know I'd get one of those CF burgees, but I'm afraid flying it would invite all sorts of public criticisms
Old 11-09-2021, 16:43   #88

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
...To equate the privateers of the 1600's and 1700's to today's pirates is nonsense. Equating them is nonsense? How are today's pirates different from the pirates of the 1600's to 1700's. Both apprehend ships at sea and rob or capture them (or both) and mayhem often follows, including death of the victims. What exactly is the difference?

As mentioned previously the symbolism of pirate flags has changed dramatically over the past 300 years.

Interesting, can you describe how the symbolism has changed?

There are many pirate themed regattas and charity events, not just in the US, but around the world; UK, Australia, Caribbean, Fiji, etc.

Yes, I know. We have one. It's called "Pirates for Pupils", a charity event. We suggested it could be changed to "Pedophiles for Pupils" but nobody thought that was as funny.

Perhaps some people just like to complain, perhaps some people are just stodgy, and maybe a few need to loosen their sphincter a little and pull out that dried out corn cob.

For Christ's sake, if you find them offensive...too bad. Put on your big boy/girl panties and ignore it. It is quite possible that those who choose fly a pirate flag possibly find you or something about your vessel offensive.

Fine, I accept that. Let them tell me. I'll at least listen.

Oh...and for those of you who think flying one or more of 12 different pirate flags I have on my boat is an invitation for you to board and loot...please consider that I am the one with the flag, so it is very likely your keel-hauled body will never be found. Sounds like a threat?
Yes, I guess I am a stodgy who dislikes trivializing the killing, robbery, and other crimes committed by pirates as just good clean Walt Disney fun
Old 11-09-2021, 16:45   #89

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Yes, I guess I am a stodgy who dislikes trivializing the killing, robbery, and other crimes committed by pirates as just good clean Walt Disney fun
You must be fun at a Halloween party.
Old 11-09-2021, 16:56   #90

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

OK, here are some positive suggestions:
  1. Fly your country's flag, proudly

On the stbd flag halyard:
  2. Fly a huge courtesy flag

At the masthead or on the headstay:
  3. Fly your yacht's own private burgee or better yet, a huge war banner with your logo on it.

On the port side flag halyard:
  4. Put your yacht club flag or some other flag that you can associate with,
  5. Join an organization and fly their flag.
  6. Put up a cocktail flag or a MaryJane flag
  7. Put up a string of the countries (or states) flags you've visited.
  8. Put up the national flags of each of your crew members.
  9. Put up anything to get people to have an interest in who you are.

Just avoid political statements, campaign posters and pirate flags.
Closed Thread