Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2015, 13:50   #1

Boat: Watkins29
Need help identifying a sail and a question.

Just bought a 29' Watkins sloop. In addition to the mainsail and a hanked on 110 genoa there is another sail on board: it has a snap shackle and 16' of plastic covered wire halyard attached to the top of the sail, which has 23' of luff and another 2' of plastic covered wire and a snap shackle attached to the tack. The foot of the sail is 10' wide. The sail is made of the same material as the genoa. I was told by the seller that it was a storm sail.
I owned a boat in the past that had a storm sail. That storm sail was much smaller and heavier than this one. What is this sail called.
And can I use this sail as my working jib. I am single handing and find that the hanked on genoa is very difficult to douse and bag. Can't afford furling gear. And ease of passage trumps speed.
Thanks in advance.
bermudabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2015, 15:06   #2

Re: Need help identifying a sail and a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermudabob View Post
Just bought a 29' Watkins sloop. In addition to the mainsail and a hanked on 110 genoa there is another sail on board: it has a snap shackle and 16' of plastic covered wire halyard attached to the top of the sail, which has 23' of luff and another 2' of plastic covered wire and a snap shackle attached to the tack. The foot of the sail is 10' wide. The sail is made of the same material as the genoa. I was told by the seller that it was a storm sail.
I owned a boat in the past that had a storm sail. That storm sail was much smaller and heavier than this one. What is this sail called.
And can I use this sail as my working jib. I am single handing and find that the hanked on genoa is very difficult to douse and bag. Can't afford furling gear. And ease of passage trumps speed.
Thanks in advance.
Not having an idea of the size of the genoa you have, or its dimensions, it's hard to tell from here. Odd to have a free-luff sail as a working jib.

As far as your genoa, consider heaving to after sailing on port tack. The jib will back with the wind coming over the starboard bow. Use a downhaul on your genoa. As you drop the sail it should flake itself on the foredeck because of the position of the hanks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail