Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 18:46   #1

Need Help - New to Sailing with Lots of Questions

Hello I’m thinking of buying my first 22’ sailboat but I have some questions. I live on Georgian Bay in Ontario Canada and my plan is to leave it anchored all summer in about 10 feet of water. Georgian Bay is a very large lake and there will be no shelter for the boat, will this cause damage?
I was also thinking of making a permanent anchor for it, example 300lbs of concrete. In a large storm could a 22’ boat pull that kind of weight, and if so what would make a good permanent anchor?
Lastly Georgian Bay has a ton of great Islands to explore with some shallow waters so I’m in debate on what type of keel I should consider. Maybe a swing keel or something like that would be best. What do you think?
Thanks so Much
GThibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 13:52   #2

Boat: Tayana 37
Answers to your questions

Anchoring a boat for an extended period of time and not being onboard is never a good idea. The line or chain can catch on the anchor and pull it out. Then if it's tangled it won't reset or reset correctly and you'll be dragging. As for 300lbs of cement for a 22' boat is a little harder to answer. It depends on the bottom conditions and what the seas are capable of doing where your going to keep your boat. 300lbs to me sounds light for concrete. Keep in mind that concrete loses 1/3 of it's weight in water. So your 300lb block is now only 200lbs. If you don't want to be picking your boat up off the beach go with something substantial and choose the correct mooring for type of bottom it will be resting on with the correct amount of scope.

Dave
ddsailor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 14:56   #3

Boat: grampian 26
Not allowed. The lakes and river bottoms are considered crown land and staying longer than 21 days is considered squatting. You may get away with it until the first local cottage owner turns you in. The fines can be pretty hefty for failing to comply.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote