Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2006, 12:04   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I wouldn’t worry too much about the ‘backside’ moisture resistance of any “pleasing” laminate or other finishing material.
Glue the finish to Luan Door Skins, then install on overhead Battens.
Motor Yachts often use a “Velcro” fastening system, but I’ve also seen S/S retaining “Clips” used, which might be more secure.
Goto: http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...php?photo=1591
Regards,
Gord May

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2006, 15:00   #17

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Sean got me interested since I'll need to replace some sagging vinyl headliner myself... Nip/Tuck meets boat

Check this out.. a lightweight, fire- retardant, air-cored PVC hard surface sheet that will not mildew. 120mils thick for $1.35/sq.ft.. Various other thicknesses listed too. Says it can be "easily cut, sawed, drilled and fabricated"... and a few color choices to boot.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/pro...uct%5Fid=10432

Long live google search....
Old 24-01-2006, 18:36   #18
cruiser

Thanks everyone. I'm getting a lot closer to making the decision here. It's down to the white boards at Lowe's or possibly, if I can find it, the stuff I posted in my gallery. All the 2000+ model year boats seem to have it. It's a wonder there is nowhere to find it.

One of these days, (April 1st or so) I'll post a link to a section on our website that will have all of this work I keep rambling about done, and showcased.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 10:38   #19

Location: Currently based near Jacksonville FL; WHOOSH's homeport is St. Pete, FL USA
Boat: WHOOSH, Pearson 424 Ketch
Sean, sorry for the wild goose chase. You didn't find the 4'x8' sheet material I mentioned; it is white on both sides but with one side a bit less 'white' and reflective than the other. If you can imagine vinyl that is thick enough not to be floppy, to bend with resistance, and yet to be thin enough to cut with utility scissors, that's what I found. BTW I do have the remnants from my condo project and can give you the name...but alas, we're up north for another week and so I can't do it quickly. Be glad to oblige if you still have a need next week.

Too bad you can't post a good pic of your current 'headliner' (overhead panels). Might help channel the suggestions a bit. Just a thought...

Jack
Old 25-01-2006, 17:59   #20
cruiser

Thanks, Jack. The name of the material would be very helpful. I did find another 4x8 sheet that had bumpy ridges on one side, and just plain plastic on the other. Wasn't vinyl though... more of a rigid plastic. It's used in showers.

Well, I'm not so much looking for input on my current headliner/ceiling. It actually looks fine. It's just that I have to tear into it for a couple projects, and would like to update it to something more sleek and modern while I'm there. I'll be installing lighting there, and also have to get access to some wires, etc...

The headliner I'm trying to find is like that that's in every new boat. It's in the Jenneau DS's, and I even have a photo link in my gallery for clarification:

http://cruisersforum.com/photopost//...t=7&thecat=500

If I can't find that good stuff, I'm hoping to find some inexpensive stuff, like what you are suggesting.

Thanks for the help.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2006, 19:05   #21

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
go to home depot shower dept just got some for a friend there ,its a shower stall liner....jt