Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 08:07   #1

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
Question Need to Move Boat from West to East FL

Mods: sorry if this isn't in the correct forum, feel free to move it...

My situation is that I have recently purchased a 1975 Downeaster 38 Cutter It is at the sellers dock in Inglis, Fl on the Withlacoochie River near where it empties into the Gulf at Yankeetown. Inglis is in the "Big Bend" area of the west coast of Florida near Crystal River and Homossassa. It isnt the most reliable vessel just yet, so I am hesitant to take it far until I do some work on it.

I currently live in Orlando and have been driving the 2+ hours every weekend to go work on the boat. I would like to transport it close to me, perhaps even in Orlando to work on throughout the winter. It needs a serious bottom job and many other projects that require a haul out and time on the hard. The nearest DIY yard that I know of is Westland Marina in Titusville, so it is between that and someplace in Orlando. I figure if I use some sort of yard in Orlando, I would need to buy my own jack stands and whatnot, something I have to factor in. Can anyone offer an opinion on what to do here? Would it be worth the money to spend and put the boat up here in Orlando or go the safe route and use the DIY marina?

My real question is, how the heck do I get this boat out of the water and on a truck? What is involved in the process of getting a boat transported over land? Does anyone know of a haul out facility near Inglis/Yankeetown that I can get the boat to?

I really need some good advice, I am running out of time at the sellers dock and am getting more frustrated every day I don't have the boat near me to work on.

Thanks!
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:10   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
I would take it to the nearest DIY yard and get it hauled. Before you do this get towing insurance in case you have problems. I don't know the area so maybe someone else can help you with this. The other alternative is to get a crane (if it can get to the dock) and haul it onto a float and truck it where you want. You can get some idea of the cost from calling a couple of boat haulers. You'll have to pull the stick too. Crane time can add up fast.
Old 12-08-2009, 08:17   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I believe a member here did this, TRUCK, a year ago to Green Cove Springs at the cost of $1500 for a 33ft. O.I.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:28   #4

No answer only if you have a lot of work to do you need this boat to close to your home
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 08:52   #5

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
We are in Crystal River, I am pretty familiar with Inglis/Yankeetown as we have a friend there. The closest place that I know of is Twin Rivers in Crystal River, on the Salt River that could probably lift it out of the water, but you definitely don't want to have them do any work for you. Good luck
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
We are in Crystal River, I am pretty familiar with Inglis/Yankeetown as we have a friend there. The closest place that I know of is Twin Rivers in Crystal River, on the Salt River that could probably lift it out of the water, but you definitely don't want to have them do any work for you. Good luck
My concern is the 5' draft to get in and around Crystal River. Would that be a problem?
Old 12-08-2009, 13:17   #7

As long as you come in at high tide, you won't have a problem. I am assuming your boat is not sail. There are quite a few sailboats at anchor and at dock here in Kings Bay that have drafts of that and more, as well as power boats, we have 4'5" draft and always make sure we come in at high. Now if you are sail, you would have to contact Twin Rivers Marina, because there is a power line that crosses the river going in to their marina that keeps most sailboats out.
Old 12-08-2009, 13:18   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever View Post
As long as you come in at high tide, you won't have a problem. I am assuming your boat is not sail. There are quite a few sailboats at anchor and at dock here in Kings Bay that have drafts of that and more, as well as power boats, we have 4'5" draft and always make sure we come in at high. Now if you are sail, you would have to contact Twin Rivers Marina, because there is a power line that crosses the river going in to their marina that keeps most sailboats out.
yes, it's a sailboat with a 48' mast. Too high?
Old 12-08-2009, 15:30   #9

More than likely to get in to Twin Rivers, it is too high. You would have to check with them, to be sure.
Old 13-08-2009, 05:51   #10

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I rebuilt my boat on the east coast at Cape Marina in Cape Canveral which at the end of the Beeline Expressway. However, most everything, marinas and boatyards in the east coast areas reasonably close to Orlando are either quite full or quite expensive. And worse, they have so many restrictions on what you can and cannot do yourself that I feel you might be better off finding something on the west coast.
- - Trucking the boat to your backyard involves not only the truck and cranes at both ends but other considerations. Highways and roads have height and width and weight restrictions on what you can truck through. I believe the max width is about 8 feet without extra special permits. A boat hauling truck company should be able to accurately tell you the restrictions if you give them the dimensions of the boat. You might have to remove any bow sprites or stern appendages before loading on to the truck.
- - Then there is the land and community restrictions / zoning laws. Very few communities/neighborhoods will allow a boat to reside in a backyard. Normally speed boats on car trailers squeaks by - sometimes - but a 10+ foot tall by 40ft long boat is another matter. If you are out in the "boondocks" on land in a swamp where your nearest neighbor is five minutes away, then you might not have any problems. Otherwise check carefully first as having to move the boat twice could get rather expensive. You might know some "swamp dweller" who will allow you to use his field or whatever and that would solve the zonning problems if there are any.
Good luck! It just takes some research and on-site investigating to find a suitable place for the boat. It took me 6 months to find the best place back in 1990.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote