Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: What's the way to go here?
US Sailing Keelboat Course 1 33.33%
Community Boating 1 33.33%
You're way off, try this (post something below please) 1 33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2007, 23:48   #16

Boat: MacGregor 26M Lynx
Get with people and learn. It all depends on you and the group. Some are just racers, cruisers, stay at the dock, no kids, kids, anything or everything. Just depends on your location.

Ask some questions of each group to see which one is best for you. IF you have the time, read, read, read.
Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 01:44   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Sailing dinghy, outboard, anchor...

Buy the smallest useable sailing dinghy/trailer sailer that has an outboard and an anchor. Old and needing minor repairs is good.

Make sure you have all necessary safety equipment. Life jackets, EPIRB, hand VHF, immersion suit (if in a cold climate) etc.

Practice sailing, anchoring, docking, sailing, anchoring, docking until it can be done in your sleep.

While doing it learn to navigate (from charts, books etc) and to read the weather.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 06:52   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx
Get with people and learn. It all depends on you and the group. Some are just racers, cruisers, stay at the dock, no kids, kids, anything or everything. Just depends on your location.

Ask some questions of each group to see which one is best for you. IF you have the time, read, read, read.
Oh boy I am already deep in on the reading parth I am also ordered and received "Sailing Fundamentals" and "Start Sailing Right". Currently I am trying to hook up with people in my area, I think I'll go out with just about anyone who isn't a stay at the dock all the time person!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris31415
Buy the smallest useable sailing dinghy/trailer sailer that has an outboard and an anchor. Old and needing minor repairs is good.

Make sure you have all necessary safety equipment. Life jackets, EPIRB, hand VHF, immersion suit (if in a cold climate) etc.

Practice sailing, anchoring, docking, sailing, anchoring, docking until it can be done in your sleep.

While doing it learn to navigate (from charts, books etc) and to read the weather.
I have been pondering the idea of buying, but I was thinking I should probably know a little bit more before I buy, but I am certainly open to the idea if I can find something inexepensive enough!

Thanks again for all of the responses
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote