Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2015, 22:59   #16

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: New Antifoul

What f you put it on over your own antifoul and then next year nothing else sticks to the silicon based AF.. Youre up for a full removal back to bare hull to start again.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 23:50   #17
cruiser

After you coat anything with a silicon finish, you'll have trouble getting any petroleum or water based product to ever again stick to it. Even if you sand it off, somehow the silicon always seems to find it's way back. I used to run into this problem when I was in the piano rebuilding business. People would lovingly dust off their pianos for years using a silicon based cleaner, then we found it nearly impossible to strip and refinish the piano. Even after the finish is stripped off, some of that stuff is still hanging around.

Don't use it. Just get the cheap anti foul stuff and clean the bottom monthly. When I had a boat in California, my annual expense for a diver was never more than $500 for cleaning (usually $60 month for a 45ft boat). A cost which winds up less than the difference between to top rated anti foul and the cheap stuff.

Get a diver, or dive yourself.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 13:10   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Silicon and Silicone aka Sillycone are not the same thing. One is sand and the other gooey crap. The one with an e at the end is the spawn of the devil. Which one are we talking about here??

To hijack the thread, has there been any progress on non copper anti fouling?? Our good friends in Washington State are going to have to drop copper anti fouling soon and there have been attempts in California to ban copper antifouling. From what I have heard, the non copper paints are not good and will require yearly or sooner haul outs. That will greatly increase the cost of boat ownership for almost gain for the environment. Though I guess it's a gain for the politicians and boat yards.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 13:27   #19
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
From what I have heard, the non copper paints are not good and will require yearly or sooner haul outs. That will greatly increase the cost of boat ownership...
Non-copper anti fouling paints tend to be less effective than their copper-based counterparts, it's true. However, generalizing about how often any boat painted with one will have to be hauled is a fallacy. Any paint's effective lifespan is greatly influenced by the fouling conditions in which it is used and the maintenance regimen it receives.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 23:36   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff cashman View Post
We.have had the ocean guard on our cat for 3 weeks and the hull is covered in barnacles. We hauled out at boat works an put the new anti foul on. We have just had a message back from the company saying that the company that was producing it sub contracted it out to China.as a result the company is ruined and ceased selling the product!!!
Please advise anyone you know NOT to use it at this stage.
Geoff Cashman sv sensation
Hi Geoff I am in the same boat, and now need to remove this rubbish and reapply antifoul.
How ate you going to remove or over paint this stiff any suggestions?
Andrew van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 23:40   #21

I also used Oceangard antifoul and after 4 weeks my boat is covered with growth.
I need to haul out again and redo, but I am told I cannot paint over as it's got silicon in it.
Can it be sandblasted, sadered, chemical removal? My boat is fiberglass any suggestions?
Andrew van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 02:54   #22

Hi all,
I am new to this site and do not own a cat. of any type, but did grow up on an oyster farm, which has and is still in the family, since more than 100 years.
I now and have for the past 15 years been in the supply of high grade ropes and hardware for the commercial maritime and commercial fishing industries across Australia.
UNCANNLINGLY enough my wife had an encounter with a lady who came into her work, this woman had made a comment Re her yacht and they began to talk. Turns out they went the
extra mile after an encounter with the confident rep from this new Ocean Guard product you are referencing.
I might say, I hope you all that use this new product like oysters and also have a good reciepe for barnacles. Only after 2 weeks from using this product was it a disaster.
So please be aware and throughly investigate this story before use:
Thanks
SeaWolf OP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 05:08   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, SeaWolf.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 07:01   #24
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I refer everyone to post #6. This thread has provided many anecdotes validating my position on untested anti fouling coatings.

As someone who has been involved with anti fouling product testing and has seen new anti fouling "magic bullets" come and go, I can tell you there are very few examples where anything but well known, tried-and-true copper-based anti fouling paints have performed even reasonably well. Until a product has years of proven performance on hundreds of vessels in a variety of fouling conditions, you are gambling with your money, time and boat when you take a flyer like this.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 07:14   #25

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

There is another thread on here about it ...
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-144741.html

It's bad enough to get scammed, lose the money paid and then have to do it all again. But in this case the unfortunate victims will also have the additional cost of getting rid of the stuff, and that may be very difficult if it has silicone.

For what it's worth I doubt the seller was a victim of the Chinese supplier as he claims (post #9). Too many things point otherwise:
  • Business name too close to an existing name (would not have been approved)
  • Business name not registered
  • Website showing "Out of Stock" had no facility to buy although it was set up to look that way at first glance
  • Datasheets looked unprofessional with some ambiguities .. also mentioned a few posts earlier
  • Youtube promotional video (posted Nov 2014) showing samples after 25 months "untouched" just hanging off the dock in a marina .... is it believable that nobody noticed them and pulled them out in 2 years?
  • Testimonials sound very similar (same author?) with no details to verify them
  • New product, new business but testimonials refer to 2 years usage
The website appears to have been shut down, so some of my comments are from memory when this thread first appeared. For those that bought some, did you meet the seller? Same person as in the Youtube promotion?

After the story broke, and the website was still in operation, I called the listed mobile number, feigning interest. He claimed he had been let down by poor quality, but was waiting for more stock. He said it's an Australian company, with the product made in China, yet he said there were more stocks in USA .. does that make sense?

Just for clarification, he did say he had no connection to the similarly named OceanGuard company.

USA the next market??
Old 18-06-2015, 14:25   #26

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Yes & if you look at the video no marine growth on the lines attached to the plates. I have just come out at River Gate & the mess on the hulls for 6 weeks in the water is unbelievable. The removal is going to be a lot of work & expence. It didnot stay on props or shafts!!
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2015, 15:15   #27

When you get that stuff off, I can recommend Ameron ABC3.

It would probably be a good idea to use their chlorinated rubber primer too. Sigma Vikote 18, or Sigmacover 525 epoxy primer/tiecoat.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 13:57   #28
Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

After reading this thread, it appears that copper based anti-fouling is going to be going the way of R-12; It works better, but is worse for the environment, so it has to go. Having been in the appliance repair field, I know of those smart ones who stocked up on R-12 years ago when it was dollars a pound, and now, as some equipment Has to have it, it is still available, but at around $50 and I've seen near $100/lb. The reason I mention all this, is that I'm wondering if it would be wise for one to make a premptive purchase of the stuff, for the time when it won't be available any longer? I know that Freon doesn't have a shelf life, and that this type of product probably does, so if anyone knowlegeable on any of this could respond, that would be great.
alha is offline   Reply With Quote