Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2018, 21:32   #16

Boat: 50’ Bavaria
Re: New boat (I hope) and sailing blog!

I'm sure you could get a really nice bimini designed and fitted for less than the "options list" price (as would apply to everything else, such as the radar). The wonderous thing about a well organised bimini with clears down to the sprayhood is having the cockpit dry when the weather isn't. That's a whole new concept to me having sailed mostly in the UK
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 21:38   #17

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillsbury View Post
I'm sure you could get a really nice bimini designed and fitted for less than the "options list" price (as would apply to everything else, such as the radar). The wonderous thing about a well organised bimini with clears down to the sprayhood is having the cockpit dry when the weather isn't. That's a whole new concept to me having sailed mostly in the UK
Ah yes! Having some additional space that is weather protected and dry, that actually sounds like a very inviting idea.
Old 12-08-2018, 22:00   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
Congratulations. There's plenty to see in the Turku archipelago. That's a good start. And the kids may love the idea of short passages and lots of time in the islands and marinas .
Thank you!

And I do hope the kids will like it (or even love it).

It's a bit scary though, to see how they will take to it. I have been thinking a lot about what the first times on water should be like so as to get off to a good start. Perhaps some short trips (like a couple of hours or so) when it's warm and the wind is very light. Or maybe first just go spend some time aboard without actually leaving the harbour, to get familiar with being on a yacht.

Don't know. Good insights are appreciated
Old 12-08-2018, 22:55   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sailing Naked
Definitely be sure to keep the first experiences short, successful, comfortable and fun, even to the point of sleeping on the boat in the harbor the night before a really short outing. Let them call the shots if they want to go a little farther, but cut it short. Have someone along who knows what to do to help you so you won't end up yelling at family members and getting them panicked about doing something wrong and terrified to put even a scratch in the new boat. Don't freak out over scratches, scuffs, spills or dings. Just say "that's ok, that's normal!" with a smile, even if you are steaming on the inside.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 23:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Oh no. Now it feels a bit like stealing their thunder because I'm just a "fake" Naked Sailor .

I thank you warmly for your valuable advice. Will probably try to do it just like that.
Old 12-08-2018, 23:59   #21

I'm in the same "boat" as you. Introducing my teenage kids to sailing late in life and keeping my fingers crossed that they will like it. Mine is a bit more ambitious - Med next summer, then across the Atlantic, 5 months in the Caribbean and then back to the Med for 3 months ( they both have a year off school at the same time).

Going to start off with short trips, lot's of time spent at anchor, visiting new places. More about the fun side of sailing and exploring, instead of long boring passages. My boat is big enough for my kids to bring along a friend which should ease them into the life a little easier.

Good luck. Given good weather, most kids love the boat life but break them in slowly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Thank you!

And I do hope the kids will like it (or even love it).

It's a bit scary though, to see how they will take to it. I have been thinking a lot about what the first times on water should be like so as to get off to a good start. Perhaps some short trips (like a couple of hours or so) when it's warm and the wind is very light. Or maybe first just go spend some time aboard without actually leaving the harbour, to get familiar with being on a yacht.

Don't know. Good insights are appreciated
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 00:07   #22

Boat: Nauticat 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Cruisers & Sailing Forums - Sailing Naked
Definitely be sure to keep the first experiences short, successful, comfortable and fun, even to the point of sleeping on the boat in the harbor the night before a really short outing. Let them call the shots if they want to go a little farther, but cut it short. Have someone along who knows what to do to help you so you won't end up yelling at family members and getting them panicked about doing something wrong and terrified to put even a scratch in the new boat. Don't freak out over scratches, scuffs, spills or dings. Just say "that's ok, that's normal!" with a smile, even if you are steaming on the inside.
I support that. Make also sure that you leave space for your spouse to own and take control of those parts of the boat and those tasks and plans that might be of interest. Everybody should find one's own fun and hobbies in the boat.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 21:39   #23

Thank you again, Juho and B23iL23, for your comments.

It's a bit funny (and a bit scary) that we will have to wait for so long, until next summer, before we get a chance to try all of this in practice.

Tags
boat, sail, sailing, sailing blog