Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 22:12   #1

Boat: 45f5
New boat quality issues

Occasionally, I watch a few youtube sailing channels when I am unable to get to my own or during ongoing rehab session of a destroyed shoulder. Several have fairly recently bought new boats from well known brands. None are cheap (relatively) and most are multihulled, however I dont think this is relevant to the discussion. The one thing that has really stood out is the amount of failures each boat has suffered and surprisingly the severity of some of these failures. I understand that modern boats are becoming more and more complicated and with that, a certain number of warranty issues should be expected, however the shear number of failings and what has actually failed has shocked me to be honest. It doesnt seem to be focused on one area either. Structural, sails, rigging, plumbing, steering, mechanical, electrical issues have all have reared their ugly heads. Given the price being paid for these boats, I would not have expected this amount of quality issues should be expected/acceptable? Cant be good for the reputation of the makers? Or am I wrong? Wouldnt have been the first time.
Apollo19.5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 00:02   #2

Re: New boat quality issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo19.5 View Post
Occasionally, I watch a few youtube sailing channels when I am unable to get to my own or during ongoing rehab session of a destroyed shoulder. Several have fairly recently bought new boats from well known brands. None are cheap (relatively) and most are multihulled, however I dont think this is relevant to the discussion. The one thing that has really stood out is the amount of failures each boat has suffered and surprisingly the severity of some of these failures. I understand that modern boats are becoming more and more complicated and with that, a certain number of warranty issues should be expected, however the shear number of failings and what has actually failed has shocked me to be honest. It doesnt seem to be focused on one area either. Structural, sails, rigging, plumbing, steering, mechanical, electrical issues have all have reared their ugly heads. Given the price being paid for these boats, I would not have expected this amount of quality issues should be expected/acceptable? Cant be good for the reputation of the makers? Or am I wrong? Wouldnt have been the first time.
Yep, this is just the way it is, unless you are getting an extremely basic boat without all the “stuff” needed or that’s perceived to be needed to be a bluewater cruiser. Keep it simple and the time to shake things out goes down. No manufacturer is immune from this although some handle the warranty process better than others. If you want a boat that’s as ready to go as possible, go find a 2 year old boat that’s been shaken out by an owner with deep pockets, but then their plans change for some reason (aka life happens). Buying new just means Not Everything Works.
Kinkircating is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, new boat