Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27   #16

Re: New Foul Weather Set $85 - GREAT!

Must be a Europe thing. It's less than one hundred bucks here and they do free shipping on your first order I think.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:30   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I am skeptical of foulies with no brand name, no country of origin, no details on materials and warranty.

I know the Chnese and others can do great knock-offs, but I want some assurance that three years from now in a driving storm, it isn't going to open up and leak like a seive.

Which, I should mention, my gen-you-whine GoreTex jacket did one year. And GoreTex said 'Sorry about that, mail it to us so we can confirm that and start looking around for a new one, we'll buy it for you."

Took all the sting out of the gen-you-whine-Gore price, it did.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:53   #18

Boat: Tartan 30

Gore-Tex is out of patent (for many years now), the original was better than anything for a long time, but the generics are just as good these days. (judging from backpacking, working outdoors, and sailing. and using various breathable fabrics throughout).

This is a knockoff gore-tex. Not original. Made in China.

But I can attest that the stitching is good and the layering and features (of the bibs atleast) are just as good as the west-marine brand. I can't compare them to Musto or Gill.... I really don't like the way the WM fits, and it's probably not as well made as this Chinese knockoff (but only time will tell).

Here is the link to an ebay seller with the same stuff. They've been selling this for a few years now. It was a lot more expensive last year when I was shopping for it. 3-layer Breathable Offshore Sailing Fishing Jacket & Trousers Suit | eBay

As for buying name brands, go for it its you're money. $100 for these, or $400 for Musto's (here in the US). I don't see anything else less than $300 for a pair of offshore bibs and jacket.

PS: I'm not just defending this brand because I own it. But, the entire idea of using generic brands over name-brand stuff. When patents run out, there is no reason to buy from the big guys anymore. Unless you're really sappy about supporting a certain corporation...
Old 05-02-2012, 13:00   #19

Boat: 33ft sloop

As I said, I am going to try it. I do not like to run around as a big billboard with huge brandname to show that I can spare some cash for fashionable gear.
I can do without all that and it is a fact that today almost everything is produced in China, even most of the big brandnames.
And for those 150 Euro' s I can just find a jacket. So the trouser comes free and they cost mostly as much as the jacket.
To continue ........
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:06   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I agree wth you about patents after expiring, but that's only half the issue. Long before the GT patent expired, I managed to catch the zipperpull on my Marmot (brand) GT ski jacket is a car door. Broke the slider. The nice folks at Marmot (also a not cheap company) said don't worry, send it back, we'll replace the zipper.

Next week i get a phone call, we've got your jacket but the GT is delaminating, Gore asked us to send it back to their lab. Would you mind picking any new comparabel jacket from our new line?

See, that's the kind of service that a handful of vendors still provide. I find that kind of service is worth something over the "no name counterfeit goods fly by night" folks. If I was going to wear it once...sure cheap is good. But as I sat, literally soaking wet with a lake forming under me, when my first pair of cheap foulies left me doing the laundry, I said never again.

No brand name? No real warranty or assurance as to the product or the maker's reputation? Pass. Anyone can make microporous teflon, the question is, can they do it right, and will they do the right thing by me?

After I did the laundry I did luck into a HenryLloyd model year clearance, since it didn't cost blood money. And my GT hasn't come from chandleries, so it wasn't quite so dear. I very much appreciate budget, I just try not to buy cheap and pay dearly.

WRT billboards...<G>...I don't like to wear names unless I'm gettting $pon$ored by them. When I was racing in my Marmot, I added black velcro straps over their logos because I didn't want to argue about advertising and logo sizes.

I know one fellow who had a second alligator embroidered slightly above and behind the usual one on his polo shirt. People would often take a look, take a second look, and then start to fumble. Logos can be fun.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 13:32   #21

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I agree wth you about patents after expiring, but that's only half the issue. Long before the GT patent expired, I managed to catch the zipperpull on my Marmot (brand) GT ski jacket is a car door. Broke the slider. The nice folks at Marmot (also a not cheap company) said don't worry, send it back, we'll replace the zipper.

Next week i get a phone call, we've got your jacket but the GT is delaminating, Gore asked us to send it back to their lab. Would you mind picking any new comparabel jacket from our new line?

See, that's the kind of service that a handful of vendors still provide. I find that kind of service is worth something over the "no name counterfeit goods fly by night" folks. If I was going to wear it once...sure cheap is good. But as I sat, literally soaking wet with a lake forming under me, when my first pair of cheap foulies left me doing the laundry, I said never again.

No brand name? No real warranty or assurance as to the product or the maker's reputation? Pass. ANnone can make microporous teflon, the question is, can they do it right, and will they do the right thing by me?

After i did the laundry I did luck into a HenryLloyd model year clearance, since it didn't cost blood money. And my GT hasn't come from chandleries, so it wasn't quite so dear. I very much appreciate budget, I just try not to buy cheap and pay dearly.
Well sure, that's nice and all... but at 4x the price, you could buy a new one everytime it wears out for the next 10 years without any warranty or customer service at all (unless it wore out every year, but since I've had mine over a year now, that myth is abolished).

Anyway, these are produced in China by a the same company that makes Navis marine gear, if anyone is interested in doing research... The company is called TCM (don't know what that stands for)

Also, I've never had a problem returning things to a Chinese Manufacturer and getting replacements. Even without warranty or proof of purchase. They are not as red-tape oriented as the western world. It just takes longer... I've had replacement items sent to me from Chinese ebayers (not even manufacturers) based on my word alone, before I'd even sent the item back yet...It just takes actually talking to them to find out they're not in the business of ripping people off. Maybe some are, I hear the stories...

But this is just my preference... I'll buy a North Face jacket at a thrift store or ebay, but I would NEVER buy one from a retailer because of the price difference. Customer service isn't all its cracked up to be when you plan on dealing with things on you're own terms anyway.
Old 05-02-2012, 14:09   #22

Boat: 33ft sloop

A Jacket from Navis Marine - only jacket - sells for Pstg 219,- abt 285 Euro.

See the difference? Same producer. Just a fashionable sticker and bam, double price.
MacG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 14:14   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

It's not excessively expensive stuff, but am excessively proud that my wife's two most expensive outfits are her foulies and her wet suit!
Old 05-02-2012, 14:47   #24

Boat: Beneteau 393

Awesome, thanks for sharing! We ordered two sets for less than the cost of one jacket from a name-brand "off-season" special we were looking at- thanks!!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20   #25

Boat: Hunter Helsen 470

I just purchased these yesterday. The cost was $64.99 US and free shipping. I recieved a $20.00 discount. Could be because I have ordered from Overstock before.
Wench'sCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:25   #26

Boat: Tartan 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wench'sCaptain View Post
I just purchased these yesterday. The cost was $69.00 US and free shipping. I recieved a $20.00 discount. Could be because I have ordered from Overstock before.

Wow ..... great deal! I think you will love them. I've read the comments about off-brand etc...., but they are very well made and if that is any indication they will be around a long time.

BTW ..... The bib and the jacket are both tagged with "brand name" Cordura and Teflon tags, if that means anything.

Stay dry and warm,
Darby
Cruising Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:59   #27

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Darby... now just find a set that would fit my size 2 wife! I thinks men's medium would be a little big for her.
Matt Johnson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:28   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Darby... now just find a set that would fit my size 2 wife! I thinks men's medium would be a little big for her.

She is a size 2, she gets no sympathy. Besides .... it would be a shame to cover up her cute little body.

It is true though, I have friends on both sides of "average" and they have trouble making clothing purchases and end up spending much more money than the rest of us. However, on the tiny side like your wife -- there are typically more left behind and on the sale racks

As an aside, the lady my husband purchased our Tartan 37 (Vanora) from was 5 feet tall and about 98 pounds and she sailed single-handed. Impressive.

Darby
Old 06-02-2012, 10:35   #29

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'
A question about the foulies. Do they have a fly so you don't have to take them down if you're male? Avon did this for a bit but that set is falling apart and needs to be replaced. SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailcruiser View Post
A question about the foulies. Do they have a fly so you don't have to take them down if you're male? Avon did this for a bit but that set is falling apart and needs to be replaced. SC
They zip all the way down, but they have a panel pleated in and sewn in behind the zipper so water doesn't leak inside through the zipper. So, really, no fly -- you would have to do like "us" (females) and take them down -- well a little bit anyway.

Darby

Tags
weather, foul weather gear