Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2021, 03:01   #1

New Garmin depth transducer....should I?

Recently bought up a great package cheap from an area water rescue unit. Consists of a Garmin 742 plotter, Garmin HD18 radar and a Garmin GT51M-TH CHIRP depth transducer
and all the associated cabling and black boxes.
Question is......
The transducer is chunky and of the external type. All transducers I've seen all sailboats are of the flush mount type. This unit provides so much information back to the helm in addition to depth.....fish...bottom contours....sideview that I am tempted to install it even though it's marketed for power/fishing boats.
How much would I really lose in speed anyway on a 40 ft mono. By biggest concern would be straps in the travel lift but I can clearly mark it's position on deck.
Any opinions out there why this is something I should not do.
Thanks in advance, David
tanton37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2021, 05:44   #2

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner
Re: New Garmin depth transducer....should I?

I don’t think it would make one jot of a difference to speed on any boat, unless you allow it to become encrusted with growth. It would be nice to have the added data though, you would see that pod of whales miles away.
Old 22-11-2021, 07:22   #3

Boat: Maine Cat 38
Re: New Garmin depth transducer....should I?

I installed this same transducer/ mfd combination on a prior boat. The transducer was epoxied directly to the interior surface of the hull exterior glass layer. I reinforced the interior side of the exterior glass layer, so the transducer was shooting through about 6 mm of fiberglass. Resolution was excellent.

No drag. The transducer shows the depth before the keel.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, garmin, transducer