Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-07-2016, 06:09   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post

Why do people ask these questions?
Because they are unhappy with their life and think a boat will fix it.
Old 14-07-2016, 06:18   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Maybe it is me getting older and I guess discouragement comes with that, but I think the American dream is dieing. You know that no matter what I do if I work hard at it, am good at it and save money, we will enjoy the good life one day.
You can't do that on a Walmart or Mcdonald's salary.

Or maybe it is the younger generation that want to skip that work hard and save part and go straight to enjoying the good life?

But two things seem more prevalent here than it seems they were only a couple of years ago (I've only been here three or so myself).
1. I have $10K to spend and want to sail around the world, which boat to buy for less than $10K is suitable for such a voyage?
2. We have to have at least a 50' Cat to have enough room to be comfortable.

Those are so diametrically opposed to each other that I don't what to think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 06:48   #18

Boat: 2019 Saona 47

They're just asking and I can't fault them for that. Hell, I am in the same boat, so to speak, except I have been fortunate enough to approach it with a realistic budget and, knock on wood, a modest, if not decent, income stream in retirement. I suspect that it will not take long for reality to set in. One look at a $10K boat and the appeal of living aboard will likely die, if not, they will go broke PDQ trying to fix the most basic items. Hell, I would love a 50' Cat, but paying for it might pose an issue, so we will adjust our sights and focus on getting out there on something we can afford.
HighTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:05   #19

I don't understand any of the live aboard threads when it's people who have never even sailed!!!!

I don't know why you would want to live in a boat unless you already have an addiction to being on a boat which probably means you either already have the boat or you have a boat but need to upgrade to something more suitable.

I think it is fun to live on the boat, but only if you go out cruising and not as a home away from your 9-5.

I could only consider living aboard and working unless it's because I have a short term work contract in a city that is on the water and new to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-07-2016, 07:09   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
I don't understand any of the live aboard threads when it's people who have never even sailed!!!!

I don't know why you would want to live in a boat unless you already have an addiction to being on a boat which probably means you either already have the boat or you have a boat but need to upgrade to something more suitable.

I think it is fun to live on the boat, but only if you go out cruising and not as a home away from your 9-5.

I could only consider living aboard and working unless it's because I have a short term work contract in a city that is on the water and new to me.

Everyone is different...
Perhaps good to remember that...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:29   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

We moved aboard young with only dinghy sailing experience.
We lived aboard while keeping full employment for many years.
We never hesitated to ask questions from experienced people.
We were commonly unable to budget $10,000 for anything.
We had babies while living aboard without problems.

....and we could not have done this as we did 45 years ago if we just had jobs at McDonalds or Walmart.

I see no problem with inexperienced people asking questions, even if they're old questions that we've heard before.
Old 14-07-2016, 07:32   #22

I do understand that everyone is different.

On a side note, in my Corfu marina, the two yachts that are totally uncared for (one is a pile of junk) are live aboard yachts that never leave their pen. The real junk one was moved to elsewhere in the marina, possibly for better access to the facilities, but more likely because the new marina management removed some abandoned yachts and probably moved the pile of junk because the rich super yacht customers would have to walk past it. It looked so bad I don't blame them if they were responsible.

Anyway, I wouldn't want any $10,000 live aboard's in my part of the marina if they are not boat interested....

Old 14-07-2016, 07:33   #23

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedpassway View Post
...and sail around the world.

Why do people ask these questions? Do they think that sailing on the ocean is like sailing on a calm lake that is just a little bigger?

Are people getting dumber, or are they trying for the Darwin Awards?

I'm appalled at how people think that its like buying a used motor home and getting out on the open road.
Maybe people are not worldly, suave and debonair as yourself. Or maybe they are not all knowing and a sailing oracle like you. Or just maybe they are unknowing and would like to gain knowledge from hopefully kind and experienced people.
My take is you didn't get enough attention at this thread http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...pe-169409.html and came here.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 07:42   #24
CLOD

Quote:
It's the dream! I only got into boating to travel and only got into sailing because at the time fuel was over $5/gallon and I didn't think we could afford to travel at rate. I researched the whole thing for 2 years before I ever sailed a day and CF was part of that (but I never asked any "what type of boat" stupid question because I know how to run a search first )
Old 14-07-2016, 07:49   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
It's the dream! I only got into boating to travel and only got into sailing because at the time fuel was over $5/gallon and I didn't think we could afford to travel at rate. I researched the whole thing for 2 years before I ever sailed a day and CF was part of that (but I never asked any "what type of boat" stupid question because I know how to run a search first )
If the dream is to live aboard and cruise, that's fantastic. But if it's to buy a boat that is firmly fixed to the dock, then those people should consider the more traditional solution and watch Jerry Springer from a caravan park.

Old 14-07-2016, 08:03   #26

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by AD28 View Post
More to the point:

Why is it that the people who ask "New, have $10K, family, and baby want to live aboard and sail around the world."

NEVER have any understanding of search engines and search engine techniques?
Well, I am sure a search engine brought them to CF where they were hoping to get some friendly conversation regarding their ideas. Stupidly they might even think advice from live people will point them in the right direction. Instead they will be met with hostility and distain for daring to try to talk to others instead of slogging through millions of papes of net content that, often, is conflicting advice and ideas.

Omg its so uncool and unfair to disturb the experts who just want to fart around in their own, exclusive, club without asking them to dirty their thoughts with the worst horror....being new and confused.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:09   #27
CLOD

Quote:
If the dream is to live aboard and cruise, that's fantastic. But if it's to buy a boat that is firmly fixed to the dock, then those people should consider the more traditional solution and watch Jerry Springer from a caravan park.

Doesn't matter to me why people want a boat. If they just want to live on it next to the dock I'm fine with it. But just like for my land house the same rules apply, don't be a run down eye-sore for the neighborhood etc. But this is a different thread topic. This is about the "never sailed but want to get a cheap boat and sail around the world" people. Those are mostly unhappy dreamers I feel.
Old 14-07-2016, 08:09   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:

Gosh Hoppy... Maybe they like the motion of the boat at the dock to live on...
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:09   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Hudson,
It should be remembered that when you started out, I bet you could buy a nice, new automobile for $3K, and the average house cost $30K.
$10K isn't much anymore, unfortunately.
I just looked it up average house cost in 1975 was $39,500
Now it's $358,900 ?
https://ycharts.com/indicators/avera...sold_in_the_us

The Walmart, McDonald's comment was based on I believe the good paying, manufacturing type jobs are gone, or disappearing

Last edit, I promise.
It's going to be very tough for our Children and Grandkids to do what we have done
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2016, 08:11   #30
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
Stupidly they might even think advice from live people will point them in the right direction.
Amateur newbies But even those of us who have been here a while make the same mistake over and over

Tags
family