Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2018, 09:41   #1

Boat: Ted brewer 40
New here new boat

Aloha. Just bought a 39.9 ted brewer custom built in 2000 with a 46 Perkins. Fiberglass. I’m a full time captain on Maui with the plan of atw in a few more years or more. This is my first big sailboat. I’ve owned much smaller and hated them. Kolea was built on the north shore of Oahu. I think I got her at a good price and she has tons of potential once we learn about each other intimately. Any thoughts info advice?
https://www.popyachts.com/sloop-sailboats-for-sale/brewer-custom-build-brewer-design-39-in-honolulu-hawaii-149661
Tim francis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 17:55   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: New here new boat

Have fun! Looks like a capable boat.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 18:49   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Looks home made, better get a good surveyor.
Good luck though.
Old 10-11-2018, 19:29   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard Tim! Interesting looking boat, I couldn't see all the photos though. Some serious freeboard there! Hope she works out very well for you.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:06   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:33   #6

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Enjoy and welcome to CF.
Old 11-11-2018, 09:36   #7

Boat: None at this time.

Congratulations! Looks nice.

I may be prying too much (in which case feel free to ignore my questions) but:
a. What prompts the broker to halve the price?
b. What was the contractual price.

I'm curious only because I hope to be a buyer at this time next year, so this information goes into my spreadsheet that I've been building on interesting used sailboats.

Thanks.
ppvora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:15   #8

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 33

I suspect with a good surveyor you will have a list of issues in most of the boats systems to deal with. As you work through the list you will learn about each system, as well as wiring, plumbing, electronics, needed upgrades, etc.. This work up, coupled with short shake down cruises is how we can become more competent and knowledgeable. Best of luck. Bob, S/V Shamrock
Robert E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:45   #9

Welcome about mate.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 11:13   #10

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Congratulations! Looks great, I also live on Maui but my boat is in Raiatea.
Where will you be keeping her, Mala? Hope to meet up one day.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 13:01   #11

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

Aloha Tim: we keep our Pearson 424 ketch at Keehi Marina on Sand Island, O'ahu. Back on board soon while we hide from winter. If you come over to the Rock this winter, I'd enjoy buying you a beer at La Mariana and draining you for info on marinas and anchorage options on Maui. Mahalo. A hui hou no.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 13:44   #12

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

Hey Tim, Looks like there is some potential there if you know what your doing. I'll be in Maui in December. If your around I'd love to take a look.

Mark
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 18:21   #13

Thanks everyone. I think the original asking price. Was 51000
Then down quick to 37000. When I noticed the owner I’m assuming, dropped to 27000 for a quick sale is when I offered 23000 and we settled for 26000 with the dingy. Maui totally sucks for slips and moorings for the most part. There’s also no liveaboards allowed on Maui. I’m having a mooring built for around six grand with a lot of red tape involved. Mala is ideal for a mooring but I work out of Kihei boat ramp so there’s a mooring area north of Kihei. Everything’s solar minus ac units. So no need for shore power. It comes with a new Honda 2000. So no shore power needed. 125 gallon holds for water. 40 gallon diesel tank. I’m 39 and grew up on freshwater. Bought my first offshore fishing boat when I was 23. I was a fireman for eight years before running boats for a living. So I’m still learning a lot. My last job, I ran a 70 good head boat fiberglass over wood twin 3406 e with Genset. Learned about how the shipyard work is. The sailing aspect is mostly totally new to me. I’ll learn as I go. Baby steps. I can do most all my own maintenance. The good news is I paid cash and no money owed. My captain salary goes strait to savings with no bills so there’s extra money building up for anything I need. I’ll live on the boat. The owner just needed money and is leaving the navy on Oahu to the mainland so I’m guessing why I got a decent price on her. Bottom cleaned and scrubbed every month. Rigging is supposedly solid but haven’t had it inspected. The survey showed value of 55000. Insurance through progressive is either 1600 or two thousand depending on if I insure it at fifty grand or twenty six. What I paid for it. Not sure what to do on that. Two hundred if I do liability only a year. I haven’t had the engine looked at by someone that knows more than me yet so kinda a gamble there. I lived in my van for almost two years to save the money so to move up to the boat alone is worth it to me. Survey was thorough with very minor things. No empire watermaker or life raft yet. I’ll spend the next few months getting her closer to sail around the islands. I only have two days off a week so nothing major. One question is how much money do I need to save in the next few years before making a big crossing or two. I can save easily 28000 a year with my job. The rest is food and fuel. Not to get ahead of myself, I was planning on stockpiling money for three or four years depending on what it costs me in maintenance and whatnot a year that goes to the boat. I figured sixty grand in the bank should get me quite aways. The goal is around the world with hopefully jobs in between. No problems with me in regards to a month at a time on the boat.
Old 11-11-2018, 20:17   #14

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

You did good Tim!
Take your friends sailing one day a week and you'll learn plenty. Call me if you have room, 280 4225. Cruising can be very cheap, you started out with an affordable boat, so should be able to cruise the S Pacific for 6 months and come back for work the other 6. No problem, lets talk!
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 21:24   #15

Steve, you’ll be very welcome to come aboard. I’m not sure how quick I’ll pick things up in regards to the boat and rigging. I would appreciate any help to get started all the captains and crew I work with are super stoked and ready to go out often. I’m a fisherman so I’ll be fishing a lot too already getting four of my tiagras shipped over and I’ll grab a few rods for bottom fishing. I totally got burned out on fishing but the passion is creeping back. I have your number saved. Hopefully bringing it back the twenty third from Oahu. If not then the 27th. I could use someone experienced to fly over with me if my local friend ends up not being able to go like he said. Pay for flight and food

Tags
boat