Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2021, 16:53   #46
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Mid Size versus Day Sailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
In talking with a sales person about their boats (I know to be careful) I'm told that learning to sail on a mid-size boat is easier than a day sailor. I know this is not true on a powerboat so I have to ask if this makes any sense?

Are day sailors (two sails) that much different than a mid size (30' - 40') sail boat. Thanks

John
On a smaller boat you get immediate feedback from your actions so good for practicing basics but not that comfortable.
Larger, it is more muted and delayed

You already have the seamanship, just need to learn to gauge the wind and forces better so a comfortable platform is probably better for you.

Golden rule ....if you are fighting a sail or running line, you are doing something basically wrong.
Stop and have a look!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 18:27   #47

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
In talking with a sales person about their boats (I know to be careful) I'm told that learning to sail on a mid-size boat is easier than a day sailor. I know this is not true on a powerboat so I have to ask if this makes any sense?

Are day sailors (two sails) that much different than a mid size (30' - 40') sail boat. Thanks

John
Sounds like that salesperson was trying to sell you a mid-size boat. I would definitely disagree with that. The muscle memory and instincts you gain in a responsive small boat will serve you well as you scale up.

You mentioned cat boat earlier, and I am pretty sure you were not talking about a catamaran, and I think some here may not have gotten that. It's really a good question but I think a cat boat is a good choice at this stage if you live in an area where those are available and you are sailing in places without big swells it's a good choice. The cat boat will not heel as much and can give you a feeling of fast acceleration which is great for learning and for fun.

looks like these kids are having fun here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brezinup.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	300.0 KB
ID:	234352  
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2021, 18:56   #48

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Sounds like that salesperson was trying to sell you a mid-size boat. I would definitely disagree with that. The muscle memory and instincts you gain in a responsive small boat will serve you well as you scale up.

You mentioned cat boat earlier, and I am pretty sure you were not talking about a catamaran, and I think some here may not have gotten that. It's really a good question but I think a cat boat is a good choice at this stage if you live in an area where those are available and you are sailing in places without big swells it's a god choice. The cat boat will not heel as much and can give you a feeling of fast acceleration which is great for learning and for fun.

looks like these kids are having fun here
Not to pile on, but Don and Pelagic make a point that can't be overstated.

Small-boat handling teaches "feel." I'll be below doing something and I can tell from the slightest motion/sound/shadow that someone up top has taken us off the ideal point of sail, or the wind has shifted, or we're overpowered, etc. etc.

You pick that sense up by sailing, and learn it real fast by the instant feedback you get from smaller, responsive boats (the Soling is 27 feet but it's light and very responsive).

You learn how to avoid such calamities as accidental jibes. You don't have an outboard, so you have to learn the upwind skills to get where you want to go.

Heading into Boston, if you have the misfortune of a stiff NW breeze at the head of a front and an ebb tide, you have to be able to sail upwind efficiently if you want to get home before the rain hits.

One time in these conditions I passed a C & C 34 that was basically stuck, because it's auxiliary had crapped out, and its crew couldn't sail high enough or tack sharply enough that they basically lost all progress on each tack, and were stuck in the narrow entry to the harbor. They'd get in eventually, but they'd get wet first.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:47   #49

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21
Re: New Member - Going the opposite direction?

Consider a medium displacement boat with a skeg hung rudder. Rudder is protected, and the drag of the skeg makes the hull act more like a full keel.
Nauticat and Fisher make lovely pilot house motor sailors. Fishers have smaller pilot houses, so I prefer the Nauticat, with big trawler like galley on deck wheelhouses.

Well built cold molded boats are a bargain! If the hull has glass/epoxy inside and out, they're very strong, and easy to repair if necessary. Also suitable for a new build, although for new, I would suggest a glass hull to start. Gets you going faster, and resale value is much better.
Look into building your boat in Port Townsend, Washington. Cape George Cutters have several hull molds, and they cater to owner builders, with expert help and a good wood shop. Some owner built boats there come out better than the professionally built ones, because of the time owners can invest.
With a new build, you can have your wheelhouse on whatever hull you like. Go for a big, galley on deck trawler style. You won't be sorry.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:31   #50

Tartian Sailboats

Curious what everyone thinks about Tartian Sailboats for quality and performance? Which other builders offer similar quality and performance offshore? thanks
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:36   #51

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Tartian Sailboats

Quote:
Curious what everyone thinks about Tartian Sailboats for quality and performance? Which other builders offer similar quality and performance offshore? thanks
Cal. .
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 19:53   #52

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

I don´t do to much Forum sailing. Problem is, offshore there is still no Internet available. Ever since I started sailing, I have these 3 books on boaard and always overgo them again. They are from US Sailing, even do in Europe people smile at them. Here are the ISBN
9781882502272 Basic cruising
9781882502301 Bareboat cruising
9781882502219 Basic Keelboat

Probably these 3 books respond to most of your questions. The last One does advertising for Hunter boats? Just don´t buy a Hunter. My One lies aground of Nicaragua... that´s all I will tell ya...
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 20:03   #53

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

Roland - Most of the comments that I've read are pretty good, but there wa one that is head and shoulders above the rest is "The best way to make the transition is to spend some time sailing a small open dinghy. You learn the feel of things in a way you never will in a cruising boat." But there is one caveat - if you are too old dinghy sailing may be beyond the capabilities of how flexible and quick you can move. I think you said you're in or near San Diego. If that is correct see yf you can get lessons there. First sessions in a Sabot, then in something like a FJ (a two person boat, usually in a group set of lessons where you'll partner with another student), next in a larger dinghy (like an ODay Day Sailer (or whatever the San Diego equivalent is). Then in a small keelboat like a Soling or such. By that time (or before) you should have already decided if you're still interested in becoming a sailor or not, and if you think you need more lessons. As far as what boat for singlehanding, I have singlehanded my Cal 39 in the San Francisco delta from San Francisco to Stockton, and also from San Francisco to Hawaii. (The latter trip was much easier.) As for a wooden boat - my opinion - I really don't prefer working on a boat to saiing her. With a fiberglass boat you'll probably spend an hour of maintenance for every month of sailing. With a wood boat probably reverse those proportions. Further, defer maintennce too long and a wood boat is poor firewood. With a fiberglass boat you're in for a lot of hard work if you let the maintenance go It is doable for an 86 year old man (me). Forget a wood boat unless you really like woodwork more than sailing.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 20:21   #54

Boat: Albin Vega 27 / Ericson E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
As for a wooden boat - my opinion - I really don't prefer working on a boat to saiing her. With a fiberglass boat you'll probably spend an hour of maintenance for every month of sailing. With a wood boat probably reverse those proportions. Further, defer maintennce too long and a wood boat is poor firewood. With a fiberglass boat you're in for a lot of hard work if you let the maintenance go It is doable for an 86 year old man (me). Forget a wood boat unless you really like woodwork more than sailing.
A couple of years ago I saw in Monte Carlo a 50 and something racing sailboat from early 1900 and was fascinated by its beauty. Then, I met the owner and I congratulated him for the boat. Of course he was soooo happy to get a "nice" comment. We chatted a while and I delicately made him the question, if I could afford his boat? He stated! Iám not a sailor but a show off. I do have my boat in Monte Carlo (also named Monaco) and I rent the boat out during the high season and the F1 race. That akes up a bit of the cost the boat originated. But sailing? Hell no... I couldn´t afford the cost of the sails...

Take the advise not to go for a wooden boat. It´s the best you can have in a lifetime... they are so nice But like women? The nicer they are, the more expensive they become. And believe me. They are like a bad investment. You´ll never get back what you paid for originally!
Albinvega27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2021, 22:04   #55

Re: Tartian Sailboats

Quote:
Tartans have a good reputation for build quality and sailing characteristics. Which models and years were you looking at?
Cal, Pearson, Columbia, Cheoy Lee, Morgan, Alberg and more all have good and lesser models. Cape Dory is widely respected. There are many, just list what kind of priorities you have to narrow it down.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 14-03-2021, 09:28   #56

Tartan

Sorry about the spelling regarding the question about the quality and ease of sailing a Tartan sailboats. what does everyone think about this builder?
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2021, 21:22   #57

Check Yankees too! 26, 28, 30. The 26 and 30 are Sparkman and Stephens designs. Good rep for those boats. Ask Jim Cate here! Tartan 30 is very similar to the Yankee 30, maybe the same design, (also a S&S design. Many of Tartans are S&S)
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 15-03-2021, 05:43   #58

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail sfbay View Post
Could it be that a cat is like buying and maintaining two mono hull sailboats?

Yes and the motion would be similar to a power boat?

Tags
member, new member