Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 20:16   #16

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Re: New Nicaraguan Canal Deal !

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
How so? Panama operates the PC.
Can you spot any Chinese fellow(s)? I can't. I expect Panamanians to do what's in their interest, not the Chinese.

Old 07-06-2014, 20:25   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
However, the most important indicator of China’s growing influence is its control over the ports at both ends of the Panama Canal. China has been operating these ports since 2000 and their influence inside Panama has grown as indicated by a bill submitted last year to the legislature that mandates teaching Mandarin in all Panamanian public schools.[ii]
The Menges' Americas Report: China’s Control of the Panama Canal Revisited.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 21:55   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

Wei?
Old 08-06-2014, 05:23   #19

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Interesting. The author seems to be a conspiracy theory type, but looks like the relationship is actually there. I assume they are required to use Panamanian staff because that's all you see on the ground and hear on the VHF.

And, even if some operational aspects are subbed out, Panama still has sovereign control of the canal (unlike during the USA era).

The USA also of course subs out some port operations. Remember the big flap just post 9-11 when a major port (forget which) was going to be subbed to an Arab country (Dubai maybe?)?

Subbing out management is a lot different that turning over ownership.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:38   #20

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Interesting. The author seems to be a conspirach theory type, but looks like the relationship is actually there. I assume they are required to use Panamanian staff because that's all you see and hear on the VHF.

And, even if some operational aspects are subbed out, Panama still has sovereign control of the canal (unlike during the USA era).

The USA also of course subs out some port operations. Remember the big flap just post 9-11 when a major port (forget which) was going to be subbed to an Arab country (Dubai maybe?)?

Subbing out management is a lot different that turning over ownership.
However, in a autocratic state like China, I suspect the relationship between gov and biz is a close one. And, China/Taiwan are making major political in roads in Central American in general. I see lots of Taiwan funded projects all over CA. I don't see another canal as a threat to the USA but China expanding its sphere of influence could certainly be cause for concern.

The Monroe Doctrine was intended to keep European powers from usurping control in Central/South America (so of course that the USA could usurp it instead). Those were simpler times when imperial forces actually occupied their target countries (as we did the Canal Zone). Financial/Cyber imperialism is a much more complex beast.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:39   #21

Someone mentioned that it will be a sea level canal. That is no where close to reality. The plan is to use Lake Nicaragua as the primary reservoir feeding locks similar to how the Panama Canal works.

I suspect the US military isn't too worried about it. If things get bad enough that military considerations come to bear, we have enough forces close enough to destroy it within a day. Economically, we no longer own the Panama Canal so the lower shipping costs benefit us greatly.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:01   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Huh?

Maybe the freedom-loving Sandanistas who took back their country from a USA supported dictator.
It could be a new cruising route for rich western tourists in catamarans. Though one canal down to the other and back again. You could even run it as as a 3 month rally especially now that the Indian Ocean is completely stuffed. Close to home for those from North America, nice weather and locals who like peeps spending dollars, oh this is sounding better by the minute. Now were is that Jimmy Cornell chap when you need him.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Nicaragua