Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2013, 05:45   #1

New Sailor

I am just beginning to dig into this new adventure of sailing. I have no experience actually sailing, but I have been on a sailboat and had an "experience" enough to perk my interest in this hobby, sport, or way of life. I am in the process of taking my first steps into the sailing world by enrolling in a sailing class. I figure that would be the first step if any.

I'm looking for some insight on where to begin? There is so much information online and it is a bit overwhelming at times. Maybe you can share with me your stories on how you were introduced to sailing. Did you start as a child or did you pursue sailing later in life? Possibly point me in the right direction for good information on sailing for beginners? would love to hear what you all have to say, thanks for any replies.

Very Respectfully,
LifeVest
LifeVest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 07:28   #2

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'
Re: New Sailor

Welcome aboard! I always loved the water but rarely ever had a chance to be on it. A friend taught me on a sunfish when I was in college, then I rented Hobies at the beach whenever I could (an hour or so a year, maybe). Not having any friends who sailed, I ended up just buying a boat so I could go sailing. If you want to do something, you've got to make it happen! Hope you enjoy the forum, and hope it helps you find your way to get sailing and cruising.
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 09:58   #3

Boat: Club Sailor; various

Hi and welcome. I started sailing recently myself. My suggestion would be to find a sailing school close to you and take their ASA 101 Basic Keel Boat course and go from there. If you can join a club with Daysails and other events that's a good way to experience sailing on different boats at a reasonable price.
OldFrog75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2013, 10:04   #4

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Welcome to CF lifevest!

Look on craigslist and but a small sailboat (sunfish, laser, etc) and go for it. If you really feel the need, take a few lessons, but GO...GO...GO

If you like sailing, sell the sunfish (I still have mine and now it is 30+ years old), and buy something bigger to meet your needs.

If you are pennyless, join a yachtclub and sail on other peoples boats. You'll have almost as much fun a much less the cost.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote