Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 13:31   #1

Boat: The one in my dreams is all I have for now.
New Sailor, New Boat ?

Greetings, I am a new sailor looking to get his first boat. As a full time grad student I am limited on funds but have that pesky sailing bug and can't wait to get out sailing. I am in the process of looking for a boat for simple coastal cruising and possible trips from Miami to the Keys once adequate at handling the boat. I am just looking for something in the $3-$5k range up to 30' but something with a cabin so staying on board is an option on short trips. I have found some but they are always in disrepair and again; short cash for repairs. I am looking for any good websites/publications (aside from boattrader.com) that I may find something worth buying. I found an '88 McGregor 26' for $3k but have been quickly warned away so I am heading that advice. I know most say wait to buy a boat but continuing the search can't hurt if I come across that great deal. Cheers.
Old 05-10-2011, 13:41   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: New sailor, new boat?

if you seek a decent boat and kali is good for ye, pm me.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 13:54   #3

Boat: International Folkboat
Folkboat (IF Boat) should fit the bill.
Not sure if you'll find one in that price range though.
freddy8064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 14:10   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

I subscribe to Steinbeck's opinion, written in The Log from the Sea of Cortez, that, "Bad boats are built, surely, but not many of them."

That said, I think that the MacGregor 26 (note the correct spelling, since you're in grad school) is one of the worst production boats ever built in fiberglass. Not only does the boat sail poorly, but it is dependent upon its water ballast system to prevent capsize. This makes it too easy to make a fatal mistake.

I sailed throughout grad school even though I couldn't afford a boat back then. Take your meager funds, join a yacht club at a student or corinthian rate, and crew for other people through the racing program. I found that people were eager to add grad students to their crews, especially grad students fit enough to grind a winch.
Old 05-10-2011, 14:25   #5

Boat: The one in my dreams is all I have for now.

Zeehag, PM sent
Freddy8064 I will look into those, thanks .

Bash, I have been getting similar responses on the MacGregor (think I got it right that time) and have read that the ballast is an issue with them. I posted this elsewhere in the forums and got a few post rather quickly warning me off so I am heeding that advice and moving on. Have actually found little good said about them. I am always looking for a boat just in case I find that great deal; but I always look for opinions on those more experienced than I first and for this reason.

I had planned on visiting the marinas looking to crew so to gain more experience. Hopefully they have such programs as yours had so to make that easier. I have a post up offering my crew services on here as well and more than capable of turning a wrench so hopefully I will find someone.

Cheers guys, thanks.