Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2024, 14:43   #1

Boat: Prout Quasar 50
New shift cable not working (in Mag bay Mexico)

Hi All,
I'm at an anchorage in Mexico and could use a bit of help.
I am having a problem with my shift cable, I have just replaced it because the old one snapped but its not working and i can't shift out of neutral

The old shift cable snapped on the cockpit control side and was bent at the treads on the transmission side. This happed when a thick wire cable got wrapped on the drive line. It most likely pulled on the shift cable and caused the damage mentioned above.

I replaced the cable and ran it to the same way it was before, but i can't get the transmission to shift. If I disconnect the transmission side of the cable I can use my hand to shift into forward neutral and reverse by pushing on the transmission shift linkage. If the cable is only hooked up to the cockpit control it will move into any position with very little force so I know the new cable has not been run wrong or pinched, and when I do this I can see the cable moving on the transmission side.

When everything is hooked up it just won't budge out of neutral, the only way it will shift is if I help it a bit with my hand on the transmission side (buy lightly pushing on the shift arm) otherwise it just will not move.

I have never changed one of these out before is there anything that I'm missing? could the cause be not having the line adjusted properly I'm not sure how far the nuts on the end were spun down so there is a chance the cable might be 1/2" to 1" to long. Can this cause it to just not shift? I would think that would make it only shift into one position and not the other (like shift into forward and not reverse) . I would not think it would make it not shift into either.

Yanmar 4JHE with KBW-20 transmission

Any help is greatly apricated :-)
Old 24-01-2024, 14:54   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: New shift cable not working (in Mag bay Mexico)

Double check the routing. Most new control cables shouldn't require lubrication, but maybe yours does, so lubricating it would be a choice also.

The force of shifting the transmission can have the effect of multiplying the friction in the cable by many times, so cables that are bad or badly routed may appear to work while disconnected from the transmission.
Old 24-01-2024, 16:26   #3

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

If the cable isn’t anchored by a clamp close to the transmission, the whole thing will move but the inner cable won’t have the force necessary to move the shift linkage. There must be a clamp somewhere between the shift handle and transmission.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 16:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
If the cable isn’t anchored by a clamp close to the transmission, the whole thing will move but the inner cable won’t have the force necessary to move the shift linkage. There must be a clamp somewhere between the shift handle and transmission.
It is clamped at both ends, i think it might be that my cable is to long and it doesn't work well with the extra rolled up. i unrolled it and it was much easier to move. Not sure ill be able to make this cable work if it can't have 1 loop in it :-(
Old 24-01-2024, 16:40   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Double check the routing. Most new control cables shouldn't require lubrication, but maybe yours does, so lubricating it would be a choice also.

The force of shifting the transmission can have the effect of multiplying the friction in the cable by many times, so cables that are bad or badly routed may appear to work while disconnected from the transmission.
I think you are right, i removed the cable and its easy to move if its in a strait line. I hooked it up just running across the floor with as few bends as possible and it would let me shift into forward but then not back into neutral. So we are getting somewhere.

Now its maybe the case that i don't have the ends spun on enough and its causing my problem because its a bit to long?
Old 24-01-2024, 17:01   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post
It is clamped at both ends, i think it might be that my cable is to long and it doesn't work well with the extra rolled up. i unrolled it and it was much easier to move. Not sure ill be able to make this cable work if it can't have 1 loop in it :-(
Loops move.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 17:53   #7

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran

There is a reason the types of cable you are working with comes in many, many different lengths….usually every 12” for up to a certain length…

Too short or long, by even a small amount, could force the cable into an unnatural curve…..causing binding…..

Is the new cable exactly the same length (1” inch shorter?????) than the old one? Is it routed through the boat exactly the same?
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 23:59   #8

This past Summer I had an issue with my transmission shifter cable. Called my diesel mechanic buddy. The issue was resolvd but I will be switching from dual controls at the pedestal to a single lever at the side. One of the cautions my buddy told me is to avoid excessive looping and to keep the cable as short and its run as straight as possible. He said looping was a short cut by lazy or frugal installers (too cheap to stock length appropriate variety of cables) and eventually wears out the set up prematurely.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2024, 07:57   #9

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprops View Post

Yeah you have to use the correct length or it won't work.
Old 25-01-2024, 08:17   #10

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

As Madprops said, your cable has to be connected at a point on the engine. You said it is connected at the shifter and engine/throttle. You need 1 more connection, a cable clamp, connected to the engine just before the final straight line run to the throttle lever. So, 3 connections total. On my yanmars, the cable clamp is on the opposite end of the engine from the throttle.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, work