Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2024, 12:12   #16

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30
Re: Newcomer question - how to begin?

I learned in a 17 foot Grumman canoe. Toes on one gunnel hamstrings on the other and my body outboard most of the time, hanging on with the mainsheet. Most of the time the rudder was out of the water when heeled, as well as one lee board. But fun and you learn to pay attention to everything, and react fast. Then on to a Hobie Cat mostly sailed on one hull.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 12:43   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrazil View Post
You didn’t however say your wife was involved in any of these undertakings. Therein lies the problem. She needs to be as invested as you. It’s easy to buy and sell two tennis raquets. Not so, with a catamaran.
Yes, that is important. I missed the bit where you said "...I want to build up my sailing resume...". We did everything as a couple.

Plus, when chartering they often want to know that you have a second experienced person on board.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 13:11   #18

Boat: Oyster 435

From my perspective you need to learn 3 things.

1 - Learn how to sail. You are getting a good start, I’d suggest signing on to crew on a racing boat. You will learn a great deal on how to drive a boat through water.

2 - Learn ow to cruise. Anchoring, Navigation, Crusing Etiquette, Country entry/exit, Provisioning, Maintenance. Whatever, there is a lot.

3 - Learn what insurance providers look for when insuring cruising boats. I asked my insurer if it would benifit for me to get a 100 ton USCG license. They said, from an insurance point ot view it wouldn’t, and didn't seemt overly impressed with sailing certificates (although I never took an ASA course others have more experience if these help). They were impressed that my wife and I had a logical progression of experience. Raced boats, delivered race boats, purchased a small boat, sailed around, didn’t get in trouble. Purchased a larger boat, same deal. Also keep your driving record clean. A DUI will probably impact you, negatively.

When in doubt, call a offshore insurance agent. Explain your plan and ask them what they want to see. I think you will be surprised.
Tsuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 13:32   #19

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Lots of good advice above.

I suspect the members have gotten into sailing a number of ways. Some grew up with it, like me, some came to it later in life and in different ways (friends' boats, sailing clubs, yacht clubs, just upped and bought a boat).

I had a bit of an advantage for where I sailed as a boy had very shallow waters (the back bays of Southern New Jersey) thus, few keel boats. I had to refine my sail trim and reefing skills or get quite wet and/or some loose teeth.

I guess it may not matter how you get into sailing, as long as you and the Admiral continue to like or even love it as you get experience and, of course, are not confronted with untreatable mal de mer.

Enjoy the journey. I simply can't imagine what my life would have been like without sailing and living aboard for the summer.
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 14:21   #20

I think a lot depends on the time you have. After a while we started to think things were moving too slowly.

Also, it became noticeable that when we were on club boats the division of tasks and opportunities wasn't the way we wanted it. My wife would often get passed over.

In the end we wanted to compress more into less time, and make sure my wife could get the experiences she wanted.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 14:45   #21

Boat: Bristol 27

You'd be surprised how easy it is if you really want to learn.

I traded a deer rifle for an old dinghy sailor in 1982 and learned that way.

Later bought a Hobie 16 for $1700 and raced it which is when I really started learning to sail the right way.

Photos are of my 2nd Hobie 16 that my 15 year old son and friend are about to sail the 10 miles across Pensacola Bay to Pensacola Beach on, and my 4th Beach Cat that I raced.

Also one of my son at age 15 in 1997 with long hair and baggy pants sitting on the boat trailer waiting for the racing to start. This was a Hobie 16 Regatta on Sardis Lake Mississippi.

My son was my crew starting at age 10 when racing and learn sailing just observing while racing

That last beach cat was $10,000 new and had a spinnaker.

I did have 8 years on boats though before I started learning to sail. Bought my first fishing boat at age 16.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i17r.1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	195.2 KB
ID:	288520   Click image for larger version

Name:	H16.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	288521  

Name:	N17.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	288522   Click image for larger version

Name:	N-17.1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	288523  

Name:	Martin Sardis Lake 1997.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	288524  
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 21:00   #22

Re: Newcomer question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
My continual advice is to purchase a small, older cruising sailboat (around 30 feet) and start learning the ropes. A couple of years of that will teach 500% more than any courses you can take. A huge part of successful cruising is learning how to repair and manage a sailboat, and there aren't courses that cover that stuff. Plus, learning on your own boat will teach you what it is really like out there and whether or not the lifestyle is for you--it isn't for everyone!

I agree with this advice... It is what I did about 35 years ago. I was 40 then and had no sailing experience or knowledge. I bought a 30 foot sloop and left Seattle full of ignorance and cheer.

Learned a bit cruising Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, and Georgia Strait a few summers. Never considered myself a sailor [what's that (traveler) for?] . But I got by and learned something about anchoring.

Now I'm 75 and thought my sailing days were over. No longer willing to haul in 80 lbs of ground tackle by muscle power, I'm wondering if I can still single hand a 40' boat. Thinking of the Sea of Cortez, living on the hook.
Danmarkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 03:40   #23

Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies! One thing that kept coming up is the question as to whether or not my wife was onboard (yes pun fully intended ). She is very excited for the live aboard life and the traveling; however, not as interested in the actual process of learning to sail. The best analogy I can think of is if we were living full time in an RV and she loved it, but she would prefer I do most of the driving.
BrianSage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 04:48   #24

Maybe a sailing club with a kocal fleet you can rent at affordable costs? I can't think of one in Tampa/St Pete area (several boat clubs but not with sailboats), but might be one on the other coast. Great way to get experience, learn a lot, and meet people. When the dust settles, a very affordable alternative to owning a boat.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 05:01   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSage View Post
Thank you to everyone for the helpful replies! One thing that kept coming up is the question as to whether or not my wife was onboard (yes pun fully intended ). She is very excited for the live aboard life and the traveling; however, not as interested in the actual process of learning to sail. The best analogy I can think of is if we were living full time in an RV and she loved it, but she would prefer I do most of the driving.
Well, don't fall overboard because she would have to take the helm, turn the boat around, and go back to pick you up which can be harder than it sounds.

You'd be like a single hander except you'd still have crew (your wife) to stand watches which is good!
Old 07-04-2024, 05:23   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianSage View Post
Sounds similar to my wife. For us, a lot depends on definition of "cruising." We are slowly relocating our 36 foot trawler from California to Florida. She was really scared about overnight passages so we've taken extra pains to avoid them. In 2400 nms, we've done a few and while she prefers to avoid, she's okay with them. The side benefit of avoiding multi-day runs is our cruise has ended up looking more like a series of day trips with liberal inland excursions.

In short, I think cruising is a continuum between love of sailing and love of travel. In the early phases, folks get really hung up on the boat. To us (and the majority of folks we've met along the way), the boat is a magic carpet - a means to travel. Some can afford nice boats, some can't. But the love of travel seems to be a dominant undertone to the folks we've met - power or sail.

I bought my 1970 Willard 36 over 25 years ago so I'm clearly nuts about the boat. But if the trip were about the boat, I'd be alone. I'm also very cautious about weather - PredictWind subscription has been a nice thing compared to my old delivery days with WxFax.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 06:50   #27

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuru View Post
From my perspective you need to learn 3 things.

1 - Learn how to sail. You are getting a good start, I’d suggest signing on to crew on a racing boat. You will learn a great deal on how to drive a boat through water.

2 - Learn ow to cruise. Anchoring, Navigation, Crusing Etiquette, Country entry/exit, Provisioning, Maintenance. Whatever, there is a lot.

3 - Learn what insurance providers look for when insuring cruising boats. I asked my insurer if it would benifit for me to get a 100 ton USCG license. They said, from an insurance point ot view it wouldn’t, and didn't seemt overly impressed with sailing certificates (although I never took an ASA course others have more experience if these help). They were impressed that my wife and I had a logical progression of experience. Raced boats, delivered race boats, purchased a small boat, sailed around, didn’t get in trouble. Purchased a larger boat, same deal. Also keep your driving record clean. A DUI will probably impact you, negatively.

When in doubt, call a offshore insurance agent. Explain your plan and ask them what they want to see. I think you will be surprised.
Pretty much what is said above.. You don't need your own boat to get experience. What's more important do different kind of sailing and boating in general. Even river rafting with canoes, how to stear your future big vessel in tidal streams. You get acquintances in boating, go and help them sometimes with maintenance and other stuff when you can spare the time. Learn to be self sufficient on all aspects possible. Crew also some longer passages..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 07:33   #28

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I like mvweebles' point about weather. It takes a bit more than just listening on the radio. For example, being aware how strong local currents can oppose strong breezes to yield steep, uncomfortable sees is a useful skill, as is being aware of local conditions that can lead to bad squalls (think the Chesapeake in August).

Also, being very calm in the face of bad weather can reassure your crew. A good thing.

Cheers
jen1722terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2024, 07:46   #29

Sometimes it's hard to predict a squall on the Chesapeake Bay or anywhere else.

There are many days during the early Spring and Summer that have perfect conditions for a squall to pop up.

This one came up in about 30-45 minutes. It was 6-7 years ago now. Lots of lightning.

It had been a beautiful day, then suddenly you see it coming. The dark clouds cover the Sun, and there is a drastic change from a bright beautiful day to a dark day with winds suddenly increasing.

Luckily on this day I had anchored early with my trusty but old and worn 20 lb. CQR. I was in shallow water maybe 6'-8' with lots of scope out.

Also it was nice that the winds were not blowing me toward the beach in case I did drag. I had 25-30 miles of Bay behind me.

Old 12-04-2024, 02:38   #30

Boat: Island Packet 29

15 years is a long time. Lots will change. If youre actually interested, skip the dinghy stuff and go take some ASA courses. That will allow you to do some local day charters. I have bad news for the wife. Shes going to have to help. A boat is not an RV. She cant just ride along. Day charters, yes just she can just ride along. Actual cruising? No. Bad weather, mechanical issues, watch schedules, etc. Shes going to learn as much as you. If shes aint down for it, then its over already.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newcomer