Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2023, 07:42   #1

Newfoundland to the Chesapeake - thoughts?

Contemplating bringing a 35' Island Packet from Newfoundland to the Chesapeake this summer, and wanted to tap the accumulated wisdom of the forum, and especially those who may have done this voyage, for ideas, tips, and favorite stops along the way.
Thanks,
Jack
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 13:56   #2

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,
Re: Newfoundland to the Chesapeake - thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnjack.morton View Post
Contemplating bringing a 35' Island Packet from Newfoundland to the Chesapeake this summer, and wanted to tap the accumulated wisdom of the forum, and especially those who may have done this voyage, for ideas, tips, and favorite stops along the way.
Thanks,
Jack
==============================

what will be your departure point?
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 14:10   #3

If you’re not weatherly leave early in the morning and motor sail to the next harbor or plan on a dead beat into 15~20 SW breeze. Or leave on the back of a low but be warned some lows rolling through can be sporty.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 15:07   #4

Boat is currently in Lewisporte. Thinking of moving there to St. John, and taking offshore departure from there. OR
Would also consider port to port along Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Are harbors with fuel & provisioning fairly frequent along those shores?
Jack
Old 21-04-2023, 15:11   #5

Boat is currently in Lewisporte - was thinking of going there to St. John, and taking offshore departure from there. OR
Would consider harbor to harbor along coasts of Newfoundland and Nova Scotia. Are harbors with fuel & provisioning fairly frequent along those coasts?
Jack
Old 21-04-2023, 15:21   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Done it twice.

I can provide more detail but basically it is a loooong slog to windward, if there is wind.

I too have a Boat in Lewisporte, Chouette, a 33' steel cutter.

Will be back up in a couple of months.

Feel free to ask more specific questions.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 18:38   #7

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

I've sailed back to the Chesapeake from Cape Breton Island once, from New Brunswick once, and from Nova Scotia many times. Going out to Canada I'm often offshore, coming back I'm always coastal. As others have said, during the summer you're fighting the SW winds, in the fall I've managed to ride some favorable systems for up to three days at a go.
There are lots of places to stop for the night and enough places for fuel no more than one, or at most two long days run. Though again, I can't speak for anything north of Cape Breton Island. Some of the fuel stops cater more to the commercial fishing fleet so you might have to time it right.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 19:33   #8

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

We live on the Chesapeake. We did the South shore of Newfoundland all the way to the French islands in 22, and the east coast of the United States all the way to St John New Brunswick in 21. The admiral kept an incredibly useful blog at circe.travelmap.net that reads like a cruising guide. Check it out. Make sure to look at both years.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2023, 19:45   #9

Boat: Tanzer 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingharry View Post
We live on the Chesapeake. We did the South shore of Newfoundland all the way to the French islands in 22, and the east coast of the United States all the way to St John New Brunswick in 21. The admiral kept an incredibly useful blog at circe.travelmap.net that reads like a cruising guide. Check it out. Make sure to look at both years.
Very impressive blog! It does read like a cruising guide.
idclic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2023, 12:37   #10

Many thanks to all who have responded. I, too, found the Circe.travelmap.net very illuminating, as well as useful advice from several others. If this trip comes to pass, I will certainly be in touch with several of you again. Any of you just grit your teeth and do it offshore St. John to Halifax region, then on to Cape Cod? How long did it take?
In the meantime, any preferences for the Cruising Guides to Newfoundland, Nova scotia, and the east coast from Maine to the Chesapeake? CCA - or others?
Thanks,
Jack
Old 22-04-2023, 13:15   #11

Boat: Rafiki 37

I don’t have any experience on the journey, but I wanted to say, I know a little about the boat. We were dock-mates last season. She’s a fine IP, owned by a very diligent owner. Sorry to hear Brigand is leaving Lewisporte, but I’m sure you’ll love her.
Old 23-04-2023, 06:54   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Down East Circle Route by Cherrly Barr.
AquqMaps for iPad and get the Active Captain subscription.
Old 23-04-2023, 06:58   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In rough detail St Johns St Pierre - just hecause
SP to Grand Banks to check back in OR direct to Halifax, but then yiu miss the South coast, a true pity.

I checked in at PAB once but caught holy hell. They wanted me to sail to Corner Brook!

It all cone to how much time and fuel you have. The is sooo much to see on the upper end of this route.

Then I transit Shelbourne to Marblehead but others go all the way to RI.
Old 23-04-2023, 17:53   #14

Thank you, hpeer, for yet more good advice. I met Cheryl Barr, after having had the pleasure of sailing with her dad briefly in Cuba. I expect her book is well thought through.
Old 05-05-2023, 08:17   #15

We have sailed numerous times from Cape Breton south to the coast of Maine, and a single time from Newfoundland south to the Maine coast. As others have noted, summer conditions usually present a daily SW wind, which often creates an unpleasant slog by early to mid-afternoon. We have been able to avoid most of the short steep afternoon seas by departing early each morning and taking long tacks to gain as much progress to the south as possible until the afternoon seas send us to the closest anchorage.

Since we hardly ever motorsail, and avoid motoring in general, we don't concern ourselves much with availability of diesel fuel. Fuel is easily available at St. Peters and Shelburne if needed, and probably less easily available at some other harbors along the NS coast.

If you plan on going offshore once you clear the Nova Scotia coast, you will be able to time the passage to avoid strong adverse currents. If you are going to cruise down the coast of Maine, the passage around Cape Sable and past the currents on a single change of tide will often necessitate a good deal of motoring, to avoid being forced well north or south of the intended course while waiting for the current to diminish.
limte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
newfoundland