Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2018, 08:58   #1

Boat: AMERICAN 2+2 MINI-TON 16 FT
Next learning step?

Thanks to all for help with line issue - purchased Sta-set and that solved my problems. Need suggestions for next steps in the learning process.

Have been out about 6 times now in small .25 square mile lake. I have selected days with usually out in 9 knot winds. I normally traverse back and forth across the lake on a beam reach - turning into the wind. Sometimes if I don't turn and coordinate things quickly the boat stalls and I retry when I build up some speed. I have this under control with no drama.

Last week a large storm moved to the east of the lake (visible to me but I was not in the storm - wind stayed constant and mild) during the above sailing. But as the storm passed, the wind picked up and started shifting and went to 15 knots at times.

The boat quickly went from no drama to quick acceleration, heeling and a scary feeling. Wondering if this is just due to my usual no-drama sailing and I should embrace this sailing. Not looking for too much excitement and definitely don't want to capsize. Any suggestions?
jimTheSailorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 12:09   #2

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F
Re: Next learning step?

Hi Jim..
I'm a little more experienced than you, but still, what I consider a beginner. I've been sailing 4 years, and have a few certifications, I've raced and solo'd. But, there are a ton of people here that may correct me, or give you better info.

I've also had situations when the wind picked up substantially. The reason you heeled more than you were comfortable with was due to having too much sail out.. or, your sail was overpowered. Solution? reduce your sail. So, if you have enough advanced notice. (i.e. you see the storm in a distance, and it's moving toward you, but not fast).. you can furl your jib... reef the main, or drop your sails all together.

If it all happens so fast that you can't act in advance there are a couple of things you can do...

1. turn your bow into the wind, essentially putting your boat in irons... (if you are close hauled, or on a close reach)
2. or, you can release the mainsheet. that will cause the mainsail to point luff to the wind, and essentially put itself in irons.. just not the whole boat. (I hope I explained that).. it will also ease the heeling.
3. if it looks like it is more than just a quick gust, and the storm will be there for a while... you can try to "heave to"... basically boom is sheeted out to leeward, and you back wind the jib (that means your windward jib sheet is still trimmed tight, but the jib sheet is filled to the other side of the boat... ) turn the helm towards Leeward. (I think I got all my directions right. Best thing to do is google that... )
4. we have also, at times, turned on the motor... and then carefully dropped the sails...

practice these techniques on a good day..
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning