Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2022, 06:55   #76

Boat: Hunter 38
Re: Next step?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
Basic skill set only.
Servicing and maintenance I'll be pretty well right with as well as small mechanical jobs. Electrical: I'm not scared of but do have trouble with more complicated stuff. Plumbing i should be fine with. I have no idea about rope work. I bodgie pretty good but i'm not technology savvy.
Basic rope work is easy, buy some fids, some whipping twine, a sail repair kit with a palm, and watch some youtube.

There are weekend classes on marine diesel (I haven't done one personally but I've built several auto/aircraft engines and the skills transfer).
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 03:34   #77

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
For sure but it wont get used nearly as much as one that's better suited to my needs. Im happy to be on others boats leaning whilst I save and then buy what will suit us. I look at boats daily and there has been some very interesting and reasonably priced boats that have come up locally even with the crazy market.
I would definitely agree with buying a boat now, but I would make it a 27-30 footer. My personal favorite is a Catalina 27. A great bargain and easy to re-sale.

A boat in this size range has enough room to enjoy being on the water. You can walk below and stand up. If you get a model with a diesel you can start learning about engine maintenance first hand. All the normal boat systems are there.

Most of all you can start doing all the things that sailors do when they are cruising. Docking, anchoring, cooking, sleeping, eating. Cleaning, fixing, maintaining. Getting scared a couple of times, and falling in love with other times. In a couple of years you have a much - MUCH - better idea of things you like and don't like. You're a seasoned sailor !

If it wouldn't bust the budget plans, I'd say it's the best way to go.

Old 06-01-2022, 15:47   #78

Boat: Outremer 55L

I don’t think a starter boat is necessary as you can learn about boat systems on your planned ‘forever’ boat just as easily as on a starter boat. So why bother with a boat that doesn’t really suit the longer term plan?

Other than Lasers and Hobie 16s I have never owned a ‘real’ boat until my wife and I bought our present cat. I have sailed on other peoples’ boats almost all of my life, primarily racing, and that taught me about sailing and seamanship (but not much about systems and maintenance). My wife had owned a 10m power launch with a previous husband but other than on my Hobie 16 had not sailed much.

Our cat has a lot of systems and is relatively complex. Owning a boat forces you to either pay others to fix stuff or learn to do it yourself. That’s a continuum, not an either/or.

Other than racing, sailing on other peoples’ boats is generally limited. If that is the case and no options for club or shared ownership exist then a starter boat can make sense if circumstances don’t allow for the forever boat now.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 23:40   #79

Boat: Other peoples

Out on a different boat this afternoon.

Thats me on the cabin roof in the denim shorts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Me on Andrews boat.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	251301  
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2022, 08:27   #80

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Out on a different boat this afternoon.

Thats me on the cabin roof in the denim shorts.
Lukin' good, Lucky!

Sleek ride
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 01:47   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Lukin' good, Lucky!

Sleek ride
It was Champagne sailing. No race just a sail and we got a cracker day and had a good laugh and yarn.

Learning a little every time i go out.

Surprised about the sea sick stories that most have. Sea sickness is a normal thing on a boat, its talked about and stories shared but its never done in a hateful manner.

I am disgusted about how much some sailors litter.

Sailing is fun. Glad i persevered. Should of done it decades ago.
Old 16-01-2022, 02:08   #82

Quote:
For sure but it wont get used nearly as much as one that's better suited to my needs. Im happy to be on others boats leaning whilst I save and then buy what will suit us. I look at boats daily and there has been some very interesting and reasonably priced boats that have come up locally even with the crazy market.

I'd get a 25 or 27 foot boat. Significantly cheaper than a bigger boat, easy to single hand, big enough to take friends on. Bigger boats are more complex and cost more than you think in terms of carrying costs and maintenance.

You can always swing for the fences later, if you love it.

The other option, of course, is a friend with a boat. But that generally limits when you can go out, and is a different experience.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 06:46   #83

Lots of great advice in this thread. I appreciate it as I'm 67 and have enrolled in my first sailing school for May (Midwest winter prevents anything earlier). Doing all the reading and online video watching I can to prepare for the initial learning phase.
Good luck with your plans, LL1.

Dave
David993s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 12:45   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by David993s View Post
Lots of great advice in this thread. I appreciate it as I'm 67 and have enrolled in my first sailing school for May (Midwest winter prevents anything earlier). Doing all the reading and online video watching I can to prepare for the initial learning phase.
Good luck with your plans, LL1.

Dave
Thank you Dave. Good luck in your journey. You will have a ball!
Old 14-03-2022, 00:17   #85

Just thought id share the ripped Jib around Tasman island pic i just got sent.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ripped jib pro.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	254359  
Old 14-03-2022, 01:38   #86

Bit better shot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tasman island pro pic Scenic.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	254360  
Old 14-03-2022, 23:47   #87

Hi Lucky Luke , good luck with your plans.

As some have said, the sailing is really the easy part. When you are not racing, you can sail conservatively, thus reducing those adventures where things get broken & people hurt.

I established as manager, & ran for a couple of years a bear boat chatter operation in the Whitsundays. We had charterers from a Melbourne yacht club commodore to some with only a tinny on the harbor experience. The Whitsundays can be tricky at spring tides, with a bit of wind blowing, but in a couple of hundred charters we only had one get into trouble, & he was one of the most experienced, but overconfident. It is not rocket science.

Personally as an ex navy fly boy, I had the experience of ships, navigation & aerodynamics, but actually learnt to sail with a how to book in one hand & the tiller in the other. It is not that hard. Of course I had the advantage of Sydney Harbor, Broken Bay, & nice short off shore passages to cut my teeth on, not straight into Bass Straight. After 7 Hobarts, shipping as navigator, I only have 2 memories of "nice" sails across the place.

Once you can handle your own boat there you'll be set for most locations you'll find anywhere.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2022, 01:57   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbeen View Post
Hi Lucky Luke , good luck with your plans.

As some have said, the sailing is really the easy part. When you are not racing, you can sail conservatively, thus reducing those adventures where things get broken & people hurt.

I established as manager, & ran for a couple of years a bear boat chatter operation in the Whitsundays. We had charterers from a Melbourne yacht club commodore to some with only a tinny on the harbor experience. The Whitsundays can be tricky at spring tides, with a bit of wind blowing, but in a couple of hundred charters we only had one get into trouble, & he was one of the most experienced, but overconfident. It is not rocket science.

Personally as an ex navy fly boy, I had the experience of ships, navigation & aerodynamics, but actually learnt to sail with a how to book in one hand & the tiller in the other. It is not that hard. Of course I had the advantage of Sydney Harbor, Broken Bay, & nice short off shore passages to cut my teeth on, not straight into Bass Straight. After 7 Hobarts, shipping as navigator, I only have 2 memories of "nice" sails across the place.

Once you can handle your own boat there you'll be set for most locations you'll find anywhere.
Thank you for your words.

I'm treating it like a 4 year apprenticeship and using other peoples boats as much as i can. It's amazing how much help and supportive sailors are.

I'm not sure if i've mentioned this before so forgive me if i have. Me and an old guy who hadn't sailed in many years have commandeered a little 24ft that another guy owns and its just sat for years. He is happy its getting used, esp for training and pays all the bills.
I also said yes to a tentative plan for the Melb to Devonport race in November. The 50th year of the Melb to Hobart via the West coast looks interesting. Not sure id want to do a Syd to Hobart, you sailors are a breed apart.

Fair winds and cheers.
Old 18-04-2022, 02:48   #89

I've been hanging around the hard area when i can. Helping people bring their boats up and down when i can. Helping out and just being there.

I want and need to do the SSSC but to do it is a pain and ends up being expensive. I can do it in Hobart. Perfect take the missus and go down for a few days, do the course and she can go shopping. Perfect weekend away. But nope Its three four hr days spread over a week. Its 4 hrs drive away so going back and forth adds up. Might have to look at flying to melb to do it.

Still haven't got my VHF licence.

This is the Pink boat that we will be competing in in the winter series which starts soon.

Name:	20220206_133525.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	430.4 KB
ID:	256154
Old 25-09-2022, 00:44   #90

Just completed my SSSC What an eye opener!

And still sailing most weekends.

Looks like the Melbourne to Devonport (Rudder cup) may be off the cards. The Farr 40 doesn't look like it will be up to scratch in time.

Just thought id update my journey in the hopes it may inspire others.