Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2024, 15:00   #226

Re: Nicholson 38 sunk on Baja Ha-Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyKlop View Post
Just to quibble a detail...

According to Ray, the problem was the autopilot - that it made an uncommanded turn to port that put them on the rock.

I am not defending his decisions, and I very very definitely question some of them, but I wanted to make sure that the synopsis was corrected.
That was one of his many excuses. From his original Facebook explanation, he said his biggest mistake was leaving San Diego for a variety of reasons including his PC based chartplotter software was acting up (he said he had a trouble ticket open with Rose point, publisher of Coastal Explorer).

According the track line shown, he made a deliberate decision long before the wreck to follow the 10-meter line. To my eyes, the excuses he cites are even more reason to NOT head towards the rocks and instead go into the middle of a very large bay.

No matter how you cut it, he didn't make a mistake nor was it bad luck. He exercised incredibly poor judgement. None of the issues he cites would have resulted in a lost boat has he not chosen a 10-meter line along a rocky coast well-known for detached rock outcroppings. It was a quiet night with a near full moon (I was in the anchorage). He cut the corner to save 20 minutes.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2024, 15:14   #227

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyKlop View Post
Just to quibble a detail...

According to Ray, the problem was the autopilot - that it made an uncommanded turn to port that put them on the rock.

I am not defending his decisions, and I very very definitely question some of them, but I wanted to make sure that the synopsis was corrected.
And there was no evidence that the autopilot was in control when Ray was at the helm when he ran her aground and sank her.

-Sven
Old 08-03-2024, 15:46   #228

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
How many of you were here when RebelHeart went through the gauntlet of being pilloried by the entire internet?

Eric Kaufman and Ray McCormack both projected an extremely public hubris; made multiple, serious errors in judgment; disregarded advice; and sank boats.

Having been in contact privately with eyewitnesses to Rebel Heart's preparation for the voyage, I believe that the criticism was largely fair and on point.
Old 08-03-2024, 15:51   #229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Eric Kaufman and Ray McCormack both projected an extremely public hubris; made multiple, serious errors in judgment; disregarded advice; and sank boats.

Having been in contact privately with eyewitnesses to Rebel Heart's preparation for the voyage, I believe that the criticism was largely fair and on point.
I could not disagree more. Having watched the preparation of Rebel Heart in person for months I saw nothing that I would fault.

Ray, that's a completely different story, but at least he offered to help sink the replacement for Boatbumgal, named "At Last" when he found out about her (no, I am not kidding !).

-Sven
Old 08-03-2024, 17:19   #230

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I could not disagree more. Having watched the preparation of Rebel Heart in person for months I saw nothing that I would fault.
Then why did h e have such awful deck leaks, ones that killed his electronics? Keeping the water on the outside is an important part of vessel preparation.

Jim
Old 08-03-2024, 17:21   #231

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Then why did h e have such awful deck leaks, ones that killed his electronics? Keeping the water on the outside is an important part of vessel preparation.

Jim
The chainplate had hidden corrosion/rot and tore out IIRC.

-Sven
Old 08-03-2024, 18:39   #232

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If you're interested, the criticisms relative to the deck leak on Kaufman's boat are in the CF archives.

I found one link by searching on <Loss of Rebel Heart>: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-178713-2.html

fwiw, as I remember it, there was a poorly done deck repair, no chainplate coming out, but the boat was working and letting water in that interfered with their radio communications. With the children having health problems, the situation became untenable. The thread above was dealing with the scuttling issue only, did not get into the deck repair. At the time, we had an extremely capable shipwright in Washington state, <minaret> who explained in detail how it should have been done, and it was quite different from what Eric had done. AND it's quite possible Eric believed it was good to go. We don't know what we don't know, and few skippers actually solicit help from wiser ones.

Try the CF Custom Google Search, and try entering <Rebel Heart + minaret>. I sort of doubt the boat would have been capable of completing the leg to the Marquesas, even if they'd had good crew to help. A sad old story.

Ann
Old 08-03-2024, 18:46   #233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you're interested, the criticisms relative to the deck leak on Kaufman's boat are in the CF archives.

I found one link by searching on <Loss of Rebel Heart>: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...-178713-2.html

fwiw, as I remember it, there was a poorly done deck repair, no chainplate coming out, but the boat was working and letting water in that interfered with their radio communications. With the children having health problems, the situation became untenable. The thread above was dealing with the scuttling issue only, did not get into the deck repair. At the time, we had an extremely capable shipwright in Washington state, <minaret> who explained in detail how it should have been done, and it was quite different from what Eric had done. AND it's quite possible Eric believed it was good to go. We don't know what we don't know, and few skippers actually solicit help from wiser ones.

Try the CF Custom Google Search, and try entering <Rebel Heart + minaret>. I sort of doubt the boat would have been capable of completing the leg to the Marquesas, even if they'd had good crew to help. A sad old story.

Ann
You memory is partially correct. Lira had an unexplained fever. Cora was not sick.

Your estimate of Eric's capabilities is way off, but then you didn't/don't know him.

I'm not going to re-litigate the Monday morning quarterbacking.

No comparison whatsoever to Ray.

-Sven

-Sven
Old 13-03-2024, 09:45   #234
cruiser

Glad everyone was safe tbh
CruisePriest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja