Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2023, 20:32   #121
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Power, Sail, Multihull
Re: Nicholson 38 sunk on Baja Ha-Ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSlappy View Post
Hi everyone, I am late to this conversation but I do want to clear up a few things I have read.
Good to hear from you, thanks. Are you the same guy who wrote out a statement on SA regarding Ray's boat that hit the wing dam and lost its engine? Suffering about $180,000 in damage and forcing the owner's cancellation of his cruising plans.

If so, you wrote an excellent story about that delivery. I'm still shaking my head.
Amustad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 21:21   #122

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I cooked up a bowl of popcorn and read about half the Sailing Anarchy thread. There are about 3 or 4 posters who have dealt with Ray, and he is a true [redacted]. Cutting through a 0.1 mile wide passage to save a mile at Cape Flattery in 20 knots at sunset takes the cake. I am now not surprised that he lost a boat and heavily damaged another. I'm not sure of the details of his Motorboat to Hawaii caper, but it sounds like he was planning to take about half the fuel he needed.

The question remains, how do boaters protect themselves from the [redacted]?
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 21:27   #123

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

A better question is, how does he keep getting work? He must get some positive reviews from someone, somewhere, right?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 23:24   #124

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post

The question remains, how do boaters protect themselves from the [redacted]?
Googling the person you are about to hire and carefully looking through the results. That was my mistake. There was an SA thread on my thief. Went into details about him stealing from others in the past, being wanted/not being able to return to the Bahamas, etc. I didn’t see it until AFTER he stole my money. This thread and the SA thread should protect people from this guy IF they Google his name before hiring him for deliveries
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2023, 05:10   #125
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Moderator Note
Quote:
As you will have noticed we have a much more genteel approach on CF than on SA. Criticisms tend to be more muted and carefully couched. ..........
Unlike much other social media, CF is a moderated site. All members are expected to conform with the community rules - if you are unsure of them, please read them here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ork&page=rules

While this thread is a very worthwhile discussion about navigational issues, the sinking of a sailboat and a delivery skipper's competency, all posts must comply with the said rules. In particular -

Be Courteous! Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Excessive insults, profanity, anger, are not acceptable. Do not post libellous remarks.

We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness.

Given the importance of the thread topic to sailors present and future, the moderators have extended some leniency in the posting standard in this instance however some posts have had to be edited or deleted. Please understand we do not make the rules, we only are here to help you to follow them.

Put simply - That an individual deserves censure for some given act or omission is something you can and must determine for yourselves. That you conclude that someone, in this case Ray McCormack, has acted foolishly or negligently does not give you licence to speak derogatorily of him, although you are of course, permitted to point out politely and without being derogatory ad hominem that the act or omission in question was in you opinion, foolish.

The thread is now open again.

And a reminder - Cruisers Forum is not a public resource; it is privately owned and the owner requires members to abide by his rules and by the decisions of the moderators. If you post outside these guidelines your post may be edited or deleted - this does not violate your right to the public freedom of speech.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 07:22   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amustad View Post
Good to hear from you, thanks. Are you the same guy who wrote out a statement on SA regarding Ray's boat that hit the wing dam and lost its engine? Suffering about $180,000 in damage and forcing the owner's cancellation of his cruising plans.

If so, you wrote an excellent story about that delivery. I'm still shaking my head.
Yes, that is me. I try to warn folks about him when I get the chance. Most of the locals in his home town that sail or are in the boating business know him and his reputation but there is no way for most people to know better.
CapnSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 14:15   #127

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

You know, what might really be a help here is to hear from people who do honest deliveries, how about a checklist of what the owner of the boat should look for? how to filter out [redacted] from the good folks? What should an innocent skipper do?

Ann
Old 21-11-2023, 14:45   #128

Boat: Morgan 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
You know, what might really be a help here is to hear from people who do honest deliveries, how about a checklist of what the owner of the boat should look for? how to filter out [redacted] from the good folks? What should an innocent skipper do?

Ann
I'm not a delivery captain (yet), but I think the short list of what to ask for is an insurance certificate.
Old 21-11-2023, 14:59   #129

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
You know, what might really be a help here is to hear from people who do honest deliveries, how about a checklist of what the owner of the boat should look for? how to filter out [redacted] from the good folks? What should an innocent skipper do? Ann

And also it would be nice to get the other side of the story as well.
Anyone have PERSONAL experience with a delivery with Ray as the Captain that was a success story?
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 15:16   #130
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Nicholson 38 sunk on Baja Ha-Ha

Ships papers and minimum of Liability insurance are compulsory.. along with passports of all on board.
A Katadyn Survivor is also a good thing.
A decent mini multi toolkit and head torch plus a good knife.
25litre can of fuel, a 5metre length of fuel line hose and a bulb pump.

As for finding a decent skipper.. I only ever posted on here and got my clients from the membership.

How to wean the wheat from the chaff.???
If I recommend a skipper to someone coz I can't do it, I always ask the customer for feedback about the service given.
If negative once.. the skipper gets a second chance, but never a third.

If a deal for a skipper assist looks to good to be true, it probably is.
Delivery skippers don't work for fare and food alone.. at least this one don't.

I always figured if I sucked the CF'r customer would out me and work would dry up but.. I've had repeat custom so must be doing something right.
I also am pretty open and honest about my jobs.. hell for several years I used to post my SPOT here for folks to follow my progress.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 15:57   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
And also it would be nice to get the other side of the story as well.
Anyone have PERSONAL experience with a delivery with Ray as the Captain that was a success story?
If you look at his social media account, you will find some folks who have had successful deliveries from him. Most of the people you will find that really like him and defend his actions have not hired him as a captain. Personally, I only know the boat owners and industry professionals who have negative things to say about him. Even the owners who have had what some may call a successful delivery, don't always have pleasant things to say about him. You will often find comments such as, "the boat made it here in one piece, but I question his judgement" or "he got us here but he made some bad decisions"

I have not hired him personally, I just fix boats for a living and he makes me a LOT of money.
CapnSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2023, 16:08   #132

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Ships papers and minimum of Liability insurance are compulsory.. along with passports of all on board.
A Katadyn Survivor is also a good thing.
A decent mini multi toolkit and head torch plus a good knife.
25litre can of fuel, a 5metre length of fuel line hose and a bulb pump.

As for finding a decent skipper.. I only ever posted on here and got my clients from the membership.

How to wean the wheat from the chaff.???
If I recommend a skipper to someone coz I can't do it, I always ask the customer for feedback about the service given.
If negative once.. the skipper gets a second chance, but never a third.

If a deal for a skipper assist looks to good to be true, it probably is.
Delivery skippers don't work for fare and food alone.. at least this one don't.

I always figured if I sucked the CF'r customer would out me and work would dry up but.. I've had repeat custom so must be doing something right.
I also am pretty open and honest about my jobs.. hell for several years I used to post my SPOT here for folks to follow my progress.
I like the list, could really help someone. Glad to see the suggestions coming in from many.

Also liked, "insurance certificate".

Thanks, everybody, keep 'em coming.
Old 22-11-2023, 01:34   #133
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnSlappy View Post
If you look at his social media account, you will find some folks who have had successful deliveries from him.
Most of the people you will find that really like him and defend his actions have not hired him as a captain. Personally, I only know the boat owners and industry professionals who have negative things to say about him...
Even a stopped/broken clock is right, once or twice a day.*
Even someone/something unreliable, will sometimes still be right, even if, only by chance.

* It is interesting that this phrase is very old, and can be traced back to a British periodical called “The Spectator,” published by Richard Steel and Joseph Addison, where the phrase [discussing dress fashions] first appeared in 1711.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2016/09/02/stopped-clock/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 07:39   #134

Quote:

Ann

Ann, I would strongly suggest a pinned new thread on this topic.
Very important.
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2023, 07:42   #135

on the other forum a new account of another botched delivery, as well as firsthand account of day after accident and Mr. Ray McCormack's behaviour:

https://forums.sailinganarchy.com/th...9/post-8531343
h20man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baja