Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2018, 10:05   #76

Re: No survey needed?.... buy "as is where is"?

Geico marine insurance. Affiliated with towboatus. Just fill in info on geico boat insurance web site. Just did it 2 days ago. EASY, fast for jus liability & towing ins if you want it at big discount. (I don't work for them, just hope to help you)
johnserr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:03   #77

Boat: 1985 Catalina 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
It's all in the cost/benefit analysis :-) I start from the premise that no man should ever "invest" more in a boat than he can afford to walk away from with a smile still on his face!

Thanks a million TrentePieds
So much wisdom and knowledge....

I have contracted with a renowned Annapolis surveyor for my modest Cat27 which will be my fist keel boat. I like this model because of its history and longevity and because I will be single handling.
I know that it looks dumb to pay one grand (survey/haul out) for a $9,000 boat but the surveyor is going to point out a # of deficiencies to be addressed. That will be bargained with the seller. Even if I lose one grand, no big deal, I will get a good Cat and I will have learned a lot from the surveyor for.... my next boat!
ferrailleur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 12:04   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSB333 View Post
For our liveaboard cruiser, we had an expensive survey (airfare, etc.) plus a separate engine survey. $$$. But when we downsized to our 1984 Pearson 34, we only had the engine survey and made out our own list of problem areas as negotiating points. This is our fifth boat purchase, so we think we know what to look for.
RSB
exactly right..... you become your own surveyor after a while of leaning! I'm in the very beginning of this process.
Old 13-07-2018, 12:15   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Thanks for the links...
this is what I will have surveyed on July 20th.

https://annapolis.craigslist.org/boa...629840096.html
Old 13-07-2018, 12:23   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknishn View Post
I second all of the above. I used a surveyor prior to purchasing my less than $10K boat (I was living overseas, looking to purchase off the internet and wanted an "eye on the ground" perspective"). Boat was on the hard, included engine testing, but did not address standing rigging. Received a well written report, pictures and videos. As a result of the survey, the owner reduced to asking price by 4 times what the survey cost, so it was well worth it in my case.

Would I use a surveyor again? I'd say: Depends on the boat. I did hire a Rigger to survey the standing rigging after purchasing the boat just so I know what I have. The rest of the boat I could easily have surveyed myself had I been Stateside at the time.

Here's a cheesy video that I posted here a while back:
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ow-197237.html

Best of luck!

Great experience.....
the Cat27 I will have surveyed on the 20th (around $1,000 in and out of water) looks OK but lacks the cosmetics, sail and equipment of a fresher old boat. It has an inboard engine with 600 hrs. Has probably not been sailed a lot.

Old 13-07-2018, 12:31   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post
Do you have a friend that is particularly knowledgeable of boats? That's what I did when I purchased my first saltwater boat. Buy him a steak dinner to look it over well. But of course, it all depends on the knowledge level of the friend vs the surveyor. And what the surveyor is charging.

The surveyor is booked for the 20th (close to $1,000 in and out of water). A lot of $$ for a $9,000 asking price.... Maybe, but I may get a sound boat with some defects for $5,000?
Old 13-07-2018, 12:37   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
With good knowledge you can certainly do your own survey. While I like to use surveyors on my bigger boats, there really is little they add that I dont already know. Often they cover a lot of obvious stuff.. like "that hose isnt double clamped" or "the fire extinguishers are out of date". Two lookers is good though. Take a knowledgeable friend?
You want to know important stuff:
-Bottom blisters, cracks or evidence of grounding.
-tank condition (surveyors dont usually add any info on this)
-sail condition (surveyors dont usually add much info on this other than a general comment)
-engine condition (surveyors dont usually add any info on this that isn't obvious)
-rigging (surveyors dont usually add any info on this other than a general comment)
-Deck core issues (the biggest thing a surveyor can do for you)
-cutlass bearing condition
-rudder core wet? (surveyors may not have any info on this or they might)
Thanks...
I have made a very exhaustive list of things to check thanks to this forum and my reading. This list will be discussed in detail with the surveyor...
Old 13-07-2018, 13:43   #83

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrailleur View Post
Thanks for the links...
this is what I will have surveyed on July 20th.

Nice. The guy with the $9,000 boat that I know wishes he had a roller furling jib as yours will and I'm sure he'd like the diesel also.

Btw, he and his wife crossed the lower bay here near the bridge recently and took a wave over the stern side. No big deal he said and his wife only got more excited. I think the wind was heavy SE which was bringing in the ocean waves and he was headed North

These Catalina 27's are good boats especially for the bay and coastal cruising. Plus they are much faster than a Bristol 27, Contessa 26, or Vega 27 and should be able to point higher

Also good idea using the survey to offset the price which helps pay for the survey maybe even making it no cost
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2018, 14:29   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Nice. The guy with the $9,000 boat that I know wishes he had a roller furling jib as yours will and I'm sure he'd like the diesel also.

Btw, he and his wife crossed the lower bay here near the bridge recently and took a wave over the stern side. No big deal he said and his wife only got more excited. I think the wind was heavy SE which was bringing in the ocean waves and he was headed North

These Catalina 27's are good boats especially for the bay and coastal cruising. Plus they are much faster than a Bristol 27, Contessa 26, or Vega 27 and should be able to point higher

Also good idea using the survey to offset the price which helps pay for the survey maybe even making it no cost
thanks, very good info for a first boat buyer. I've done a lot of searching, read a lot, and learned a lot thanks to this forum and YOU. I've made my check list in-out of water that I will gently detail with the surveyor not wanting to usurp his surveying expertise.

Tags
survey