Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 11:13   #1

Boat: Corbin 39 / 41.5 LOA
Non-resident Florida Boat Purchase

Looking for a little help from others... Considering making a purchase of 40' sailboat in Florida from private seller (no Broker). We would plan on bringing north via ICW to Connecticut.
-Anyone know about transfer of Fl registration to nonresident?
-Do Fl boats have Titles or just Registration?
-How would this all change if it's a documented boat?
Boat would stay in Fl for a couple months then bring north in June...

*any suggestions on a yard for haul and survey in Miami area?
* Any suggestions on good marine surveyors in Miami - Looking for an insurance survey.
-Thanks
Chenega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 11:28   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Non-resident Florida Boat Purchase

We just did that. You'll have to re-register the boat in your name and pay the use taxes either to FL or wherever you register the boat. USCG docs won't preclude you from that anymore.
Your taxes will be based on how much you paid for the boat on your sales docs, so it's nice if that number reflects a low price.
We've started the USCG redocumentation, it takes a while and the bank has to release the title. $4K left and it's ours!!
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 15:28   #3

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I did this very thing last fall and can help out a little bit. SSgtPitt is correct on things. I would also add going to the DMV, which is a privately run thing in Fla., and immediately removing the previous owners name off the registration, which I believe is free. Register in your home state, bringing the old title, and copy of your insurance, and pay your sales tax then. If you leave it in Florida too long(60 days) you may have to pay their registration fees as well before moving it, but I am not sure, others could probably chime in and correct me if I am wrong.
Old 28-03-2016, 05:21   #4

Here are links to the relevant information:
Official Website Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
http://dor.myflorida.com/dor/forms/current/gt800005.pdf

Boats in Florida are titled, unless they are USCG documented, in which case you do not need a title--the documentation serves to prove ownership. When you buy the boat you will have to pay sales tax. USCG documentation has nothing to do with sales tax, and never did. The DMV is where you take care of registration and paying sales tax, but it most definitely is NOT "a privately run thing" in Florida! There will be at least one office in every county. In Dade county I wouldn't be surprised if there are a dozen or more.

One item to note is that sales tax on a vessel, in Florida, is based on the price of just the boat. Hence, if your bill of sale itemizes the boat, the engine, the sails, and other miscellaneous property separately, then you will only pay tax on the boat itself. Most people don't realize this and make out the bill of sale with one, total amount--forcing the buyer to pay tax on the total amount. That said, the folks at the DMV are not stupid. If your bill of sale says the sails, engine, and other items were $100,000 and the boat itself was $5, they're not going to fall for that. Be realistic in divvying up the amounts, though, and you should be fine.

Good luck.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 05:34   #5

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

You can not leave the boat in Florida more than 60 days without having it registered in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2016, 13:04   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
You can not leave the boat in Florida more than 60 days without having it registered in Florida.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Close on the boat in April and leave in June ----

Sent from my iPhone- please forgive autocorrect errors.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, purchase