Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2019, 12:38   #1

North Jersey south in the spring

We bought a Catalina 320 in Parlin New Jersey and will be sailing her home in the spring. I was wondering if any other sailors or groups are going south at that time. This will our first time sailing that area and would like to be in a group> THANKS
Steffijune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 18:10   #2

Re: North Jersey south in the spring

Steffijune,

Maybe let the Forum know where the "home" is that you'll be sailing her to...? If it's south to somewhere like Florida, you might add if you're intending to sail outside or go via ICW. Also perhaps be a bit more specific with dates.

(Generally, the more detailed the information you provide to the Forum, the more helpful will be the replies back.)

Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2019, 18:57   #3
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I do not believe there is safety in numbers. The main reason is that having a group means having a schedule, and being pressured into moving in poor weather is not safe.

Just go over the boat and stick to good weather.

The Delaware Bay can be unpleasant; make sure there is a south wind. Enjoy the Chesapeake. By then the boat will be well shaken down and you will be comfortable with her.
Old 22-01-2019, 07:31   #4

Thanks but it depends on mother nature on when we're leaving and home is Swansboro NC.
Old 22-01-2019, 09:05   #5

Done this trip a few times
Where in NJ are you leaving from?
From up the Delaware?
Or from Raritan Bay?
Two different trips
Either way I’d duck into the ICW
and avoid Cape Hateras
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 09:40   #6

Boat: 1988 Hunter Legend 35

I assume you're sailing out from Morgan (or one of the other close marinas).

if so - I generally leave the Cheesequake Creek mid-May, before can be 'unpredictable' on the bay.

You will need to go out with a rising high tide (HT -1) as there tends to be a bar build up at the end of the channel into Raritan bay and can drop the depth to 2-3' at low tide, you also need to time the departure with the route 35 road bridge (on the hour only and don't be late) along with the Morgan rail bridge.

once out - DO NOT CUT THE CORNER, go out to the channel marker before heading east, it gets very shallow very quickly! (I know from experience!)

once out in the bay I would head for Great Kills on Staten Island or Atlantic Highlands and stop there the first night, it will give you a good shake down.

after that you're going down the Jersey coast to Cape May with very limited opportunity, well for anything with any draft, to put in until you get to Atlantic City - I usually plan on 24-30 hours to Cape May from Sandy Hook

once there as per above I would head to the ICW
grae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 10:06   #7

Yes Morgan Marine, thanks for the heads up also! I am hoping to go ocean as much as possible till Norfolk but again all depends on weather. I don't think I would ever go off of hatteras I've fished there in a 50 ft. sports fisher and didn't trust being out there
Old 22-01-2019, 13:35   #8

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffijune View Post
Yes Morgan Marine, thanks for the heads up also! I am hoping to go ocean as much as possible till Norfolk but again all depends on weather. I don't think I would ever go off of hatteras I've fished there in a 50 ft. sports fisher and didn't trust being out there
your first layover down the coast will probably be barnegat
Old 22-01-2019, 17:49   #9

Once you leave Morgan Marina, Atlantic Highlands and Sandy Hook are about 14-15 miles away. After that, you'll be outside. There's only a few places to duck in if you need to. From the tip of Sandy Hook to Shark River Inlet is about 20 miles (bascule bridge you'll need opened right at the beach). Manasquan Inlet is 5 miles further, so about 25 from Sandy Hook. Barnegat Inlet is about another 20 miles or about 45 from Sandy Hook (60 from Morgan). I've been in all 3 but am most familiar with Barnegat since my slip is due west across the bay from Barnegat Light. In any case, I've attached a marked-up Navionics screenshot of Barnegat inlet with 2 anchorages just inside in case you're considering stopping there. Congrats on the boat and safe travels home & beyond.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Barnegat Inlet.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	411.5 KB
ID:	184321  
kapnkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2019, 17:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapnkarl View Post
Once you leave Morgan Marina, Atlantic Highlands and Sandy Hook are about 14-15 miles away. After that, you'll be outside. There's only a few places to duck in if you need to. From the tip of Sandy Hook to Shark River Inlet is about 20 miles (bascule bridge you'll need opened right at the beach). Manasquan Inlet is 5 miles further, so about 25 from Sandy Hook. Barnegat Inlet is about another 20 miles or about 45 from Sandy Hook (60 from Morgan). I've been in all 3 but am most familiar with Barnegat since my slip is due west across the bay from Barnegat Light. In any case, I've attached a marked-up Navionics screenshot of Barnegat inlet with 2 anchorages just inside in case you're considering stopping there. Congrats on the boat and safe travels home & beyond.
Thank you very much!
Old 22-01-2019, 18:38   #11

Boat: Maine Cat 38

Atlantic Highlands is a great place to stage waiting for a weather window. Typically heading off shore after a passing low gives a couple days of good sailing weather. In early spring the lows can be close together and there are often very gusty conditions. Going a bit further off shore sometimes gets much different weather, which can be used to your advantage. By mid May the weather will be more settled, but i am not suggesting waiting if you are ready to go earlier. Just be ready. Catching a stiff westerly would make a great ride.

We also like Barnegatt and have used the anhorages noted by kapnkarl. While we often intend to run the New Jersey coast non stop, we usually end up stopping some where and Barnegatt is our first choice.

After Cape May the distance to Norfolk is well over 100 miles and there is just about no where to duck in. I would probably plan to turn up the Delaware River and the run the Chesapeake, BUT have the option of continuing offshore if both weather and boat are looking good. Running the Chesapeake will add two to three days to the trip, but there are plenty of options for repairs and other distractions.

Norfolk is a nice stop over. Good restaurants etc. Nice place to get a good rest after the offshore run before heading into the intercoastal.
Sparx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2019, 05:44   #12

Talking with Morgan Marine and where my boat is located in the yard it looks like it will be May before they can launch it. I was hoping for west or southwest winds coming offshore for a smoother ride. Thanks for all the help