Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2016, 21:58   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

If it's your job to eat a frog, it's best to do it first thing in the morning. And If it's your job to eat two frogs, it's best to eat the biggest one first.
Old 19-04-2016, 23:55   #182

Don't drift that way, drift this way

Cara Delevingne: LISTEN & SILENT are spelt with the same letters. Think About It

Joe Lycett: Also TINSEL. Think about that.

Joe Lycett: Life is like a box of chocolates, it doesn't last long if you're fat.

Old 19-04-2016, 23:58   #183
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

This thread just makes me sad. I wish people had more understanding beyond their own circles and had compassion but that's not the case.

Anyway, I won't be reading this thread anymore and, frankly, I hope it gets closed.
Old 20-04-2016, 01:42   #184
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tp12 View Post
This thread just makes me sad. I wish people had more understanding beyond their own circles and had compassion but that's not the case.

Anyway, I won't be reading this thread anymore and, frankly, I hope it gets closed.
Its a reflection of society and culture. Of selfishness and generosity of spirit. Of differences of life experience and expectation and attitude.

Its a microcosm of reality.

It teaches us what is really going on out there... and from that we can learn and make our own way in life.
Old 20-04-2016, 01:50   #185

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclemack View Post
This is my last response to any of your posts on this subject so make the most of it.

From artists making a good living you now presume to demand examples of artists making big bucks.

Such a laughably childish ploy wouldn't succeed in a junior debating society - I'd be annoyed if anyone whose intellect I respected ever tried such a thing.

Lottery? Dominated by the working poor? Pharaohs and Chinese emperors? Rocky? Poor underdog? What fresh nonsense is this?
Did you have an actual point to make - and did you even read through what you'd written?

Maybe you think "most words wins" however randomly thrown together?

I can only assume that, were I to respond further, you would again try to move the goalposts while spewing the same random gobbledegook.
Apparently, you think "most words wins" because you didn't even make an attempt to refute my points. They all still stand. You still have failed to show a time when art for arts sake was a viable career path on a large scale.

Not sure what debates you've been involved in but calling a response childish typically means you don't have any factual response so you try to attack the person.

Circling back around...if you choose a career path not in demand, don't expect to make a much at that career, quite possibly expect to make nothing...regardless of how much love, passion, hardwire, etc...you have for that path. In terms of an art based career, honest hatred of the wealthy is pure stupidity (from an income point of view) as they are the primary drivers of the limited positions for artists.

I would differentiate a legitimate career path that involves art such as graphic design, sign painter or other in demand fields but be aware that they can be quickly changed by technology. For example, I know a guy in Landscape Architecture. He had a great blend of technical and art as he developed proposals showing what a proposed streetscape would look like. Way back it was all hand drawn and took an impressive amount of artistic skill. He eventually got replaced by a computer program because what took him a few days to do could be done by a computer in minutes and if a tree was in the wrong place, you could move it after the fact in seconds.
Old 20-04-2016, 01:55   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
BTW the minimum wage in Australia is $17.29/hr 38hr week, plus 9.5% superannuation plus 4.5% workers compensation. The businesses also collect 10% GST for the government. I don't write this to complain, just to add perspective.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I haven't been following it too closely but didn't Australia go thru a huge mining boom driving up wages as supply and demand forced employers to raise wages regardless of what the minimum was and now that the mining boom has died off they are struggling with what to do?

The problem they face is it's really hard for elected officials it's not politically viable to "cut" low income worker pay without being labeled haters (ie: once the minimum wage goes up, it never goes back down), so unless another boom cycle starts soon, expect the Aussie dollar to take a big hit effectively hurting everyone.
Old 20-04-2016, 02:02   #187

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Yes to be one of the working poor or minimum wage earner it is often by choice, if you very broadly define the meaning of choice. However remember that the median IQ in the US is about 100. That means that half the people in this country have an IQ below 100, many well below.

This results in a significant number of people that just don't have the mental capacity to do much more than a minimum wage job, no matter how motivated and hard working.
By definition average is 100, so nothing shocking that the average is 100 or 50% are below average. It's just a mathematical definition.

More importantly, IQ is only marginally related to job success. A motivated hard working employee with a 90 will often do better than a 140 who is scatter brained and can't keep on task.

I'm in the engineering world and you would think being a technical field the top earners would be the most technically advanced but I find it to be the opposite.
- The most technical staff tend to wind up in a cubicle crunching numbers rarely advancing.
- The ones who advance have average technical skill but good social skills (ie: they can talk to and deal with clients)

Of course, a technical genius who is also socially adept is a killer combination.

PS: When comparing IQ across countries, you have to take it with a huge grain of salt. It's very hard to develop a test that doesn't bias the data. Some of the countries listed have high percentage of non-readers...of course they will have more difficulty with a written test and if you make it an oral test are those giving the test keeping neutral.
Old 20-04-2016, 03:41   #188

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Bro...you need to re-read and put the chip down...
I was politely calling Paul out for being nasty to you for the name calling.

Somehow, you then lump a guy defending YOU in with a guy calling you names...whooaaaa amigo........someone needs some chill time...

No apology is necessary of course, you earned a mulligan with your service to our Country, for which we thank you sincerely.
Yeah, you are right. I got overly fired up dealing with your man Paul. It was just one of those days. So nice to have CF sometimes

I understand that sometimes there's talk on here about sailing also.....
Old 20-04-2016, 09:50   #189

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Here in Beautiful BC it is 23 C. Nothing but blue skies and a little breeze. Gotta go down to the boat and bend on the Yankee and Main ready for that first sail of the season. What a wonderful day!
Old 20-04-2016, 13:27   #190

Good God! Talk about thread drift!
Old 20-04-2016, 16:10   #191

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Good God! Talk about thread drift!
Well, it's such an old and boring subject.

Some guy goes to South Florida and the Bahamas on vacation and gets overly impressed.

It happens all the time.

Then when they finally get to move there they find that it becomes same ole same after a bit. They don't even get to enjoy the seasons. (Fall leaves, Winter snow, the reawakening of Spring, etc)

I/we actually got to live on the water in Pensacola. (after living in Arizona and Tennessee for 20 years) It was a two bedroom apartment for $450.00/month about 150' or so from the water and the dock. They turned it into Condo's after Hurricane Ivan nearly destroyed it in September 2004. We had an 18' surge in some places

http://landingsofpensacola.com/

We had two beachcats secured just above high water. (over on the left side in the picture. We would sail out tacking inside the two docks wind being SW from the bottom of your screen) We raced or sailed 8-10 months out of the year almost constantly for years.

My 15 year old son and his friends would sail to Pensacola Beach to "pick up chicks." Young girls that were visiting their other parent during the summer as my son was doing until he finally moved there. He had been sailing and racing with me since he was 10 years old so he was pretty good on a Hobie 16. He didn't worry about tell tales etc. He went by "feel" as far as boat speed.......because he's an artist type!

The monohull guys paid $50.00 per month for their slips.

All that changed very rapidly though but it was nice for a while. After 4 years or so we moved off the water but kept the boats there
Old 20-04-2016, 18:36   #192

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
I haven't been following it too closely but didn't Australia go thru a huge mining boom driving up wages as supply and demand forced employers to raise wages regardless of what the minimum was and now that the mining boom has died off they are struggling with what to do?

The problem they face is it's really hard for elected officials it's not politically viable to "cut" low income worker pay without being labeled haters (ie: once the minimum wage goes up, it never goes back down), so unless another boom cycle starts soon, expect the Aussie dollar to take a big hit effectively hurting everyone.
Hi, yes in my opnion your right but I think its worse than that. We had 20-30 year olds driving trucks on $170000/ year, my girlfriend was cleaning rooms (house keeping) at a mining camp and was being payed $2,500/ week! This is with great food and accomodation supplied. It is now over for most, but expectations didnt decline as the the boom went away. Also that money (amongst other things) injected into the economy has created a real estate bubble as well as a over capacity ie. to many businesses and to fewer customers. The personal debt levels in Australia are amongst the highest in the world. The debt levels of coporations such as mining companys are also huge as they expanded to meet demand that is no longer there. Australian society is in denial of the numbers, but so are most economies. We have over capacity due to aboom that is no longer and over expectation created by people that think they are worth more. Interesting times at foot.

Old 20-04-2016, 18:42   #193

Another thing is minimal wage can't go down, as such things as rent are real expensive. I rent a humble little 3 bedroom house out for $450/week! To me this is crazy, all perspective has been lost.

Old 20-04-2016, 19:13   #194

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Another thing is minimal wage can't go down, as such things as rent are real expensive. I rent a humble little 3 bedroom house out for $450/week! To me this is crazy, all perspective has been lost.

$450/week would be fantastsic here in Vancouver BC where it's possible you might be paying $1500/week for just a couple of rooms.
Old 20-04-2016, 19:15   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
$450/week would be fantastsic here in Vancouver BC where it's possible you might be paying $1500/week for just a couple of rooms.
$450 is the lower end of the spectrum. But I do realize Vancouver is also as crazy......unsustainable!

Closed Thread