Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2016, 15:44   #211
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Now I understand how poor i am.

It will come in stages...they will first replace the counter folks that take your order.
Or 1 employee will look over 4-self order kiosks...just like at Home Depot and WalMart.

Less employees...less expenses.
The Capital cost of the Kiosk is a one time finance debt...the employee's cost goes on and on and on not to mention Obamacare!
Old 21-04-2016, 15:46   #212
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Your not hogging it, if anyone is, I am
But reason it's not automated is currently manual labor is cheaper. Way I figure it, is if for example a $15 an hour min wage passes, one of three things will happen.
1. Fast food hamburgers will cost $10 ea.
2 . Fast food will disappear
3. Number of employees will be reduced drastically, I assume by automation.

I don't have a dog in the fight to be truthful as I don't eat fast food, OK maybe occasionally a Subway sandwich, but that is it.

I don't have a clue where this is going, I do believe it's vital for someone to be able to work and take pride in their work and feel they contribute, that Welfare is demeaning and needs to be eliminated to a large extent.
People should have jobs, not a handout,

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-04-2016, 17:21   #213

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
What blame?
People buying homes to either live in, rent, or for investment purposes is not just Legal...but is perfectly Moral and the right thing to do!

If people are complaining that the prices are too high, the solution is to build more homes, not attack and blame those doing the buying. Maybe if the Governments were not printing money to fund out of control spending then the interest rates would not be near zero and investors would put their money into the bank rather than a physical asset of property?

...ah...yes...but the Government regulators won't stop QE Infinity nor will they allow for those new homes to be built you see. So once again, the Government is screwing the little guy by interfering in the free market...do you see a trend here?
I'm with you Rich. You can't just keep devaluing money through the likes of zero or negative intetest rates and QE etc and not expect consequences. You also can't blame people that have the means and insight to recognize the problems to take advantage of the situation, its just smart.
A mate of mine sold his place in Australia for 1.2 million, he realized it was ridiculous. He then went and purchased several properties at there low point in Florida, I think 2009. He went from working in Australia to retired on a 70k / year passive income living on his boat! His he greedy or smart? Money needs to have a price, negative and zero rates will end badly. The crazy thing is , its quite predictable, but people don't want to look.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-04-2016, 17:50   #214

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK how about this, the biggest reason I'm sure Restaurants have dishwashing machines is they are cheaper than hiring a dishwashing person.
Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I believe the real reason for automated dishwasher machines is a matter of cleanliness and the ability to kill bacteria using higher temperatures than the human hands can tolerate. I'm not sure if it is cheaper than a human.
Old 22-04-2016, 05:40   #215

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylat8750 View Post
Is there an anchor on the bottom in that picture?

Ah.. the picture didn't copy....
Ah ... yes. A sweet longhaired one! ;-)

b.
Old 22-04-2016, 06:09   #216

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:

What blame?

People buying homes to either live in, rent, or for investment purposes is not just Legal...but is perfectly Moral and the right thing to do!

Yes.

Then again think about all those second homes in warmer climes that get occupied just for a fortnight every year. Summer homes they call it. Well, I can tell you there used to be a forest, a meadow and a bush where the homes are now. I, for one, of all the animals and plants that share this planet like mankind least, with all our morality that allows for zero respect for the remaining 99.99% of the species.

Summer homes and 'investment properties' should be banned and torn down. Summer homes and investment property that's exactly what is killing the landscape form the Med thru Cal, Florida and into the Caribbean.

Sure, our vision of morality allows for all forms of selfishness. Our morality is a living proof of how poor and short-sighted our morality is. Morality allowed us to chase and drown witches, burn people on stakes and drop nuclear bombs on other humans.

Now morality is OK with thousands of square miles of land destroyed to give us summer homes. I think our morality is screwed.

b.
Old 22-04-2016, 06:52   #217

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Yes.

Then again think about all those second homes in warmer climes that get occupied just for a fortnight every year. Summer homes they call it. Well, I can tell you there used to be a forest, a meadow and a bush where the homes are now. I, for one, of all the animals and plants that share this planet like mankind least, with all our morality that allows for zero respect for the remaining 99.99% of the species.

Summer homes and 'investment properties' should be banned and torn down. Summer homes and investment property that's exactly what is killing the landscape form the Med thru Cal, Florida and into the Caribbean.

Sure, our vision of morality allows for all forms of selfishness. Our morality is a living proof of how poor and short-sighted our morality is. Morality allowed us to chase and drown witches, burn people on stakes and drop nuclear bombs on other humans.

Now morality is OK with thousands of square miles of land destroyed to give us summer homes. I think our morality is screwed.

b.
What is it? Earth Day today? Uhh...yeah, I guess it is...
Old 22-04-2016, 06:59   #218
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
What is it? Earth Day today? Uhh...yeah, I guess it is...

Good point, I had forgotten that.
Old 22-04-2016, 07:14   #219

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Are you telling us that Government action has unintended consequences that end up hurting their Citizens? I don't believe it...can't be...say it ain't so...

Just wait till the folks that lose their new $15/hr job to an Order Kiosk....will they learn that lesson? Na...you know they won't. They and the politicians that lie to them, will blame it on the big evil Corporations and 1%. I could write their playbook it's so predictable.
When machines or technology can replace humans at less cost that is inevitable. And that's how it should be. A business owner would be a fool not to reduce the cost of doing business when possible.

A person who chooses not to learn any valuable skills will always be on the bottom and always be one step away from being replaced by a machine.

Even with skills, one has to be flexible enough to learn new skills as technology takes over.
Old 22-04-2016, 07:18   #220

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
I believe the real reason for automated dishwasher machines is a matter of cleanliness and the ability to kill bacteria using higher temperatures than the human hands can tolerate. I'm not sure if it is cheaper than a human.
Automated dishwashers are cheaper and more reliable than humans. They don't fail to show up, they don't get drunk or stoned on the job, and they clean better. They never argue with the other automatic dishwashers.

I think the easiest way people can begin to understand economics is to imagine themselves as owning a business, selling products and/or services and hiring and paying employees.
Old 22-04-2016, 08:12   #221
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think the comment on the Affordable Health Care act was correct to, it's my understanding that increases costs to an employer by quite a bit, how much I don't know as I have no employees.
One way I know to dodge those kinds of unfunded Federal mandates was only hire part time employees, so the net effect was just the opposite of what was intended as part time I believe has no benefits
Old 22-04-2016, 08:37   #222

Boat: Bristol 27

Affordable Health Care is definitely a good thing though.

The government may just need to figure out a better way to fund it
Old 22-04-2016, 08:44   #223

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Affordable Health Care is definitely a good thing though.

The government may just need to figure out a better way to fund it

Or better yet, find a way to get out of it. With the exception of the military and USCG can you name one federal project that was run well and efficiently?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 22-04-2016, 08:57   #224
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amytom View Post
Or better yet, find a way to get out of it. With the exception of the military and USCG can you name one federal project that was run well and efficiently?

It's my understanding that both the Tennessee Valley Authority and NASA were both profitable.
Old 22-04-2016, 09:06   #225

Boat: PDQ 32 DogHouse

Don't know enough about the TVA but I'll concede NASA (I'm a NASA brat myself). But they are definitely in the minority. Most federal projects are poster children for inefficiency and stupidity. Just look at the FDA/USCG issue in another thread.

BTW even NASA is in the process of letting private companies do more and more of the routine stuff with better efficiency and letting NASA itself concentrate on pure research (and Muslim relations). 😜

Closed Thread