Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2024, 10:02   #1

Boat: Custom 28' Power Catamaran
NYC long term transient slip?

We are considering a trip thru NYC in the next 2 years. Would love to stay about 2 months there. What are the options for such a stay?

Requirements:
-in water slip, 35’ sailboat
-maximum one hour (preferably 30 minutes) to Manhatten, and preferably on a train line.
-not willing to pay transient rate of several hundred dollars a day
-willing to hit it a bit off-season (early spring/late fall)

Thank you
David
massnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 11:17   #2

Boat: Adams 45
Re: NYC long term transient slip?

Port Washington Water Taxi has moorings with tender service. It's about half hour train ride, with a 20 minute walk from the dock to the train station. Last I knew it was $30/day. Nice town with groceries, restaurants, etc.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 12:12   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
Port Washington Water Taxi has moorings with tender service. It's about half hour train ride, with a 20 minute walk from the dock to the train station. Last I knew it was $30/day. Nice town with groceries, restaurants, etc.
Is that the yacht club there? If so, not sure I want to “join” it, unless it’s super easy and minimal cost. Also, that is a bit far out…..I am guessing a bus to the train, and the the train into the city…..how long would it take? Not sure we are willing to do it if it is over one hour total time….
Old 07-06-2024, 13:11   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Liberty Landing in Jersey City is in a great spot. Summer dockage is $pendy and may be hard to get. Off-season prices are very good. They run a small ferry to Manhattan or you can take a subway to either the World Trade Center or 34th St.
Old 07-06-2024, 13:55   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post

The water taxi is run by the Town of North Hempstead. Not sure they would let you hang off of one of their moorings for 2 months though -- you should call and check with them before planning on that. There are a couple of marinas as well that you could talk to about a longer term slip, although I don't think they will be particularly cheap ...
Plumbean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 20:49   #6

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Re Port Washinton/Manhasset Bay
Don't have to join YC.
For Mooring call Matt Myran he will set you up/quote price.
(he is PW Water taxi) 516 767 1691 or 516 455 0411
Will include launch service to anywhere on the bay.
LIRR Port Washington line is 35-40 minutes to NYC (Penn Station or Grand Central)
Yes, 20 minute walk or 5 minute bike ride to station.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 11:11   #7

Boat: Sabre 402

Have you looked at City Island? Subway isn't too convenient but there are buses. There are also marinas along the coast up through Larchmont that would enable you to take a half-hour Metro North train ride to Grand Central Terminal in Manhattan.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 14:23   #8

Don’t ignore Atlantic Highlands, NJ either. Sandy Hook Bay Marina is literally next door to the ferry to downtown manhattan. They did good for us when we stayed there a few years ago.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 14:40   #9

A bit of a fine point, but two months is a bit more than transient during a max six months season -- to the point you might look into a seasonal slip at some of the ports mentioned. Probably no more than "transient" rates for that long and more flexible.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 06:12   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Is the vessel you are looking for accommodations not in your bio? The 28ft power cat? Or 35 ft. something? What’s the beam?

You could try the 79th street boat basin, I have not explored this option in years, there are no slips they are moorings, you may be able to find one of their seasonal yachties that will rent you their mooring ball while they are out on a trip. It’s a shot in the dark but you might hit something, not sure they can even sublet but if you can it might also pop up on DockWa or other online booking options.

Dave it takes more than 30 min to get many places in Manhattan it’s self, east side to west side, (uptown) 108th st. to (midtown)24th st. The 79th street boat basin is the only small boat accommodations I know of on Manhattan. There are several small marinas on the outskirts of Brooklyn, north Queens and the Bronx, The Waterway guide would help you with you particulars, it may require some work to get in touch with them.
Cheep and easy is not a pairing typically found in NYC.

good luck
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 07:02   #11

Boat: Adams 45

The 79th St Boat Basin is closed for renovations. They've been stuck in the planning phase for several years already. Not happening soon.
pjShap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 07:21   #12

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I have found that if you go a bit late in the season City Island usually has moorings available at various Yacht clubs. I have used the Harlem yacht club a couple of times. After labor day they have some very reasonable rates. I don't know what current rates are but last time I used them was 2018 and they were $160/week. I've never done more than a week so I'm not sure what kind of deal you could get for a two month stay. I also don't know when they close up for the winter but I have stayed there in the first week of October. Their launch only operates until 8:00 so if you're going to be late returning from the city you'll need to use your dinghy. The bus stop is a 2 minute walk and a 10 minute or so bus ride to the subway. Then about 40 minutes to Manhattan depending on where you're going. I found it more convenient than Port Washington which I have also done.
Captain Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2024, 17:00   #13

Thanks to those who replied….but I think I found the magic bullet. Pier 25 marina. I think this is a new thing??

Sounds like for $1500 per month I can live right in Tribeca. And the mooring includes the free use of an electric tender.

Seems almost too good to be true, but I will pursue this….

https://crewny.com/pier-25-marina
Old 15-06-2024, 17:57   #14

It would be good to get some intel from someone with experience staying there. I suspect that place is not all that comfortable due to the wave action, with the waves reflecting off the adjacent piers. I have not stayed there, but the few times I have walked by I thought keeping a boat there would be quite different from living on one there ...
Plumbean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2024, 05:15   #15

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plumbean View Post
It would be good to get some intel from someone with experience staying there. I suspect that place is not all that comfortable due to the wave action, with the waves reflecting off the adjacent piers. I have not stayed there, but the few times I have walked by I thought keeping a boat there would be quite different from living on one there ...
Yes this location is exposed, open to the Hudson it can receive a great deal of swell that bounces wall to wall. I have seen that it collects debris as a function of the eddy that it is.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nyc