Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 13:45   #16

Re: NYC to Phil Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat driver View Post
what kind of boat?
sailboat
Buster007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 15:16   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Do you know about AquaMap?

It has free charts for the USA. More importantly if you sign up for the MASTER program ($10??) you have access to NOAA depth soundings and Local Notice To Mariners. Cape May has been sounded fairly recently.

Delaware City Marina is a decent overnight stop. They have diesel and a good local restaurant/bar (Crabby Dicks) or a diner with local crabs (Kathys.).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B12A2245-943F-4883-87AE-F30BE98BC61F.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	506.0 KB
ID:	246203  
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 13:45   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Do you know about AquaMap?

It has free charts for the USA. More importantly if you sign up for the MASTER program ($10??) you have access to NOAA depth soundings and Local Notice To Mariners. Cape May has been sounded fairly recently.

Delaware City Marina is a decent overnight stop. They have diesel and a good local restaurant/bar (Crabby Dicks) or a diner with local crabs (Kathys.).
No thanks. Zoom in that looks like a bad leroy neiman painting. Whats with all the red?
Have plenty of charts
Old 07-10-2021, 04:41   #19

Am I correct in saying there is pretty much no place to stop between Cape May and Delaware City for a sailboat?
Old 07-10-2021, 05:07   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not exactly, it depends upon on whether you are cruising or transiting and draft.

There is the town of Greenwich, NJ is up the Cohansey River. The marina is auite far from town and has a lousy reputation.

On the Delaware side is Leipsic but the mouth has a bar and is draft limited.

Then there is Reedy Island anchorage on the DE side, off Augustine. This is an artificial anchorage with a low and long rock wall that many have hit. But it is a good anchorage short of the canal.

I have not used any of these. I have, in settled conditions, just anchored under the DE shore.

If transiting and trying to make time the only viable anchorage is Reedy Island.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:11   #21

Quote:
Not exactly, it depends upon on whether you are cruising or transiting and draft.

There is the town of Greenwich, NJ is up the Cohansey River. The marina is auite far from town and has a lousy reputation.

On the Delaware side is Leipsic but the mouth has a bar and is draft limited.

Then there is Reedy Island anchorage on the DE side, off Augustine. This is an artificial anchorage with a low and long rock wall that many have hit. But it is a good anchorage short of the canal.

I have not used any of these. I have, in settled conditions, just anchored under the DE shore.

If transiting and trying to make time the only viable anchorage is Reedy Island.
They all sound like places to avoid
Old 07-10-2021, 05:21   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Delaware is not a great cruising destination. Mostly it is a body of water to get through. The good thing is it provides a short cut to/from the upper Chesapeake.

Reedy Island is a decent anchorage, IF you do your due diligence and pay attention. I would highly consider it in lieu of going into Delaware City if I was simply transiting the area, needed to wait for the tide, needed a break but did NOT need fuel or parts or a restaurant. I was berthed in Delaware City for many years. It is adequate to good. Many folks use it as a stop when doing the loop.

Greenwich has a big lift and lots of ground space. Leipsic also has a good size lift and a full service diesel repair facility.
Old 07-10-2021, 05:38   #23

Quote:
The Delaware is not a great cruising destination. Mostly it is a body of water to get through. The good thing is it provides a short cut to/from the upper Chesapeake.

Reedy Island is a decent anchorage, IF you do your due diligence and pay attention. I would highly consider it in lieu of going into Delaware City if I was simply transiting the area, needed to wait for the tide, needed a break but did NOT need fuel or parts or a restaurant. I was berthed in Delaware City for many years. It is adequate to good. Many folks use it as a stop when doing the loop.

Greenwich has a big lift and lots of ground space. Leipsic also has a good size lift and a full service diesel repair facility.
Thanks - For first time thru and possibly at night I think i might prefer the anchorage just north of the canal. This is a delivery so not cruising
Old 07-10-2021, 06:07   #24

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have anchored just north of the canal several times, and it was a very good anchrage.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 06:12   #25

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have done this many times. I like Absecon (Atlantic City) for a layover, better than cape may. Depth is not an issue. The marina there is great. Not too scenic, but easy in easy out, dick side pump out. Fuel dock is on the way in, and there's a ton of restaurants, if you wish. Cape may will take about an hour to weave through to anchor or get to the dock.

Also, on the way out of cape may you'll have to go a good bit east (about 2 Nm) to avoid the shoals near prissy wicks.

As far as going up the Delaware, stay just outside the channel on the North side. You'll have plenty of water, and will be out of the shipping lane. That's what I do, esp at night.

The Delaware river is easy to navigate at night, and I always do the Delaware river leg at night. The lighthouses and the Atons are well marked.

Last thing, get an Eldridge Pilot book. You won't be able to do the entire Delaware river leg with favorable tide. It's too long. Better to have favorable tide on the north end of the Delaware where it runs faster.
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 07:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I have done this many times. I like Absecon (Atlantic City) for a layover, better than cape may. Depth is not an issue. The marina there is great. Not too scenic, but easy in easy out, dick side pump out. Fuel dock is on the way in, and there's a ton of restaurants, if you wish. Cape may will take about an hour to weave through to anchor or get to the dock.

Also, on the way out of cape may you'll have to go a good bit east (about 2 Nm) to avoid the shoals near prissy wicks.

As far as going up the Delaware, stay just outside the channel on the North side. You'll have plenty of water, and will be out of the shipping lane. That's what I do, esp at night.

The Delaware river is easy to navigate at night, and I always do the Delaware river leg at night. The lighthouses and the Atons are well marked.

Last thing, get an Eldridge Pilot book. You won't be able to do the entire Delaware river leg with favorable tide. It's too long. Better to have favorable tide on the north end of the Delaware where it runs faster.
We will be going north of Phil almost to Trenton. An issues going up the river at night or with current? Once again it looks like few good places to stop north of the canal
Old 07-10-2021, 10:12   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Never did that run.
Old 11-10-2021, 08:54   #28

Boat: 43' Albin Sundeck

At 6' draft, you want to stay to the right of Pea Patch Island.

There is an obstruction at the upriver side of the island which could cause some damage if hit.

Also, the tide can have a 6'+ swing and the current can be strong.

Where are you delivering the boat? The large marina in Philly is closed so make sure you have a destination set up before you arrive.

AIS would be helpful on the trip. Came in handy on 1 of our trips to the Chesapeake thru the C&D Canal. Interesting to receive a call from a BIG ship, with our boat name and a suggestion to change sides just before the turn in the river.

Good luck with the trip.
Nepidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:00   #29

Boat: Slocum 43

We just completed Cape May to C&D Canal and thru to Chesapeake. We draw 6 ft. Anchored in front of Coast Guard Station, went in to South Jersey Marina for fuel and had 12 ft all the way at close to low tide.
When we needed possible mechanical services only Utches Marina offered a slip. You can get in there at slack high tide - we saw no less than 8 feet. Only a few slips are deep enough so call first!
Wilma1046 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:26   #30

Boat: Swallowed the anchor

Worked an oyster boat for a few years out of Bivalve, NJ years ago. If you need to stop or need fuel the Maurice river is deep enough and there's fuel in Bivalve and a bit further up in Dorchester. The entrance from the bay can be tricky so best to be 3 hrs. on either side of high water. If you stop anywhere along the NJ side of the bay make sure you have bug repellent.
kenbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
navigation, nyc