Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2021, 23:25   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 349
Obtaining MMSI number new boat FCC

Does anyone know if it’s possible to get an MMSI number without coast guard registration or with some sort of temp registration? My boat will arrive tomorrow from France and will undergo commissioning and was told the CG registration may take up to 6 months. I want to order a Raymarine AIS700 and get installed right away but since I’ll go to Mexico occasionally, I believe I need to get the MMSI from the FCC and it seems they want the CG registration. I’d really like to get this going on my boat beforehand but seems like I may have a long wait ahead.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2021, 20:12   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds
Re: Obtaining MMSI number new boat FCC

Mike says he can get it for you (at least that is what he told me) Two boats ago the FCC site let me leave documentation blank but last time I was stuck. Can’t use Boatus if you plan on going international. Took just over two months to get my documentation.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 07:11   #3

Yea I got held up when asking for the CG registration. I plan to do post commissioning work after getting her and AIS was on my list. Guess I may just end up waiting.
Old 19-07-2021, 07:21   #4

As I bet you found, in the US, an authorized dealer needs to program the MMSI into the AIS, so installing it now and waiting on the MMSI is more difficult than buying from Defender which requires you to submit your MMSI information with the order. Time will fly as you commission your boat with other projects. If you are like me, they take three times as long as they should. Enjoy it!
Old 19-07-2021, 07:34   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Does anyone know if it’s possible to get an MMSI number without coast guard registration or with some sort of temp registration? My boat will arrive tomorrow from France and will undergo commissioning and was told the CG registration may take up to 6 months. I want to order a Raymarine AIS700 and get installed right away but since I’ll go to Mexico occasionally, I believe I need to get the MMSI from the FCC and it seems they want the CG registration. I’d really like to get this going on my boat beforehand but seems like I may have a long wait ahead.
Why,are you order commercial fishing boat or tanker.
All small pleasure craft under +- 300 tonn and under 49 passengers don't need AIS transceiver.bla bla bla
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageNam...equirementsRev
also you dont need any dealer for programming AIS when you recive MMSI number put in AIS DSC check 2 time corect information becouse only 1 time is alowed entry
more is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 07:52   #6

Boat: Beneteau 373

BOAT US offers free MMSI number acquisition for its members
James M B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2021, 08:03   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Ais class B is the best thing since sliced bread for cruisers , I’ve watched ships change course over the visible horizon cause they realised a WAFFI was ahead
Old 19-07-2021, 08:11   #8

Boat: Morgan 382

You will need a registration number, either USCG Document or State Registration number will work.

However, you can't change that number on the licensee once it is issued. You can make a minor change like a change of address, but changing the number would require getting a new license and a new MMSI.

So, even if you got some sort of temp number that would work, I would advise against it. Best to wait until you get your Documentation done.
Old 19-07-2021, 09:56   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by James M B View Post
BOAT US offers free MMSI number acquisition for its members
Good only in US. If you sail internationally you need to go to FCC. From the
BoatUS website.
"BoatUS has been authorized by both the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and the U.S. Coast Guard to assign MMSI numbers to vessels with DSC capable radios that are not required by law to carry a radio, and do not make international voyages or communications." I know the OP intends on sailing to Mexico.
Old 19-07-2021, 12:32   #10

Just going to wait it out then. Was hoping to knock out a bunch of projects at once and already have some bigger ones planned like the new head. Was just hoping to have that or my radar before the first longer cruise but given the radar is backordered it doesn’t look like I’ll have either as of now.
Old 19-07-2021, 13:18   #11

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Besides the more official MMSI, would a person also need the Restricted Radio Operator's Permit for using radios in international waters or harbors? Assuming vessel is 'voluntary' rather than 'compulsory'.
Old 19-07-2021, 16:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Besides the more official MMSI, would a person also need the Restricted Radio Operator's Permit for using radios in international waters or harbors? Assuming vessel is 'voluntary' rather than 'compulsory'.
When you apply for the MMSI with the FCC you just click a button and get both the call sign and MMSI number.
Old 20-07-2021, 06:08   #13

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zzmeyer View Post
When you apply for the MMSI with the FCC you just click a button and get both the call sign and MMSI number.
Thanks!
Old 01-09-2021, 07:20   #14

Quote:
Did you ever get this figured out? It seems like you need a Commercial license of some type if you are going into International water/harbors, etc. I’m thinking a General Radio Telephone Operator? What have you figured out?
scubad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 08:02   #15

Boat: SeaRunner 37, 11.3 metres

Quote:

For international travel and international communications, you will need a station license (includes MMSI) AND an operator's license; restricted radiotelephone being the easiest and cheapest one. The U.S. Power Squadron and Boat U.S. both offer a MMSI, but as another poster stated it is NOT for international travel or international communications.

https://www.fcc.gov/ship-radio-stations
operations tab, licensing tab

Things change, but in 2018 I got a station license with MMSI without a documentation number. At that time the station license was issued as valid for 10 a, and the restricted radiotelephone operator license for a lifetime.

Tags
boat, new boat