Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2024, 07:44   #91

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: OC Tender Owners - would you buy again?

Of the similar hard tenders (the lightweight, expensive variety), the ASTender designs look to me like they'd ride significantly better in a chop than the OC Tender. Maybe a little slower in calm water with the same power, but in general, the shape strikes me as a better set of compromises (and closer to what I'd build if I were doing a DIY dinghy).
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 15:33   #92

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Of the similar hard tenders (the lightweight, expensive variety), the ASTender designs look to me like they'd ride significantly better in a chop than the OC Tender. Maybe a little slower in calm water with the same power, but in general, the shape strikes me as a better set of compromises (and closer to what I'd build if I were doing a DIY dinghy).
I looked at the AST website and saw a YouTube review or two on them, but when I enquired about them using their website contact info............crickets. I Googled if there was a US distributor for them but came up empty, of course, this was a little over 3 years ago so maybe things have changed. Not sure of the build quality.
I would still buy my OCT again even though it isn't great in a chop, but we just come off of plane and it's fine, so we go 6 knots instead of 20. It is still a really well thought out dinghy.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 21:42   #93

Boat: Mumby 48

I really don't know why cat tenders aren't more popular. Light weight, can take a large load, very efficient and are buttery smooth through chop. Really really good expedition tenders.
JustMurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 08:22   #94

Boat: Lagoon

After owning my UP Boats tender UP300 dinghy for some time and using it extensively as a liveaboard cruiser I'm very pleased with the dry & comfortable ride in choppy conditions.

I've talked to the owners of the UP340 model in St. Martin and they hade an equally positive experience with theirs after two years in service.
They ordered it with the beach wheels which work really well.
thesauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 08:58   #95

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauvage View Post
After owning my UP Boats tender UP300 dinghy for some time and using it extensively as a liveaboard cruiser I'm very pleased with the dry & comfortable ride in choppy conditions.

I've talked to the owners of the UP340 model in St. Martin and they hade an equally positive experience with theirs after two years in service.
They ordered it with the beach wheels which work really well.
It looks like a direct copy of the OC Tender, I went to the UP website but do not see any images of the bottom. I would like to see this and how it compares.
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 09:25   #96

Boat: Lagoon

The hull of my UP Boats has a slight V shape throughout the entire length of the hull.

Actually the rounder bow shape deflects spray very efficient and makes it a lot easier to hop on and off as well.

I rode on OC before I ordered my UP and they were quite rough in even light chop. I'm an older guy and I guess my back would have screamed after a longer ride on a flat bottom tender. :-/

I ordered mine on the US East Coast and OC would have been significant more expensive with a longer lead time to get it delivered.

For me UP Boats was the best 'bang for the buck'. But of course everyone has different preferences. :-)
thesauvage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2024, 11:57   #97

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
I really don't know why cat tenders aren't more popular. Light weight, can take a large load, very efficient and are buttery smooth through chop. Really really good expedition tenders.

Which one specifically are you referring to?
Old 12-06-2024, 12:29   #98

https://www.capecatamarans.com
https://www.instagram.com/capecatamarans/

Very cool boat!
Old 12-06-2024, 12:34   #99

There's also an Aussie one that's optimised for efficiency with low power at lower speeds. I can't remember the exact numbers, but something like 10 knots w 3HP. Super simple, but not fancy.

The cape cat is a damn nice bit of gear. All carbon, very light, very well built and will out perform pretty much anything else on the market.
Old 12-06-2024, 14:22   #100

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMurph View Post
Very cool indeed, now if it would be avaliable with a sailing rig too, that would be great.
Old 13-06-2024, 03:33   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesauvage View Post
The hull of my UP Boats has a slight V shape throughout the entire length of the hull.

Actually the rounder bow shape deflects spray very efficient and makes it a lot easier to hop on and off as well.

I rode on OC before I ordered my UP and they were quite rough in even light chop. I'm an older guy and I guess my back would have screamed after a longer ride on a flat bottom tender. :-/

I ordered mine on the US East Coast and OC would have been significant more expensive with a longer lead time to get it delivered.

For me UP Boats was the best 'bang for the buck'. But of course everyone has different preferences. :-)
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder!
I saw one of the UP tenders this winter in Antigua. First impressions were its big and ugly.
I can't ever imagine owning something like that.
Wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2024, 05:46   #102

Surprised actually at how heavy, relatively, the cat tenders on the market are. Given that a fully-rigged foiling 18 foot A-class catamaran comes in at 53kg:

https://dnaperformancesailing.com/ou...ing-catamaran/

Maybe I should get Mischa Heemskerk to build a tender
Leadfree is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tender