Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2019, 14:50   #16

Re: Odd question - where are your interior light switches?

My Wife and I have a 1983 C&C Landfall Center Cockpit. The switches for the recessed lights in the ceiling are just as you come down the companionway, the rest of them are on the light fixtures themselves. This is super handy when coming home in the dark. Best of luck with your refit.
Alphadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 04:41   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by moctrams View Post
This is how I did it for Gabbiano.
Most double throw toggle switches, I’m familiar with, close the contacts on the opposite end of the switch, from the toggle position.
Toggle “Up”, centre & bottom terminals “On” (closed).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 08:59   #18

Boat: Hermannson 44ft cutter

Just bought a batch of red LED lights for night use. I like the switches by the lights for white lights with a master at the breaker panel. All my white lights are wired that way, minimizing power draw from un-needed lights. Will wire the red ones the same way but may replace some of the switches with SPDT switches to reduce the clutter, letting me use light of choice with everything single switch.
Ravenwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 14:13   #19

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
There is no longer a requirement to hardwire switches with the wireless versions available.

For example, Marinebeam.com has several wireless switch options. I've been considering this one for an impending lighting refit in the master cabin— which will require multiple switch locations for convenience...

My older boat has switches installed just inside cabin doors- not unlike a typical house.

Of course, switches on individual lights can be used instead...

Best wishes with your project.

Cheers! Bill
For $180 I feel like that's a bit expensive. I do like the idea of wireless switches but for that rate I can't justify the purchase.

I'll have to look around and see if I can find a decent priced one(maybe direct from China).
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 15:15   #20

When I installed additional galley and saloon overhead lights, I had to use wire covers 'cuz there just weren't ANY lights there to begin with. I put the I/O toggle switches in a black plastic plate made from some scrap from Tap Plastic and located them within reach of the galley. The plate was on and wires run in a teak chase that was there to hide a water tank vent line. Any place that is convenient should do. I understand the "entering room just like a house" concept, but don't let that you get too involved if it means a lot more work. I don't think our boats are all that big to make a difference. Even for entering the boat - if it's dark out you have a flashlight, or you're in a marina that'll shed enough light on the subject.
Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 17:40   #21

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
When I installed additional galley and saloon overhead lights, I had to use wire covers 'cuz there just weren't ANY lights there to begin with. I put the I/O toggle switches in a black plastic plate made from some scrap from Tap Plastic and located them within reach of the galley. The plate was on and wires run in a teak chase that was there to hide a water tank vent line. Any place that is convenient should do. I understand the "entering room just like a house" concept, but don't let that you get too involved if it means a lot more work. I don't think our boats are all that big to make a difference. Even for entering the boat - if it's dark out you have a flashlight, or you're in a marina that'll shed enough light on the subject.
Good luck.
Thanks Stu. Much appreciated. I've got enough work ahead of me, I don't need to create more by having "in a house feeling".

I'm thinking I'll place a switch relatively close(maybe in headliner) near the set of lights wherever that is. Keeps things simple, relatively easy to wire and not space consuming
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 22:22   #22

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It’s also a question of practicalities. I have a good 7’ headroom in the saloon and main cabin, which sounds great but the white/red dimmable lights in the headlining are of little use to my 4’10” wife who can’t reach a single one
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior