Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2015, 11:44   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Oh joy - removing the head/holding tank/hoses this weekend

We had a composting head on our Bristol 24 and we knew when we were looking for the next boat that we would be reinstalling it. We got lucky with the B24, in that the holding tank hadn't been used (nor the hoses in ages) so removing everything was a painless process.

We brought our Bristol 29.9 home a few weekends ago, and our first order of business this weekend is to take care of the head situation. We aren't going to be as lucky this time. The hoses are permeated, and I'm sure the scent will only get worse as we remove everything. God forbid the tank hasn't been emptied (although the yard claimed they did it before we picked her up - I'm skeptical).

We have our tyvek suits, goggles, gloves, respirator, and shoe covers. We also have lots of duct tape and rags, and peat moss if necessary to throw in the holding tank. We're bringing the heat gun if we can't get the hoses off, but we'll cut them off if we have to since we're going to glass over the unused thruhulls.

Anything we're forgetting (or helpful suggestions) would be appreciated. In the meantime, I'm trying to stay focused on the scent-free reward when this rite of passage is finished.
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 13:48   #2

Re: Oh joy - removing the head/holding tank/hoses this weekend

Have a handful of industrial trash bags ready. Make a clear path from removal area to up deck or off of boat as possible(fireman line). Since your removing it completely would just cut the hoses. It's not fun to be down in a hole wrasslin a poop hose working up a sweat(which makes everything harder to handle).

You are going to glass over the thru hull? I guess you can do that if its plastic.. I would just remove it.
DeepInIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 14:13   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Really... Its not that bad.. I just did both my hoses last week. Both sides were heavily permeated.

I didn't wear no stinking tyvek suit. Damn I didn't even wear gloves. I just pumped a bunch of fresh water through the system and then removed the hoses. My hoses were calcified to about 1/2 holes. The smell wasn't even that bad, even in the +42 temperature I was working in.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 14:29   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

A bag of kitty litter, a little tub of Vicks (under the nose), and a large bottle of Dettol in case the worst happens.

A generous quantity of suitable refreshment for the wake once THE THING is laid to rest.
Old 14-08-2015, 14:39   #5

Boat: Sabre 28

Get a couple of cans of the expanding spray foam insulation from Home Depot. When you remove an end of the hose stuff a rag down into the hose and then plug it with the spray foam and let it harden. This helps contain the mess/smell somewhat.

Shawn
Shawn67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 14:58   #6

Boat: Vancouver 27

A little moral support from this corner of the interweb. I was so excited to get rid of all that sh!t that I hardly remember the pains involved
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:20   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

I took the opposite approach and just wore a pair of shorts. Actually the loo and pipes weren't too bad and blocked mainly with a concrete substance. Having a shower head in the heads was useful to hose everything down afterwards.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 15:38   #8

Boat: Shopping

Scuba tank and mask?
Cottontop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:35   #9

Boat: Catalina 42 MKII

If you are worried about residual in the hose, put a disposable diaper underneath as you remove it... adult size if you are really worried.

Respirators and tyvek can get too damn hot but a couple of strategically placed fans to keep fresh air blowing past you and the smell moving away from you and out of the boat can help.

Keep hand sanitizer and antibiotic cream handy.
Geoff54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 16:42   #10

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I second the suggestion of pumping through a lot of fresh water and pumping out, as well as rinsing the tank itself with fresh water. It would have to be a real emergency for me to do any work on the head without going through this ritual. And yes, I realize that the hose empties into the top of the tank, and nothing will come back out, but the pump out part makes me happy.

If I ever find a composting toilet that will fit in the space, and still allow access to the space under the sink...
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2015, 18:21   #11

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Excellent suggestions, everyone. Thank you! Mr. Cthoops is taking this in stride, and now that I've had a few weeks to mentally prepare I'm ready to go!

We'll definitely bring trash bags and a can of Great Stuff is a great idea. Fans and extension cords are already in the car.

Bring it!
Cthoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 04:43   #12

I just removed the holding tank and hoses our Catalina 30 after installing a C-Head. Stop by Home Depot and pick up a bucket head shop vac that fits a drywall bucket. That and nitrl gloves, lots of paper towels, 12v mini sawzall to cut hoses. To actually get the tank out I had to cut out the glassed in panels holding the tank in. I had the whole thing out, hoses and all, in about two hours.
rbjenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 04:55   #13
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Really not a bad job.

My story, including a summary review of the many hose types I used (it was for a mag article).
Sail Delmarva: The Easy Button

1. Flush with water. Obviously. IF the tank is not EM, that's what shop vacs are for (I'm assuming a pump out station is not accessible--if it is, pump out, refill a few inches and repeat several times).
  2. Flush the hoses a lot. They will be clean enough.
  3. Rubber palm gloves really help grip hoses.
  4. Use a big fan, more for cooling than odor. This is often overlooked and really helps.
A little mess is not a big deal. It won't melt your skin. People clean septic tanks and work in sewage treatment plants, and they wouldn't be gearing up for this, just working as clean as practical... and then washing.

It's just poop.
Old 15-08-2015, 05:19   #14

Boat: Mariner 36

Probably won't help you if you're doing it soon, but a piece of info for others considering.

In cold climates wait until winter.

My old system was cut out in the dead of winter. Zero antifreeze flushed through at the fall haulout.
Anything left in tank and hoses was frozen solid. Not one single drop of anything hit the decks or me.
Installing new hoses would be impossible in the cold, too rigid, so installation occurred in Spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
mariner36bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 05:24   #15

Boat: Monk 36

Sounds like you are the hard. A yard near here flushes tanks/hoses with bleach water (capturing the discharge) before disconnecting everything.

That's my plan when I replace the stinking hose.

BTW, Shields makes a sanitation hose called Poly X that is pretty slick and I believe guaranteed for life to not stink. It's TPF lined, more flexible than the white stuff, wire inside to meet ABYC and expensive but I didn't want to deal with this ever again. I bought it from WM.
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, holding tank