Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-08-2014, 00:12   #61

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: OK to go to Cuba if you are a US Citizen?

I forgot another important method - a method that actually solves several problems, including how to maintain health care as a cruiser and the problem of uncertain retirement in the United States.

That is to become Canadian. Unlimited healthcare for life anywhere in the world, freedom of unlimited travel to Cuba, and a stable sensible economy.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't emigrate today.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 01:35   #62

Boat: currently a power boat :(

Cuba? Free health care? Not sure why you are still an American. I think those 2 have been in play for quite some time

As far as being a US citizen and visiting Cuba, I don"t see any issues. Post pics please!!! We need to find more areas to visit, the world is too small
Old 22-08-2014, 03:43   #63

Boat: Nonsuch U30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I forgot another important method - a method that actually solves several problems, including how to maintain health care as a cruiser and the problem of uncertain retirement in the United States.

That is to become Canadian. Unlimited healthcare for life anywhere in the world, freedom of unlimited travel to Cuba, and a stable sensible economy.

Someone please tell me why I shouldn't emigrate today.
Why do so many Canadians have to go home in the middle of a vacation to get cared for? I see this all the time in Florida.
Sdwcheney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 05:13   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by svlamorocha View Post
Feel free to break those rules but do not be confused about it.
I would add... And don't complain if you happen to be the one in a million who gets caught, fined, your boat impounded, or whatever. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 07:12   #65
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I would add... And don't complain if you happen to be the one in a million who gets caught, fined, your boat impounded, or whatever. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:42   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK, I think it may have been addressed, but how do you handle the passport stamp?
I have two Passports, one for travel into and out of certain countries and one for travel into other countries, but everywhere I've been except once I've gotten a stamp.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:47   #67

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK, I think it may have been addressed, but how do you handle the passport stamp?
I have two Passports, one for travel into and out of certain countries and one for travel into other countries, but everywhere I've been except once I've gotten a stamp.
As an American, you have to beg the Cuban officials if you want a stamp. Even then, they prefer to put a slip of paper in your passport and stamp that.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:51   #68
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Art-
"Someone please tell me why I shouldn't emigrate today. "
If you are not gainfully employed, with a job waiting in Canada, and a college education or more, Canada probably won't let you in. Yes, they have a sample questionnaire online someplace, if you can't score enough points, you can't emigrate in. Much the same as the policy in most nations.
If you're claiming persecution, or you have a sufficiently large amount of cash to be spent, you can also get in that way. Again, the same as most nations. No news there.
If the grass is greener, by all means go. If they'll let you. Just remember, that decision tends to be one-way, like it or not.

a64-
The Cubans have no passport stamp problem. Like many other nations, they understand the concept of "wink wink nudge nudge" and they'll slip a piece of blank paper into your passport, and stamp that instead. If you should lose the paper...that's not their problem, is it?
Heck, I once had a FRENCH border guard get infuriated, slam his window closed, and refuse to stamp my entry into France. It took me years to figure out I'd probably embarrassed the poor guy, I'm sure they just couldn't afford to issue ink pads at the time.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:57   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhand View Post
As an American, you have to beg the Cuban officials if you want a stamp. Even then, they prefer to put a slip of paper in your passport and stamp that.
Exactly. The restrictions are all on the US side. The Cubans are glad to see Americans (or maybe glad to see our dollars) and avoid putting stamps in the passport so the visitors are less likely to get in trouble when they return home.

I wonder how all these US travelers that visit Cuba handle it when they return home and arrive at the immigration desk at the airport. One of the questions I am always asked is where I have been, all the countries I visited. Do they confirm they have visited Cuba and risk getting in trouble? Do they lie and not mention Cuba? If so, that in itself is another violation.
Old 22-08-2014, 10:27   #70

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Exactly. The restrictions are all on the US side. The Cubans are glad to see Americans (or maybe glad to see our dollars) and avoid putting stamps in the passport so the visitors are less likely to get in trouble when they return home.

I wonder how all these US travelers that visit Cuba handle it when they return home and arrive at the immigration desk at the airport. One of the questions I am always asked is where I have been, all the countries I visited. Do they confirm they have visited Cuba and risk getting in trouble? Do they lie and not mention Cuba? If so, that in itself is another violation.
Evidently, I just look sweet and innocent - the only thing I have ever been asked is if I visited any farms while out of the country.
Greenhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:29   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Skye View Post
Cuba? Free health care?
Pssh "free". Nothing's free except for air.
Deaf Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:25   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Evidently, I just look sweet and innocent - the only thing I have ever been asked is if I visited any farms while out of the country.
While I on the other hand, must look like a highly suspicious character.

I was always amazed that the fewest questions and least scrutiny I have ever experienced coming back to the US was when I flew to Miami from Colombia. I was prepared to have everything I owned disassembled and examined with a microscope. Instead it was welcome home, stamp in the passport and walk on through.
Old 22-08-2014, 11:36   #73

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Art-
"Someone please tell me why I shouldn't emigrate today. "
If you are not gainfully employed, with a job waiting in Canada, and a college education or more, Canada probably won't let you in. Yes, they have a sample questionnaire online someplace, if you can't score enough points, you can't emigrate in. Much the same as the policy in most nations.
If you're claiming persecution, or you have a sufficiently large amount of cash to be spent, you can also get in that way. Again, the same as most nations. No news there.
If the grass is greener, by all means go. If they'll let you. Just remember, that decision tends to be one-way, like it or not.
I'm very well employed, and am constantly working with similarly employed canadians here in the U.S. That's why I think now must be the ideal time. I could very easily qualify as I have a good job, could easily obtain employment in Canada, and am "only" 48 years old right now.

I have to be well employed, as I currently spend about $25,000 a year in health care costs for my family. It is not a choice for me.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 11:49   #74

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Yes, they made a joke of it when I was there...pretending they were going to stamp my passport. I was there legally so wanted them to, but they did not (in retrospect, the better option).

I have non-USA friends who've traveled to Cuba, perfectly legal for them, and then been hassled when traveling to the USA.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 12:41   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I'm very well employed, and am constantly working with similarly employed canadians here in the U.S. That's why I think now must be the ideal time. I could very easily qualify as I have a good job, could easily obtain employment in Canada, and am "only" 48 years old right now.

I have to be well employed, as I currently spend about $25,000 a year in health care costs for my family. It is not a choice for me.
There are some professions and trades which give you an easy entry into Canada, but others are a no go. If your a doctor, B pressure welder or nurse, no problem.

If your an accountant, lawyer, or a consultant of some sort, your not getting in to work except through the normal immigration process.

To the other poster who wondered why Canadians go back to Canada for treatment, most of our insurance we buy when we come to the States essentially only covers us to the extent that we get stabilized, and then it medivacs us back. I pay about $800/6 months for that.

I can't even imagine paying $25,000 for medical insurance! We pay nothing in our province, I have my choice of doctors (no HMO), and have never ever had to wait for needed procedures, as well as having a lot of non-critical issues dealt with in a timely manner.

It pains me to see what my American friends have to go through.

Tags
Cuba