Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2007, 09:26   #1

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34
Older sailors

I am 66 and my wife is 63. We are both in good health and condition. Last year we sailed our Pacific Seacraft 34 from Stuart, Florida, thru the Bahamas to the Turks and Caicos; some day sailing but a few one or two day overnight legs. How many older sailors are there out there? How long can we expect to continue sailing?
Phil Littman
plittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:48   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I hear of some out there to be in their 80's. But I would say for as long as you like!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 09:51   #3

Location: Currently, cruise is over and back in Solomons MD, USA
Boat: Voyage/Maxim 380 - Makai
Send a message via Skype™ to sv_makai
Old is a state of mind

While we were out cruising I was suprised at the number of older sailors cruising. We met many over 70 and few over 80. One gentleman sailor we met in Venezuela in his 80's was looking for a boat to replace the one he lost in Huricane Ivan.

It appears that cruising probably helps with being older as it can be a moe active, not necessarily harder, but more active life style. Almost all we met seemed to thrive out there.
sv_makai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 10:48   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by plittman
Last year we sailed our Pacific Seacraft 34 from Stuart, Florida, thru the Bahamas to the Turks and Caicos
wow that sounds like something I would like to do!! but i am a little younger than you. how did you manage your provisions in the PS 34 for this trip? and how long did the trip take? thanks for the info.

Old 04-04-2007, 14:41   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
How many older sailors are there out there? How long can we expect to continue sailing?
We just had a local sailor complete his second solo circumnavigation at age 90. It did take him 15 years to complete the second time, but I think he planned it that way I know several people in late 60's still doing long passages and others in their 80's still day sailing with an occasional overnight. Several neighbors now 70 switched to a trawler from a sailboat due to the strength requirements of handling lines and moving about on deck. That I see is very common and at least abother dozen in our yacht club fall into that category. Mobility seems to be the biggest problem people have.

You can expect to sail as long as you still enjoy it. Health of a spouse is probably the worst thing and is a common way to stop a long sailing career. I would sail until you can't and be glad you did that well. Hitching rides isn't as bad as staying home either.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007, 14:56   #6

Boat: Irwin 37 CC ketch 'Ta-Keel-Ah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais
Hitching rides isn't as bad as staying home either.
Yes I'm looking forward (hopefully FAR forward) to the days when I can get a break from the local "Wrinkle Village" and provide ballast for a friends' boat once in a while.

I can almost envision it now... almost envision...almost... - oops - started to nod off - didn't get my nap and milk and cookies today

BTW - How does one get a Rascal onto a sailboat?

In all seriousness - it's great that our senior sailors are still at it and hope to be one someday - More Power To Ya!
Old 04-04-2007, 15:31   #7

Boat: 2004 Manta 42 - Perseverance
Phil,

What is your definition of "older"? My husband and I are 64 and 59 respectively, and we don't plan on stopping until it's no longer fun. Granted, we are often the oldest folks in the anchorage, but we can keep up with the best of them for most things. We expect to be a whole lot older before we swallow the anchor!
Harriet is offline   Reply With Quote