Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 09:54   #61

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Re: OMG. What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
If you're the sort of trash who enjoy getting shoved in a massive floating cattle shed to get drunk, eat too much and generally cop off with the other trash on board then great. If not, then good on you for not polluting our sea and air, and forcing picturesque parts of the world to spend their little all on big concrete cruise ship facilities so the trash can waddle off, get hot and bored and waddle back on again. One of the main reasons I sail is to get away from this sort of stuff.

Not that I'm opinionated or anything...
DITTO....what a mess...!
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:04   #62

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

When I look at that ship the first thing that comes to mind is trash...not the passengers...what comes out of them...what is generated to feed, clothe, clean...

In a city there's a landfill, not that I am happy to fill those blindly, but at sea what are they doing with all the trash they generate?

If it's going into the sea then I want them off and back on land. I think the water level isn't rising from global warming...it's the trash stacking up at the bottom consuming the space.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:43   #63

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: OMG. What's the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by onefastdaddy View Post
When I look at that ship the first thing that comes to mind is trash...not the passengers...what comes out of them...what is generated to feed, clothe, clean...

In a city there's a landfill, not that I am happy to fill those blindly, but at sea what are they doing with all the trash they generate? ...
I know that you know this is a rhetorical question. Besides, they can't keep it onboard because that could breed bacteria and communicable diseases ... oh wait ...
It didn't even occur to me to wear a mask in the airplanes tho I do use those packaged wiping cloths but considering how bizarrely people dress in airports these days, why TF not? I'd just be another weird guy passing by.

I also wonder who all these folks are calling on their cell phones right to the second of wheels up and then wheels down? Do they really think we all think they are so super important that they can't be out of contact even for an hour or so? What B.S. What utter crap. Bet they don't do that up in first class.

Why do ugly fat people spend money on tatoos? Just when you think they couldn't get any more repulsive ... they do.

I hate flying. My best day flying was the day I soloed a Piper Cub. That was living!!!!! and nobody sneezed on me. But it's been a tailspin ever since.

I'm not kissing no dudes, Weavis, I don't care what you may have heard.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 10:50   #64
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

And what about MRSA?

And what about MDR-TB and XDR-TB!?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:05   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I know that you know this is a rhetorical question. Besides, they can't keep it onboard because that could breed bacteria and communicable diseases ... oh wait ...
It didn't even occur to me to wear a mask in the airplanes tho I do use those packaged wiping cloths but considering how bizarrely people dress in airports these days, why TF not? I'd just be another weird guy passing by.

I also wonder who all these folks are calling on their cell phones right to the second of wheels up and then wheels down? Do they really think we all think they are so super important that they can't be out of contact even for an hour or so? What B.S. What utter crap. Bet they don't do that up in first class.

Why do ugly fat people spend money on tatoos? Just when you think they couldn't get any more repulsive ... they do.

I hate flying. My best day flying was the day I soloed a Piper Cub. That was living!!!!! and nobody sneezed on me. But it's been a tailspin ever since.

I'm not kissing no dudes, Weavis, I don't care what you may have heard.
You guys need to calm the heck down.
Good immune systems can combat 90% of the crap life throws at you

And if yer dying of MERs. kissing a dude or too wont be remembered except by me.. and I will think of you with respect as someone who took one for the team...

sheesh! so selfish
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:18   #66

Boat: Various

Quote:

In a city there's a landfill, not that I am happy to fill those blindly, but at sea what are they doing with all the trash they generate?

If it's going into the sea then I want them off and back on land. I think the water level isn't rising from global warming...it's the trash stacking up at the bottom consuming the space.
And the days the one group had to spend on the boat with trash and human waste everywhere. More days than necessary because the cruise line chose not to take them to the nearest port, but the one cheapest for them. Just the trash and no escape from it.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:25   #67

Boat: Various

Some are getting quite intense it seems. I do want to make it clear, we have absolutely no qualms with anyone who enjoys cruises. I don't have problems with someone who likes caviar either but to me it's awful tasting fish eggs. That's the point. Cruising doesn't appeal to us as something we wish to do. But many others love it.

And to me personally, I admit to a fear of potential conditions on a cruise liner that is greater than justified by the facts. I think it's just really the inability to get away if conditions deteriorate. I'm sure if I actually went my wife would find a way to take my mind off of any obsession with it. She does have that ability.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:47   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You guys need to calm the heck down.
Good immune systems can combat 90% of the crap life throws at you
Really, 90% of life's crap? Not, say 89% or 93%?

Look, if you can find a peer-reviewed study which proves that a healthy immune system will really repel 90% of all known crap then I promise to actually come round to your house and give you a free carrot. No joke, I will fly half way round the world to deliver this carrot. Truly. I'm really willing to drop everything. Just link me the study...

This is why I choose not to believe internet statistics unless I make them up myself.
europaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:53   #69

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006

When I posted what I did I keep open the hope someone would post that those ships are giant examples of recycling.
We are still clinging to our ancient technologies with a death grip. We are buying a sailboat to sail. It has two motors (cat) that I intend to try and use as little as possible by learning to sail and if there is no wind I'll gladly stop and hang out as long as there is no weather we have to avoid.
I did see a neat video where at the end they told me the secret how without any violence at all we could almost overnight radically change everything...can you guess what that was? It was so incredibly obvious and simple and something I try now to do. If only enough others would follow.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:56   #70
cruiser

Quote:
I did see a neat video where at the end they told me the secret how without any violence at all we could almost overnight radically change everything...can you guess what that was? It was so incredibly obvious and simple and something I try now to do. If only enough others would follow.
Ummm lemme guess:

Send SaltyMonkey 700,000 US dollars so he can buy a catamaran.
Old 21-05-2014, 12:02   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
Ummm lemme guess:

Send SaltyMonkey 700,000 US dollars so he can buy a catamaran.
Salty, please, go small, go simple, go now... or some day you'll realise you're a sad old monkey still stuck on shore wondering what the hell happened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MONKEYGLASSES.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	81693  
Old 21-05-2014, 12:06   #72
cruiser

That is awesome. How did you do that?
Old 21-05-2014, 12:08   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
That is awesome. How did you do that?
I paint quickly!
Old 21-05-2014, 12:31   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Really, 90% of life's crap? Not, say 89% or 93%?

Look, if you can find a peer-reviewed study which proves that a healthy immune system will really repel 90% of all known crap then I promise to actually come round to your house and give you a free carrot. No joke, I will fly half way round the world to deliver this carrot. Truly. I'm really willing to drop everything. Just link me the study...

This is why I choose not to believe internet statistics unless I make them up myself.
Firestein GS. Mechanisms of inflammation and tissue repair. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2011:chap 47.
Goronzy JJ, Weyand CM. The innate and adaptive immune systems. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier;2011:chap 44. David C. Dugdale, III, MD, Professor of Medicine, Division of General Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of Washington School of Medicine; and Stuart I. Henochowicz, MD, FACP, Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, Division of Allergy, Immunology, and Rheumatology, Georgetown University Medical School. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.
weavis. M.D. dHom Med. D.O. (I,H.M. traumacare)

Oh and its usually in the 10% that will kill you
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 12:32   #75
cruiser

Yeah BABY SHOW ME THE MONEY HAHAAH!!@! WOOOHAH!