Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2010, 14:02   #1

Boat: Acapulco 40' - Custom Built - Mariko
Onboard Fireplace - Diesel vs Propane . . . or ?

We are considerating installing a bulkhead fireplace. Have check on all kinds. What is your experience (if any), which is the best regarding cost and maintenance? We'd like the pros & cons of all. Thanks in advance.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds. Mark Twain
Dmarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 14:13   #2

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore
Spent two winters aboard in Toronto. Very cold but our Newport Diesel heater made all the difference. Thing is just so safe and warm and looks great too!. Tapped into our diesel tanks with it's own pump and no problem. Even when not needed my wife said put it on because it makes it cosy inside.
winterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 15:13   #3

Boat: Pearson 281
I've had one boat with a woodburning "Cole Stove" that was mounted in a little corner spot just for the purpose and it saw me through two winters quite nicely.
I now own a Shipmate woodburner (yes, they are back in business) that I have to install at some point this month.

UPSIDE:

Dry heat... can't say it enough: good dry heat that kicks ass on mildew and soggy clothes. I think deisel will give that tpo an nextent but I hear that propane not so dry. Others here will know. My installation will include a bulkhead opening and computer fan so that the quarter berth cum electronics bay will stay nice and dry.

Cozy and romantic...

Fuel anywhere there is driftwood or? I have just found out there there are rstill places on the west coast to get good hard anthricite coal...

DOWN SIDE

VERY BE CAREFUL!!! exacting citing and flue tolerances as well as really effective tie down options

Storing dry fuel

Stove and stovepipe maintenance

Restrictive municipal codes regarding the burning of "hearth fires"

I love a wood burner on a boat and in spite of the sometimes eyebrow raising issue of compatibility wouldn't be without.

HAl Roth's solution was a Diesel cookstove for cooking and heat along with one of those small gimballed burners for quick tea and soup jobs.

Check out his book After 50,000 Miles (precurser to his How to Sail Around the World... much better title for the latter!)

Also search out Shipmate Stove Company... different styling but just as well made as the Navigators at an easier price.
Butler is offline   Reply With Quote