Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2020, 21:15   #16

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3
Re: one year live aboard

We did the Bahamas - BVI run a couple of years ago - in February.

Not good.

We bucked the Christmas winds the entire way (20-25knots right on the nose). After 8 days we bailed out and put into San Juan where we were weathered in for another week.

So mid-winter is not the time to go. Otherwise, go across the Bahamas the the Turks and then run down to BVI

Option 2 - cuba, DR, PR then BVI

You seem to have had some sailing experience - do not be afraid of overnights or passages - they are a lot of fun

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 21:27   #17

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I don’t believe he meant buying a boat for 30k but willing to take a 30k hit on the resale.
Old 05-11-2020, 06:22   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.T.Gross View Post
"

I found a boat in Puerto Rico and the broker was in BVI. No issue with transferring deposit, and when deal fell through my full deposit was quickly returned. Deal falling through had no bearing on location of boat or broker. Seller had not left items stated in listing, right down to the VHF. There are some tax advantages by buying down there, it's something to consider. I would do a deal down there again, other than the seller, it was pretty painless.
Very good to know. I will consider that. I thought I would be put off trying to facilitate a large financial transaction in a foreign country.
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 06:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
I don’t believe he meant buying a boat for 30k but willing to take a 30k hit on the resale.

yes: you have it correct. taking a 30 to 40K loss on the boat would be expected.

thanks everyone for the advice so far.
Old 16-11-2020, 07:05   #20

Boat: 2005 Hylas 54

We took a two year sailing sabbatical in the Caribbean.
Buy not rent, then you can do any upgrades that make sense to you without giving to the owner. Plus the inevitable repairs get done on your time frame.
We bough in Florida, spent 6 weeks outfitting and took off. Sold the boat two years later in Costa Rica, and delivered to San Francisco for the new owner. We sold it for slightly more than paid. Maintenance was ~ 10% of the purchase price.
One year is IMHO not enough. Go for two. As time is more important than money to you, budget more for marina's and professional repairs.
Tday01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 07:20   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
It is a hard slog from Florida to the USVI or the BVI. Better to buy your boat there as there are plenty of people who have finished cruising there and you will probably get a better deal than in the US. There are also yacht brokers in St. Martin and the French islands.
Yep- looking at a chart one would assume it’s a short hike from FL to the Caribbean, however the currents & wind are not having it & require you to punch East off shore for a ways, across the jet stream, prior to heading south. First stop Bahamas, then open ocean, then south.

Shop the far islands like Grenada & ABC’s at the end of winter for an outfitted cruiser- less $ than the same vessel on the mainland too. If you can’t get south, plenty of vessels arive from the islands to the mainland on the east coast in late Spring, equipped for cruising. I picked up my Catalina 42 post cruise and have been a full time live aboard for over 2 years.
Sofa King Fishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:17   #22

Boat: Oyster 46

Sailing South from Florida involves the thorny path through the Bahamas (against the wind and currents). Once you tire of that you will be in the Virgin Islands (against the wind and currents again). An area of which you are already familiar. So the beginning part of a Southbound from Florida trip does not sound all that great.

But buying a boat in Granada, St. Lucia or anywhere "down there" allows you to get in early on the Hurricane Season to get things organized (July/August). Many boats are stored "down there" because hurricanes seldom go that far South. There for you will probably find more boats, and certainly would be more safe getting a jump on the hurricane season to shop for, and ready your boat.

Generally the wind and waves are better sailing North from the Southern Caribbean sailing South from Florida.

Generally weekly and monthly dock rates are lower than daily.

Sailing from "down there" in December and arriving in Florida mid-June is a very realistic timetable. A round trip from Florida would be lots more work, more expensive and against the wind and waves.

There are boats stored "down there" for the hurricane season but for what ever reason "the plans have changed" and are now for sale.

Ex-charter boats should not be overlooked as an option. Generally they are in running condition, as their reliability is part of the vacation package. Also, they tend to be "name brands" and popular models that are easier to sell.

In-any-case, you will prefer sailing Northward vs Southward and a oneway trip is better than a round trip. (against the wind and currents) and then returning the boat to Florida.

I am a big fan of being able to see (keep watch) from inside the boat. A deck salon or pilot house keeps me out of the sun and the autopilot is doing the steering. Bring some pajamas to wear. They are the uniform of the Caribbean Sailor. (or get friendly with a dermatologist)
boatingisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 08:49   #23

Thank you all for the replies.

I agree with the ease of sailing North up the Caribbean chain rather south. I have also considered just throwing in the whole enchilada and doing the ARC in 2023. I will keep considering the idea of getting a boat in the southern Caribbean.
Thanks
Old 16-11-2020, 09:28   #24

Recently joined Cruisers Forum, so please be gentle with me.

I was 9 years old when my folks threw me into a Pram. By 16 I was sailing small Cat's, and had salvaged my 1st 13' Dory. I'm an avid SCUBA diver (over 1000 hrs logged), and most importnatly... I need 2 things in life... the water and the wind... just like sailboats.

Having some severe underlying immunity issues (COVID-19 will absolutely kill me), and being a water baby having grown up and lived in S Florida all my life, I want to "get out of Dodge".

So what am I doing? I have begun my journey to finding the right type of vessel for me. I have always been more of a Function over Form kind of guy… so practicality is a major thing (as in Safety and comfort). I was told that there are two main types of major factor use in determining vessel type (Cat vs Mono hull)… they are:
  • where are/is the cruising going to be
  • what kind of keel/s do you want

Living in Florida, I figure that in planning this, that my initial 2 years will be in the Caribbean (Miami to the Bahamas and S. to Trini and Curacao... and back). Later heading off to the Western Caribbean, then off to Mauritius (French Polynesia) and onwards to the Med through the Red Sea and the Suez. Eventually returing to the USA. So, we're talking a few Ocean Crossings.

I have not heard of many Cat’s than can safely make that trip and those ocean crossings.. with the exception of (perhaps) the Garcia ExploCat. Because I expect serious waves in crossings, I’m looking at a 75’ aluminum alloy monohull, which I’ll have rerigged to solo sailing… even though there will be just 2 of us… a chain is only as strong as its weakest link.. so if someone gets hurt, then it’s solo sailing vs short handed sailing. So... making the Great Loop, but on steroids. I'm not the first, and won't be the last.

Clearly, I plan on owning the boat for longer than just the typical 5 years, and I’m open to suggestions, thoughts and comments. Especially since Metal Hulls are quite a bit slower and more expensive than fiberglass ones. I prefer something in excess of 50' regardless of Hull type, if even just to more easily make long passages in rough seas. On the hook, there are stabalizers and sea anchors that can be used, and so rocking is probalby going to be neglible. Living space for 2 people (or 4 when making the longer passages, I'll bring on additioal crew) I don't see an issue... but I defer to your collective experiences for thoughs and comments.

Thanks in advance, and tight lines, full sails, and calm seas, to you all.
Beach Panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 09:29   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies.
First off, my sailing experience is actually somewhat limited. I usually do one bareboat charter a year for two weeks. I have done the BVI too many times, but I have also done Mallorca, St Maartin, Exuma etc.
In reality, I would be looking to do a long season in the Carib. Obviously I do not plan to be there for hurricane season, which means to me taking delivery of a boat in October in Florida and returning it for the Fourth of July.
From a mechanical point of view, I am NOT a diesel mechanic. I am however decently adept at just fixing things. I have a basic knowledge of electrical systems and yes I appreciate the comment that if only living on a boat for 9 months then forget adding a bunch of solar and maybe just motor a bit more.
I have looked into charter renting but realistically, renting a charter boat at the weekly rate would be needlessly expensive.
If I was to get a mono hull, I would be looking in the 40 to 50 ft range. if I go for a Cat: then 40 to44 ft will be fine. Loosing 30K will not be the end of the world for me and likely the cost of doing business.
As a question: I know that sailing to USVI from Florida is a bit of a slog but I assume it probably isn't toooooo bad. thoughts on that?
About buying a boat in the BVI: I have thought of trying that. It would save the hassle of sailing there. However!!!, I likely would find the process easier in the US. flying from Seattle to see a boat in Florida is easier. escrow accounts would likely be easier as well.
Any other thoughts?
I guess my only other idea for this was to buy a Moorings boat and put it in the fleet. I would then use the boat in the off season, when the points go farther and do it for several years in a row. I would Sell the boat after the five years. I would likely lose more than 30K but would be able to sail 2-3 months for probably four years.

Any other thoughts appreciated.
don
That is an idea worth looking into. See if Mooring, or DYC, or et al, would sell you a new boat and let you use it for the first 6 months then put into Guaranteed Income program from there. They probably would reduce your benefits or payout if they would even consider it. Obviously, having whatever the cost of the boat tied up for a period of time. I think Moorings and DYC let you pull your boat out of their Guaranteed Income Programs with notice.

There are some smaller boat dealers that also have charter operations. You could buy a boat(of a brand they represent) from the above type of boat dealer, use the boat for 6 months and put into charter while you are trying to sell it, until it sells you could use it when it is not chartered. I think the above type of dealer would like this type of arrangement because they could use your boat to take potential buyers on test sails. With luck the charter income would cover the expenses of storing, maintaining the boat until it sold and you would get some "free" sailing in the weeks the boat was not chartered.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:29   #26

Boat: Nord West 370 Coupe

You will find a way.

We were liveaboard for two years. With some smart buying and fitting out we lost no money on the actual boat.

There are some long term hire options too, there was an outfit in France offering Catana catamarans for 12 month Atlantic Loop which would be interesting. iirc around 30,000 euro. Last time I chartered in French Polynesia the charter company was prepping a boat for a long term hire to the Tuamotus, so it is definitely possible.

Good Luck !
Adornan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 10:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingisbetter View Post
Sailing South from Florida involves the thorny path through the Bahamas (against the wind and currents). Once you tire of that you will be in the Virgin Islands (against the wind and currents again). An area of which you are already familiar. So the beginning part of a Southbound from Florida trip does not sound all that great.

But buying a boat in Granada, St. Lucia or anywhere "down there" allows you to get in early on the Hurricane Season to get things organized (July/August). Many boats are stored "down there" because hurricanes seldom go that far South. There for you will probably find more boats, and certainly would be more safe getting a jump on the hurricane season to shop for, and ready your boat.

Generally the wind and waves are better sailing North from the Southern Caribbean sailing South from Florida.

Generally weekly and monthly dock rates are lower than daily.

Sailing from "down there" in December and arriving in Florida mid-June is a very realistic timetable. A round trip from Florida would be lots more work, more expensive and against the wind and waves.

There are boats stored "down there" for the hurricane season but for what ever reason "the plans have changed" and are now for sale.

Ex-charter boats should not be overlooked as an option. Generally they are in running condition, as their reliability is part of the vacation package. Also, they tend to be "name brands" and popular models that are easier to sell.

In-any-case, you will prefer sailing Northward vs Southward and a oneway trip is better than a round trip. (against the wind and currents) and then returning the boat to Florida.

I am a big fan of being able to see (keep watch) from inside the boat. A deck salon or pilot house keeps me out of the sun and the autopilot is doing the steering. Bring some pajamas to wear. They are the uniform of the Caribbean Sailor. (or get friendly with a dermatologist)
I've done it twice, and to tell you the truth, until you mentioned it, I never thought of it as "against the wind and currents". Although I guess it is purported to be. It seemed like normal sailing to me and was mostly done in day trips all the way to Trinidad. Certainly not like bashing from Florida to the VI from what I hear from people who do it. Maybe a couple bumpy night rides the whole trip south.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 11:09   #28

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Agree an important factor is your seamanship knowledge, sailing and navigation experience, and ability to fix most of what needs fixing.

Also, using that knowledge in order to buy a decent used boat, and that is not all that easy. Owners will tell you that the vessel is in bristol condition, but with your inspection, and a very thorough and complete survey(s), you are likely to find that the owners ideas are not always factual.

I also like your idea of sailing the Caribbean and the tips you received on staying clear of hurricane season . Or coastal sailing , east or west.

For us, we have found that a well maintained 36 ft sailing vessel, is about right for the two of us, , but even then, for two people that can be too close of quarters depending on the personalities.

The vessel should be well built, good sails, stout standing rigging, and good running rigging, easy to reef down main, jib roller operative, and the vessel able to handle the weather and the ocean.

Halyards in good shape and running thru blocks that are not frozen. Correct number of anchors, good chain and rode condition and length. Ships compass that has been swung and operational. All pumps, bilge, head, water, fuel operational . Fuel tanks in good shape. Bilges clean . Hatches and portlights in good shape.

Also, have proper stowage for inventory, gear, and supplies. Plus decent sized water and fuel tanks. Plus all systems operational and in good shape. Marine heads, stoves, ice box, and or refer, engine and engine room, all thru hulls, intakes, exhaust, holding tanks, prop shaft and prop, sails, running rigging, standing rigging, electronics, and all electrical, including batteries, alternator, wiring, cabin lights, running lights, steaming light, anchor light. All electronics operating, nav, vhf, radio, etc.

You might even check, the hacthes for being water tight, and no leaks around the mast .

And include the hull and keel condition, etc. , fittings, cabin sole, topside deck, condition and length of dock lines, etc.

The list goes on and on. Point being, if you walk in blindly with your dreams raging, and little knowledge, your $ 30,000 experience might not turn out like you had planned and your costs much more than expected.

Will the boat be perfect, more than likely not , but you certainly can reduce your cost of refitting and having the vessel prepared for a year long cruise. There will always be something to fix, but doing your best to hold those costs down is a good plan.

Enjoy your adventures in paradise.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 11:38   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adornan View Post
You will find a way.

We were liveaboard for two years. With some smart buying and fitting out we lost no money on the actual boat.

There are some long term hire options too, there was an outfit in France offering Catana catamarans for 12 month Atlantic Loop which would be interesting. iirc around 30,000 euro. Last time I chartered in French Polynesia the charter company was prepping a boat for a long term hire to the Tuamotus, so it is definitely possible.

Good Luck !
This is an interesting Idea to pursue. thank you

don
Old 16-11-2020, 11:41   #30

Boat: 42' Steel schooner, 26' Gaff Ketch, 14' Catboat

So, some have said that renting is not an option. I actually am going to beg to differ on that. There are long-term charter operations out there, Seabbatical comes to mind, that list rates for 1-week or 1-month, but in reality, if you call them up and say you want to charter the boat for a year, you can negotiate a pretty good rate.
Think of it this way. The guy that has that boat in charter with the charter company is looking at maybe getting 12 to 14 weeks of charter a year if he is doing well. If you can meet that rate, then they would rather rent it to one person than need to rent it multiple times and have the cleaning and maintenance to do between each.
Will it cost you? Sure. But likely less than the loss you would take buying a boat and then selling it (remember the broker gets a 10% commission that you pay when you sell). Look into it. You might be pleasantly surprised and may be able to get way more boat than you would have been able to afford to out and out purchase.
Paul_Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote