Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 11:58   #31

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: one year live aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Carroll View Post
So, some have said that renting is not an option. I actually am going to beg to differ on that. There are long-term charter operations out there, Seabbatical comes to mind, that list rates for 1-week or 1-month, but in reality, if you call them up and say you want to charter the boat for a year, you can negotiate a pretty good rate.
Think of it this way. The guy that has that boat in charter with the charter company is looking at maybe getting 12 to 14 weeks of charter a year if he is doing well. If you can meet that rate, then they would rather rent it to one person than need to rent it multiple times and have the cleaning and maintenance to do between each.
Will it cost you? Sure. But likely less than the loss you would take buying a boat and then selling it (remember the broker gets a 10% commission that you pay when you sell). Look into it. You might be pleasantly surprised and may be able to get way more boat than you would have been able to afford to out and out purchase.
"SHOW ME THE MONEY!"... or at least your math.

Rough figures based on our own experience (and pretty worst-case at that):
Purchase $100,000
Upgrades $10,000
1 years maintenance $10,000
Selling costs: $10,000
misc: $5000
Selling price $90,000

Total cost for the year: $45,000

Optimistic estimates for chartering:
Seabattical: $8-$10M/month
Total cost for the year: $96,000

Sure the numbers are a bit specious, but we could never get the math to work out in favour of chartering no matter what we did.
Old 16-11-2020, 12:10   #32

I have never heard of Seabbatical, but based on their website it looks pretty good. Slightly older boats but very reasonable prices.

don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 12:49   #33

Boat: 42' Steel schooner, 26' Gaff Ketch, 14' Catboat

Macblaze, you missed the part were I said you have to negotiate the yearly rate.... Sure, 12 months at $8k/mo is $96K. But in reality they were only ever going to make maybe $32-36K on that boat the entire year. That is what you have to negotiate.
Also, I am not sure what size and type of boat you would buy for $100K, but I am pretty sure that the boats you can get a decent year long charter price under the $45K figure you came up with will be a bit nicer than a $100K boat.
Just my 2 cents.
Paul_Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 12:57   #34

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Carroll View Post
Macblaze, you missed the part were I said you have to negotiate the yearly rate. Sure, 12 months at $8k/mo is $96K. But in reality they were only ever going to make maybe $32-36K on that boat the entire year. That is what you have to negotiate. Also, I am not sure what size and type of boat you would buy for $100K, but I am pretty sure that the boats you can get a decent year long charter price under the $45K figure you came up with will be a bit nicer than a $100K boat.
Just my 2 cents.
Well I'd love to be proven wrong but I have never heard of anyone actually doing it for $32-36K. (and I did see that part — it just didn't occur to me to imagine a 50+% discount—but I suppose its at least possible) It's an oft asked question but no one has ever come back and said they made it happen using a charter scenario and plenty of people like me went the other way. So if someone does we would all love to hear about it and add it to the scenarios of possibilities.

The only other issue might be where you were allowed to take the charter boat. Not sure how liability would work on taking a boat from the Bahamas to Grenada or vice versa.
Old 16-11-2020, 20:41   #35

Hey Don, if you search and really get out there, you'll find some very nice turn key sail away ready boats, many people are putting time in on their boats now due to the wuflu and many are bristol. The long-term lease, while possible is costly and gone money. If you haven't already, start actively looking at boats and do your research, if you can take action when you find the right fit, you're well on your way to fulfilling your dream. Remember, you make your money not when you sell but when you buy and this is not to say you won't lose your shirt after a year but buy smart, always always hire a good surveyor and try to buy right. Life's short, go for it! fair winds...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 04:21   #36

Boat: Island Packet 38 Kairos

I negotiated with sunsail for 1 year charter. We had a jeanneau 49. We picked up the boat in BVI and sailed from Puerto Rico to the Grenada for a year. We could pull into any base and get charts and chart briefings, change linens, fuel up, and change oil or any needed maintenance on their dime. We got all new running rigging for the trip. It was awesome. They were helpful. We had 1 head go down they fixed it. Or Genoa ripped out they fixed it. We were the first long term charters. If a hurricane cane we had to get the boat to the nearest base. We didn’t have to get any extra insurance or anything. It was a great deal in my opinion. The price for 1 year was $98,000. We negotiated it down to $40,000. 5 years later I bought a Island Packet 38 and am still cruising. I got locked down in the Philippines but got out to taiwan now. If your plan is only sail a season then negotiate with a charter company. Trust me, you will blow 45,000 in a heartbeat getting the boat ready and maintenance and probably loose money selling. Fair Winds. Clint.
svkairos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 05:26   #37

Some folks we met in the 242 are selling up, boat is in the Caribe and ready to go. This is the blog link

Renee & John - 5KNOTS
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 05:55   #38
CLOD

Boat: none

Why is this being made so hard sounding? Go online and shop boats in the caribbean, buy one, cruise it for the year, sell it. It isn't any different than other boat buying where you pick a boat and pay a price based on its condition. The only difference for the OP question is if your only real goal is to sail the Caribbean you should just buy a boat already there and save the trouble of getting there.
Old 18-11-2020, 07:26   #39

Boat: Irwin 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You just need a good sound boat for the Caribe. Any fin keel production boat in good condition will work. Nothing over 6 ft draft helps.
Yes, buy and return to Florida. Make sure the basics are in good condition: Sails, engine, a GPS, ground tackle, etc. IF you want refrigeration you need a 3-4 battery bank and a good strong alternator (or other means of charging). For one year KISS and just engine charge.

Friends I met in the Caribe bought a big boat, sailed it for 3 years in the Caribe, did no upgrades other than a new mainsail, and returned to Florida and sold the boat for what they bought it for!
Cost of a 3 year cruise? One mainsail.

> Any fin keel production boat in good condition will work.

Curious why you need a fin keel? Assuming full keel draft is within reason, what's the disadvantage? I have a 4ft full keel with centerboard to 6ft.
SV Aquavit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2020, 19:51   #40

Boat: Columbia 34 MKII

I bought my Caribbean boat 8 years ago in the BVI and the purchase went very smoothly. As much as I have loved that part of my life, I’m moving on to Alaska and the Pacific for the next adventure. Voyager I, a CSY 44 that has been my home and chariot is for sale. She’s on her mooring in PR waiting on her next owner to step aboard and continue the adventure.
alaskacaptron is offline   Reply With Quote