Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2020, 06:21   #1

one year live aboard

I have always wanted to live aboard a sailboat and sail the carribean. I know this sounds like a hundred posts I have seen but the catch or question is, I only want to do it for about one year.
So My question is more about how do I get a really nice comfortable boat, that would be up to the task? I dont want to spend two years, getting a boat ready. I would be comfortable with losing a certain percentage of the boats value at the end of the year. Basically, I am asking how to find a sail away boat and then after one year, Sale the boat and walk away.
My first thought was to buy in Florida and return to Florida. But has anyone heard of renting a boat for a year?
don
dhenline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 06:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39
Re: one year live aboard

Hi, Don,
What is your sailing experience? Are you prepared to deal with the inevitable problems that arise during that year?
Do you have the budget to charter for a year? That keeps you off the hook for the initial material condition of the boat plus any routine items that come up during the year.
By "a year" do you really mean just a season, understanding that you might not want to be in the Caribbean during hurricane season?
Regards,
Joe R.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 07:43   #3

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

You really don't want to be in the Caribbean during hurricane season unless you are way down south, Trinidad, Tobago or perhaps Grenada. Other choices could be the ABC islands or Panama.

Depending on your financial situation, there are "sail away" boats for sale - pick one and go - but be ready for diverse repairs etc.

All the above is, of course, assuming you know how to sail and can repair most things on a boat.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:15   #4

Boat: Hunter 386

Renting is really a no-go. Many people have looked into it and there is no cost effective way of doing it. We ended up buying for our year's sabbatical because we figured we could lose $30,000 plus on the deal and still come out ahead over any rental type deal we could find. We also figured in any other kind of year-long holiday and in the end buying a boat wasn't the worse thing we could do. At the end of the year the market value looked pretty good for us losing only the value of investments/repairs we'd put into her—but we ended up keeping her anyway.

The other issue we found (that Carsten alluded to) is that there are few places in the world that don't have an off-season. It's why we decided in the end, to stay close to home Canada and have a home port for the winter. A bit of cool weather seemed more alluring than a hurricane :-)

I would say what you planning on means you need to have enough cash to buy a pretty solid boat. I wouldn't count on finding a $30,000 boat that will do what you want and still be able to most of your cash back. Also look at what's selling. We bought what was popular so we could sell it quick. Dock fees add up while you are waiting to sell.

Take a look at Youtube for Monday Never. I think their timeline was about a year. IIRC they managed to sell the boat for what they bought it for almost immediately. Good luck, it's a hell of an experience...
Old 04-11-2020, 08:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhenline View Post
I have always wanted to live aboard a sailboat and sail the carribean. I know this sounds like a hundred posts I have seen but the catch or question is, I only want to do it for about one year.
So My question is more about how do I get a really nice comfortable boat, that would be up to the task? I dont want to spend two years, getting a boat ready. I would be comfortable with losing a certain percentage of the boats value at the end of the year. Basically, I am asking how to find a sail away boat and then after one year, Sale the boat and walk away.
My first thought was to buy in Florida and return to Florida. But has anyone heard of renting a boat for a year?
don
You just need a good sound boat for the Caribe. Any fin keel production boat in good condition will work. Nothing over 6 ft draft helps.
Yes, buy and return to Florida. Make sure the basics are in good condition: Sails, engine, a GPS, ground tackle, etc. IF you want refrigeration you need a 3-4 battery bank and a good strong alternator (or other means of charging). For one year KISS and just engine charge.

Friends I met in the Caribe bought a big boat, sailed it for 3 years in the Caribe, did no upgrades other than a new mainsail, and returned to Florida and sold the boat for what they bought it for!
Cost of a 3 year cruise? One mainsail.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 08:39   #6

looking to do exactly same thing
dmytryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You just need a good sound boat for the Caribe. Any fin keel production boat in good condition will work. Nothing over 6 ft draft helps.
Yes, buy and return to Florida. Make sure the basics are in good condition: Sails, engine, a GPS, ground tackle, etc. IF you want refrigeration you need a 3-4 battery bank and a good strong alternator (or other means of charging). For one year KISS and just engine charge.

Friends I met in the Caribe bought a big boat, sailed it for 3 years in the Caribe, did no upgrades other than a new mainsail, and returned to Florida and sold the boat for what they bought it for!
Cost of a 3 year cruise? One mainsail.
I forgot to mention, all the way to Trinidad can be done with only an overnighter or three. FL>Bahamas>DR>PR > down island day trips > Grenada > Trini etc

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:12   #8

It is a hard slog from Florida to the USVI or the BVI. Better to buy your boat there as there are plenty of people who have finished cruising there and you will probably get a better deal than in the US. There are also yacht brokers in St. Martin and the French islands.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:32   #9

Boat: Hunter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
It is a hard slog from Florida to the USVI or the BVI. Better to buy your boat there as there are plenty of people who have finished cruising there and you will probably get a better deal than in the US. There are also yacht brokers in St. Martin and the French islands.
Its probably better in a fresh thread, but what are the pros/cons of buying outside the US and/or titling in say an IBC maybe in Nevis or Belize?
flightlead404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:36   #10

My 2 ¢, in complete ignorance of most factors: buy a charter boat in Croatia, sail into the Caribbean being guided strictly by Jimmy Cornell's voyaging guides.
Shoalbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 14:20   #11

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

If I needed a boat, I would purchase in Croatia right now. Alot of ex-charter boats with good exchange rate. Then hire a skipper if I didn't know how to fix things. I belong to a yacht club and have many friends that would be more than happy to bring a boat back with me. Besides, sailing the Med would be cool for a year. Then bring her home.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 17:07   #12

Thanks everyone for the replies.
First off, my sailing experience is actually somewhat limited. I usually do one bareboat charter a year for two weeks. I have done the BVI too many times, but I have also done Mallorca, St Maartin, Exuma etc.
In reality, I would be looking to do a long season in the Carib. Obviously I do not plan to be there for hurricane season, which means to me taking delivery of a boat in October in Florida and returning it for the Fourth of July.
From a mechanical point of view, I am NOT a diesel mechanic. I am however decently adept at just fixing things. I have a basic knowledge of electrical systems and yes I appreciate the comment that if only living on a boat for 9 months then forget adding a bunch of solar and maybe just motor a bit more.
I have looked into charter renting but realistically, renting a charter boat at the weekly rate would be needlessly expensive.
If I was to get a mono hull, I would be looking in the 40 to 50 ft range. if I go for a Cat: then 40 to44 ft will be fine. Loosing 30K will not be the end of the world for me and likely the cost of doing business.
As a question: I know that sailing to USVI from Florida is a bit of a slog but I assume it probably isn't toooooo bad. thoughts on that?
About buying a boat in the BVI: I have thought of trying that. It would save the hassle of sailing there. However!!!, I likely would find the process easier in the US. flying from Seattle to see a boat in Florida is easier. escrow accounts would likely be easier as well.
Any other thoughts?
I guess my only other idea for this was to buy a Moorings boat and put it in the fleet. I would then use the boat in the off season, when the points go farther and do it for several years in a row. I would Sell the boat after the five years. I would likely lose more than 30K but would be able to sail 2-3 months for probably four years.

Any other thoughts appreciated.
don
Old 04-11-2020, 17:13   #13

I would say what you planning on means you need to have enough cash to buy a pretty solid boat. I wouldn't count on finding a $30,000 boat that will do what you want and still be able to most of your cash back. Also look at what's selling. We bought what was popular so we could sell it quick. Dock fees add up while you are waiting to sell.""

yes: I figure that any boat I would be interested in will be 2-3 Hundred K.
Obviously, returning it in good condition and pricing for a quick sale will be paramount.
Old 04-11-2020, 19:27   #14

PS: when I say I bareboat, I am always the captain not a passenger. I do have an ICC license but forgetting that fact, I am hardly an "avid " sailor with my once a year trips
Old 04-11-2020, 21:10   #15

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

"About buying a boat in the BVI: I have thought of trying that. It would save the hassle of sailing there. However!!!, I likely would find the process easier in the US."

I found a boat in Puerto Rico and the broker was in BVI. No issue with transferring deposit, and when deal fell through my full deposit was quickly returned. Deal falling through had no bearing on location of boat or broker. Seller had not left items stated in listing, right down to the VHF. There are some tax advantages by buying down there, it's something to consider. I would do a deal down there again, other than the seller, it was pretty painless.
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote