Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should CF recommend that OP's follow a more useful protocol?
Yes, I'd like less repetition, and to learn what the OP's decided 26 35.14%
No, let them and me blather on without resolution 44 59.46%
I'm an OP and you don't deserve my final decision 4 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 06:49   #16

Re: OP etiquette: should CF be more professional?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Possum View Post
I am new here, but if I wanted to be professional and wanted more rules than needed for safety, I would not have quit my job to go sailing.
I hear you! It reminds me of the people, who the second they get to an anchorage with more than a couple of boats, want to start getting things organized!
Old 14-10-2019, 07:37   #17

Sailing/cruising isn't a profession (not counting the few here who are in the businesses serving the recreational boating markets) so no, it wouldn't make sense to adopt the rules of professional fora.

The pub analogy seems the best fit... with a few exceptions:
  • this forum format is better at sharing and storing technical advice. I haven't had too much problems searching within CF, but here's a tip for searching with google - include "site:cruisersforum.com" together with your search terms and it restricts the search to CF.
  • there are topics and tones of voice that you simply do not engage in face-to-face without risking a punch or two, but the same seems ok in a forum? That's a point of etiquette that more people should observe. I'm grateful that the CF mods have chosen to come down harder on off-topic politically-charged subjects.

In sites where the same questions get asked over and over, one way that some have adopted is a FAQ section which presents all those n00bie questions together with the definitive answer, and new members are gently encouraged to visit there first. Volunteers for creating the CF FAQs?

I appreciate that this is a nice place to read and converse about boats and cruising.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 07:59   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Not voting; none of the choices are on target.

Yes, it would be nice if new folks did some searching first, but a) the basic search tool ain't great, and b) many new folks don't know what a forum is or how to spell one, so often just don't know how to use the tools.

Once past the basic tool, finding relevant posts isn't all that huge of a problem, and I haven't minded wading through several threads to see as many permutations of answer and relevant (and/or irrelevant) discussion as possible. There are nuggets almost everywhere.

I got conned into helping admin our owners forum. Chances of shanghaiing moderators is slim to zip, nobody wants to do that -- and I don't either, so I don't do it. OTOH, if you're volunteering to moderate, Jimbo, perhaps the forum staff would appreciate your help. (Not meaning to put words in their mouth.)

-Chris
Old 14-10-2019, 08:01   #19

Nah, and I know of no forums that do this. Not saying there aren't a few. Frankly, every question has been answered on every subject pretty much, somewhere and at some time. Therefore, we don't need a forum at all. We just need a encyclopedia of questions and answers. But things change over time also.
The whole point of forums is to interact. There are people and moderators who, on a forum, may direct you to past threads that may help. But it's not a requirement.

It's a bit like thinking; "Why go to dinner at that restaurant with that person, we've done that before."

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:27   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Forum participation would decline, meaning the site traffic would decline, leading to decline revenue.

So I do t see this going anywhere.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:49   #21

Boat: Catalina 470

Please don't make this forum a place for elitists. It's fine as it is, let people ask what they want in the way they want, with a welcome mat put out for everyone.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 08:50   #22

Boat: Azimut 60 Flybridge

I get the point, but not sure it's that big of a deal. Typically the new posts are around 10 a day. If there were 100's a day and good discussions were lost due to too many posts that would be one thing. Those repetitive discussions are easy enough to ignore if you're not interested.
whynot929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:03   #23

Boat: Freedom 32'

Did you ever search for something here? Do it. You get info that has nothing to do with what you searched for. If you do, the info is outdated. I dislike "professional" And I don't feel I have to tell you what my decision was and the outcome. I'm not obligated to you.
I feel the moderators do a good job when it gets out of hand.
Old 14-10-2019, 09:09   #24

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

So, if new members must agree to have searched before they post, I suppose we could extend that thought on the other end - how about you can't answer a post until you establish your qualifications? How about them apples?

Joining CF is just like moving into a new town. Go to the local pub/civic meeting/church/whatever sit down and listen for a while. You'll get a good idea of who's speaking from experience and who's blowing smoke. As for the endless "newbie" questions? I just skip over them and let them annoy someone else. Or maybe I remember being new and answer them. It's a choice. I'm not required to read anything...

More rules? Not for me thanks.
Old 14-10-2019, 09:19   #25

Boat: 1975 Bluewater38-bare hull#38/Atkin's INGRID/Gaff Ketch

Amazing that the issue of updating (“solved”) should arrive just days before my own intention to finally be able to post progress on re-stepping Pilar’s masts. It was 2-1/2 years ago they were removed, six months later I needed advice about epoxying the mast bands. Even though I won’t know for a long time after the masts are again in place, if the terrific information given and followed solved the problem, until now there was nothing to report back. So, while I whole-heartedly agree that closure is respectful and appreciated...there are times when results are not immediately available.
GafferMate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:37   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
Did you ever search for something here? Do it. You get info that has nothing to do with what you searched for. .
interesting

I normally get what I was looking for. I also normally get old threads for here when I do a Google search (I find that more useful)

I definitely have gotten more into searching before posting a "problem" type of thread as I get the replies now on the search method, but wait days of bickering to maybe get an answer on a new thread

but then I'm really here for entertainment and time wasting
Old 14-10-2019, 09:39   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

I don't find repetitive questions that annoying. I can always avoid that thread. There are some things, though, that I wish we would all do: 1) at least, read the OP's question before answering, even if you have written a previous answer. You may have forgotten either the question or some other factor that makes your prospective answer irrelevant. 2) If there is a reputable known source, go there first! How often does something that is easily and accurately answered by the Coast Guard, for instance, get asked on CF, instead. There follows a myriad of speculative answers, when the OP should have simply got on the line with the Coast Guard, or whomever, and asked the question! There are many examples of this. 3) I think Mike's suggestion for actual user's names is excellent.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:49   #28

What you're describing is more like a Self-Help Portal at a software company (e.g. Microsoft, Oracle, etc). That is not what you have here.

There is bit of expanse between the reality of what a forum like this is and your expectations. There is where you should focus on policy change.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 09:59   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Mike and Gord, good summations

I still suggest splitting Marine Electronics might work better.

Thanks
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 10:02   #30

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

I don't want to see a limit to the interaction on CF. However, I'd greatly appreciate a (mandatory) thread where all participants/members post an introduction. Or create a thread and folks who have provided their experience or credentials get a 'vetted' mark by their name. This would give an OP the ability to judge the background and 'quality' of certain responses. And if you don't have much experience, it shouldn't be a big deal to articulate that - we were all beginners at one point.

I've seen too many posts where folks comment about things based on their VERY limited experience, where the situation doesn't actually match their limited experience, and give advice that is specious at best, and outright dangerous at worst. Knowing that this individual is a newb, and only sailing or working on boats for a limited time, would help an OP make a judgment on the validity of certain statements.

As an example, folks have posted questions about electrical issues. If I was the OP, I'd prefer to hear from very experienced sailors, comfortable with their electrical systems on their boats, or from marine professionals.

Maybe I'm expecting too much from the forum, but i've see this style of self-vetting on other forums, and it greatly adds to the value of the responses provided.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass