Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Should CF recommend that OP's follow a more useful protocol?
Yes, I'd like less repetition, and to learn what the OP's decided 26 35.14%
No, let them and me blather on without resolution 44 59.46%
I'm an OP and you don't deserve my final decision 4 5.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2019, 14:22   #46

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: OP etiquette: should CF be more professional?

Yes.

Me too.

Would like to see some kind of a committee established, preferably with my humble self as the Head of such. We will rate, derate, like and condemn. Everybody knows that mad crowds know answers better than enlightened individuals, and that what is good for one OP is good for any other asker in any foreseeable future.

Posters younger than 18, ignotant bubbling idiots, and older than 85, demented dribbling idiots, should be best banned. And if they cannot be banned (bloody traps of democracy), they should be put down ... errrr.... cancelled, whatever - I mean: their posts and advice should get derated, abused and ridiculed. One star system, or better yet: NEGATIVE STARS.

We are sinking.

Only white males should be allowed to post valid INFORMATION and OPs should be forced to rate our invaluable advice. Better yet, pay for it, better yet - get us likes on Facebook and Instagram.

Because every body knows (oh, but really?) that whatever OP decides gives us best insight into correctness and aptness of the advice given.

REAL LIFE EXAMPLE:

OP: (16 y.o lazy bum) : Mom, can I play Nintendo now?
Mom: Forget it, open books and learn some.
OP: Dad?
Dad: Yes, no problem, play some Nintendo now.

OP rates Mom five dislikes and Dad 5 likes. Mom gets derated, dad is the new KING of CF.

Mom gets deported (if possible, if not, Mom gets cancelled).

C'mon people, my days here are counted. I have seen some good times why not it will be fun to watch the demise.

I no longer ask questions at Linux 'forums'. I will soon stop trying to give some hopefully useful answers at CF.

Stop the social media liking disliking and crowd sourced pseudo-intelligence games before we become yet another Quora kind of nook.

Truly,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:26   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
In sites where the same questions get asked over and over, one way that some have adopted is a FAQ section which presents all those n00bie questions together with the definitive answer, and new members are gently encouraged to visit there first. Volunteers for creating the CF FAQs?

You start. Please write the FAQ with the definitive answer to the following questions.
"What anchor should I get"?
"I've never sailed before but I want to buy a boat and sail around the world. Should I get a monohull or a catamaran?"

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:42   #48

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Has the OP reached a decision yet? (So desperately awaiting the OP's conclusion!)

Meanwhile... Gordo? I get the star thingies, and the green box thingies.
Since part of my profile page is obscured by some data boxes along the right edge (partiallly hiding my user name) I don't know if I have any green boxes or not! Probably not, since, well, the joke page and all that. But I DO see a green circle! Does that indicate special status? You know, round up all the CF miscreants and flag them like with a Scarlet Letter? Inquiring minds want to know. Asking for a friend.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 14:42   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
I've seen too many posts where folks comment about things based on their VERY limited experience, where the situation doesn't actually match their limited experience, and give advice that is specious at best, and outright dangerous at worst.

Case in point:
Even after the topic has been done to death, on every COLREGs thread we get posts advocating "The Rule of Tonnage" and assertions of "right of way".
Old 14-10-2019, 14:46   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
Meanwhile... Gordo? I get the star thingies, and the green box thingies.
Since part of my profile page is obscured by some data boxes along the right edge (partiallly hiding my user name) I don't know if I have any green boxes or not!

Here ya go!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	squares.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	201512  
Old 14-10-2019, 14:47   #51

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Jimbo View Post
My friends and fellow sailors – I’d like to raise a couple things that would vastly improve our mutual and hopefully more helpful experience. First, I’d like to say that while CF can be incredibly helpful, the opposite can also be true. Examples:

1. OP’s often don’t really take the time to search and find answers or relevent threads that already exist. I must tell you that there are some very professional and useful forums that insist that posters do this – and say so – before they post yet another thread on the same subject.

By burying the forums with yet another post on questions that have been repeatedly answered, not only does this discourage participation, but also makes the job of those of us who do properly search first, makes things harder. Which of the 50 past posts on the same old subject is the one or few that really are complete and beneficial?

2. A prime example of abuse are those absolute dreamers who ask questions like “What is the best way to make my “fill in the blank” dreams come true. The usual suspects and resident expurts will go on for 15 pages of the kind of blather that is better delivered in between beers at the bar. Those who respond are similarly problematical.

Nothing get solved, no definitive answers are given, the information is already there and worse yet: the OP who has encouraged others to take of their time and energy never shares his/her response and decision.

3. Speaking of which: I believe that OP’s have a duty to let those who took much time to post a host of good opinions and info – I believe those OP’s in return owe the rest of us what they finally decided and why. This is VERY important, as then we who responded can benefit from learning from the OP, their rationale and decision.

Those same professional forums I referred to earlier make another demand: the OP’s are required to post “[SOLVED]” or the like, and comment on the solution or decision. Although CF does not allow posters to later change the original subject line of the OP, there is no reason why the OP can’t post their final [DECISION] and their rationale in a final post, or to at least share the final options they are considering.

I believe it is unfair and disrespectful for OP’s to take, but not return. Their decisions and opinions are valuable and denied. A simple “thanks” - nice enough – is not nearly enough. I believe CF needs to make clear that posters must search first, say so, and only then post ending with the OP’s decision and rationale.

Carry on.
Well. At the risk of repeating a sentiment that has come across the Forum before, we all pretty much started out as 'dreamers'.
The fact that the Forum may be 'un-professional' is an attraction for me, and the casual, easy-going (and endlessly patient) replies by incredibly experienced sailors, marine technicians, etc. is a huge attraction to me and I think to a lot of folks.
I come here to search and research, usually after running out of other options. And while it's true that a lot of people do their own research elsewhere (including me usually) what harm can it do for a newbie to ask what might be a previously answered question? Even if it's silly or dumb? If you're too busy to respond, then don't.
Cruisers Forum to me is just about perfect. The moderators do a stellar job of keeping things cool while offering excellent advice and information when they do chime in.
Every time I visit the Forum I learn something. Every time. And that's pretty much every day. Now & then I try to contribute if it's a subject I'm familiar with, and I for one enjoy doing so. It's a pleasure or I wouldn't do it! Of course having been retired for nearly 15 years gives me the time to goof online, and I understand that time is more 'valuable' for lack of a better word, for folks with a tighter schedule and a busy daily routine.
Being thanked now & then is a joy, I agree, and probably doesn't happen enough. And perhaps hearing a bit about how the information the OP received is being put to use would be enjoyable.
If the Forums are being 'buried' by previously answered questions, then I suppose something must be done to clear thing up. That's well beyond my pay scale. And at the risk of rambling, I might gently suggest that 'professional' and 'helpful' are far from synonymous. Try reading JAMA sometime.
Respectfully submitted and all the best.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 15:03   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Here ya go!
Hey, THANKS! Appreciate the quick reply. But seriously, many accolades? Must have been a bunch of louts hanging around the bar with George. Meanwhile, the green circle remains a mystery. As does the OP's responsive conclusion for the decision made regarding the poll results. (Or even an interim analysis.)

Full disclosure: I would have responded to the poll but there was/is no option for "I'd like to answer but you haven't bought me a beer, and I haven't bought you a beer, so how do I know you're not some Elbonia troll?"

I repeat (just to ingratiate myself with the OP):
Old 14-10-2019, 15:16   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Here ya go!
Stu beat me to it.
svmariane has 1 green box, and “has received many accolades”.
The green circle, next to your name, indicates that you’re now online.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 15:25   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Stu beat me to it.
svmariane has 1 green box, and “has received many accolades”.
The green circle, next to your name, indicates that you’re now online.
WHAT !!!!! Everybody can tell when I'm online! Suffering succotash !

Old 14-10-2019, 15:39   #55
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

People and their questions don't bother me anymore.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 15:54   #56

Quote:
You start. Please write the FAQ with the definitive answer to the following questions. (etc...)

Meanwhile, awaiting the OP to rejoin the discussion...

Cruisers Forum FAQs

"What anchor should I get"?
Consensus of the community is an anchor that keeps your vessel off the rocks.

"I've never sailed before but I want to buy a boat and sail around the world. Should I get a monohull or a catamaran?"
Consensus of the community is yes. Sailing around the world requires a sailboat. (But of course you could opt for a trimaran. Hadn't thought of that? Well, since you're a newbie, a trimaran is a mono-hull with training wheels.) {Tri owners please direct your anger via PM.}

This thread is fun!

Now, about those points for professionalism and seriousness and community policing and accountability and ratings and closure and all that rot: Really? I mean, some of the happiest moments of my sailing life are when I pull the mooring lines aboard as my wife eases Mariane away from the dock. Then the only rules/restrictions that come into play are Col/Regs (and occasionally a CF moderator). The fact that the OP even raises the question in that poll leaves me shaking my head. I'm going for a beer. I'll defer to the forum.
Old 14-10-2019, 15:56   #57

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I think that better search tools would help. I find it difficult to even find old threads I know of, given what I know to be in them. It would be useful to OPs and a means of quick reference. My opinion, not useful to constrain the heck out of people’s creativity and imagination.
I totally agree, maybe a “ quick answer” link to the 6 or 8 most common questions. I also get perturbed for posters asking the forum to do marina searches for them. A number of websites are available for that where you get all the information you need and current pricing too. Questions on specific marinas would be acceptable.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 16:01   #58

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmariane View Post
WHAT !!!!! Everybody can tell when I'm online! Suffering succotash !

Look behind you.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 16:11   #59

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I get the gout too but not since I started Allopurinol. Have your doc get you set up. It’s cheap too. Drink or eat anything. It’s been years since a flair up.
After 20 years of gout attacks I finally gave up trying different diets etc and started Allopurinol 56 days ago. Never had so many attacks before but apparently it takes a few months to work. It could take up to a year to work maybe.
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2019, 16:23   #60

Boat: Outremer 51

I agree - the advanced search is quite weak. Google is far better at finding content in CF. If you want people to search (and I always try) then you have to make it work better.

The problem with capturing ‘solutions’ is that a lot of the questions are just seeking advice. There is no ‘solution’ just opinions.
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass