Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2022, 21:47   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Open CPN Maps for Australia

It's there on your oeSenc chart, but it's just a dot, it's not in the same detail as Navionics.

It's an unnamed dot if you select the more detailed chart(1:1 500 000).
Overzooming the larger scale chart (1:3 500 000) shows the name.
Don't know why mine shows the dotted "rings" around land areas while yours doesn't
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roundisland.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	259032   Click image for larger version

Name:	roundisland2.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	259033  

StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2022, 21:57   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Incidentally, CM93
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rounccm93.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	259034  
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 01:08   #18

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Thanks, all.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:34   #19

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
Hopefully the official AusENC charts are better than this.
AusENC charts are exactly the same, as already written, o-charts are AusENC in different format.
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:20   #20

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
AusENC charts are exactly the same, as already written, o-charts are AusENC in different format.
Browsing the catalog, official Australian charts seem to lack detailed coverage west of 123°39' for the Great Australian Bight; they only have small-scale charts there.

Name:	aus-charts-1.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	259051

In contrast, the Sydney to Gold Coast section appears to have good large-scale coverage.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 07:34   #21

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Australia is not one of those places that gives away charts for free (US, NZ, Brazil, a couple of others). ...
The charts were created and updated by tax payers hard earned cash over many many decades. It's somewhat ironic, to me anyway, that the Australian Govt. then 'sells' that resource back. mostly to those same tax payers. Effectively another tax.
Old 06-06-2022, 23:02   #22

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
So the AusENC charts are missing islands and lots of rocks that appear on Navionics charts
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 23:07   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
Browsing the catalog, official Australian charts seem to lack detailed coverage west of 123°39' for the Great Australian Bight; they only have small-scale charts there.

Attachment 259051

In contrast, the Sydney to Gold Coast section appears to have good large-scale coverage.
Between Sydney and Brisbane I came accross a number of spots where rocks were highlighted on the Navionics charts which did not appear on the O-Charts on Open-CPN, which nohal is saying are exactly the same.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:26   #24

Quote:
So the AusENC charts are missing islands and lots of rocks that appear on Navionics charts
As we found out in this thread, that Island is not missing on AusENC (And neither on o-charts), just to be exact.

There is information on Navionics charts that is not present on official ENC charts, that is absolutely sure. Especially in areas not interesting for big commercial shipping. Navionics as well bases their charts on the official ENCs (often quite outdated as can be found), but compiles in also other sources.

O-charts gives you very up to date official ENC cells, nothing more, nothing less.

Is Navionics better? Not as easy to tell as you would like, I personally know places along the main shipping route throught the channels connecting the Magellan straight and Beagle channel (nothing minor, all ships including the big cruisers obligatorily pass right through there) where it contains the same islands multiple times, all of those copies being wrong and effectively trying to kill people.
The reason for that actually is ptetty simple - also the official and all the other charts available are off there, just different editions diffferently and Navionics somehow managed to mix all that information together. But as it is absolutely unclear what information they took from where and everything looks the same, the navigator has no chance to figure out what's wrong and how much. When someone tells you to use radar and keep watch, better do believe them. And use your charts, all charts, with a sane amount of caution...

Oh, and also check your vector charts settings in OpenCPN, you probably could tune them a little better for the Australian charts to work better for you as StuM already pointed out.
Old 07-06-2022, 02:17   #25

Quote:
As we found out in this thread, that Island is not missing on AusENC (And neither on o-charts), just to be exact.

There is information on Navionics charts that is not present on official ENC charts, that is absolutely sure. Especially in areas not interesting for big commercial shipping. Navionics as well bases their charts on the official ENCs (often quite outdated as can be found), but compiles in also other sources.

O-charts gives you very up to date official ENC cells, nothing more, nothing less.

Is Navionics better? Not as easy to tell as you would like, I personally know places along the main shipping route throught the channels connecting the Magellan straight and Beagle channel (nothing minor, all ships including the big cruisers obligatorily pass right through there) where it contains the same islands multiple times, all of those copies being wrong and effectively trying to kill people.
The reason for that actually is ptetty simple - also the official and all the other charts available are off there, just different editions diffferently and Navionics somehow managed to mix all that information together. But as it is absolutely unclear what information they took from where and everything looks the same, the navigator has no chance to figure out what's wrong and how much. When someone tells you to use radar and keep watch, better do believe them. And use your charts, all charts, with a sane amount of caution...

Oh, and also check your vector charts settings in OpenCPN, you probably could tune them a little better for the Australian charts to work better for you as StuM already pointed out.
I can only go by my experience of sailing from Fremantle to Brisbane over the last 8 months, where I found that Open CPN / O- Charts was missing information that was displayed on Navionics. Unfortunately Round Island was not the only issue, the Eastern Group to the NE of Round Island was also missing a number of surrounding rocks, plus I kept seeing missing rocks sailing up the east coast, to the point where I stopped relying on Open CPN / O- Charts.

I also prefer sailing to playing around with charts. Navionics cost around $30 a year and takes about 3 minutes to setup. Why bother “tuning” charts on OpenCPN when their is a better alternative?
Old 07-06-2022, 02:28   #26

Quote:
I also prefer sailing to playing around with charts. Navionics cost around $30 a year and takes about 3 minutes to setup. Why bother “tuning” charts on OpenCPN when their is a better alternative?
Of course nobody can tell you what you have to do and I believe nobody did. All I and the others, including you, in this thread did is share the information we have available to help the other readers make their own informed decision...
Old 09-06-2022, 14:57   #27

Boat: Island Packet 40

One of the reasons is the vast superiority of OpenCPN in utility and usability. I have a number of MFDs but still use O for passage planning.
Old 09-06-2022, 15:30   #28

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

All, thanks for the interesting discussion.

I should declare that I also love paper charts, having grown up navigating on land with just a map, compass and pace counter.

I also appreciate the convenience of electronic charts and I’m well aware of the pros and cons of both approaches.

I also see too many people - usually power boaters - who have their noses stuck in their chart plotters and have 100% faith in the accuracy of their devices.
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2023, 09:47   #29

Boat: Cross 46 Trimaran 'Migration'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJHC View Post

I also see too many people - usually power boaters - who have their noses stuck in their chart plotters and have 100% faith in the accuracy of their devices.

Absolutely true... and certainly not just powerboats out here in French Polynesia following their chart plotter religiously.

Chart plotters usually give only ONE source of data. And any cartographer will tell you that all charts -- no matter the source -- will have errors. That's why using OpenCPN with multiple sources is safer than just believing that Navionics (for example) got it right.

All of the east coast of Australia, plus Tasmania and the western parts of Queensland and Victoria, are available in MBTile format (multiple satellite views and Navionics) at TheChartLocker.com.

Cheers
Bruce

Tags
Australia, open cpn