Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2004, 05:09   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
I lost my job of 23 years on july 8 2001 on july 3-2002 we closed on the boat. I sold some property and my house went this past feb. The boat needs work but I think I will do it on the way! I do need a genset. but the rest I can do later. I will payoff my home base home next month and build a building for the stuff I want to keep and rent the house out while we are gone. If something should happen and I need to come back it will be nice to have a place to go.
irwinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2004, 23:35   #17

Perhaps listening to your friends & family would be helpful...

Greg, I'd suggest you NOT discard the comments of your friends & family...at least not summarily.

The fact that taking off cruising makes sense to some of us (and after all, that's the nature of the skewed responses you'd get in this venue) doesn't mean it's right for you. I can honestly say that each time my wife and I have left jobs with the plan to do offshore cruising, I would find many work colleagues and friends who would *instantly* have their dream triggered in their minds. "If only I'd gone off and been a ski instructor..." said one guy. "I hate sailing but I would love to take a year off and write a book..." said another. Those kinds of responses are very affirming, and there are always a subset of folks who, hearing plans like yours, will wonder about their own road less traveled.

OTOH your friends and family presumably know you well, or at least some of them do. Reflect a bit on who's saying what - in other words, put the concerns and anxieties in context - and ask yourself (quietly, honestly) if they have some valid reservations on your behalf. If it's Mom still being worried about you not meeting the right girl/having the right job/etc., that's one thing. If it's a close cousin, friend, sibling who raises an insightful reservation about the Grand Plan and You, which you know in your heart to be fair and relevant, then that's potentially helpful food for thought. It doesn't mean you should bail on your goals, but if you don't have the easy answer to what you view as valid feedback, then you may well have some additional work to do.

Cruising has a LOT to do with personal discovery and growth; it's one of the things that makes it - for some, at least - developmentally healthy and personally fulfilling. Perhaps your 'cruising' has just begun simply by reflecting on what you're being told.

Jack
European Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2004, 07:47   #18

Analyze This

Great movie BTW.
I appreciate all the advice given. E.C. your advice is solid and insightful. I do have to be honest here, I never considered sailing prior to 6 months ago. In the past my conception of sailboaters was they were pretentious snobs with captain hats.
The only reason I considered a sailboat was to use it as a vehicle to take me where I want to go. Alas, my thoughts have changed dramatically. (althought there are still a lot of snobs out there).
I now see the "cruiser" as more of an adventurer, a frontiersman.
As a kid growing up I was a hunter and wanted to be a Mountain Man. Starting at the age of 5-6 I would go out into the oil fields with my BB Gun and hunt all day by myself. Today I have upgraded my weapon to bow and arrow but continue to hunt solo. The point here is that I could care less if I am successful by bringing home the "game". The best part is the physical challenge and solitude with nature.(This drove my ex-wife nuts). I can see myself in the middle of the ocean combating whatever Mother Nature throws at me and having that feeling of accomplisment when I make a port. This... is what I dream for.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2004, 19:36   #19

Hi Greg

EC is right to suggest listening to those around you. Although my family and friends (other than my sailing friends) couldn't grasp the notion of cruising and weren't very supportive. The preparation for my last trip was so exhausting I nearly pulled the pin but it turned out fine and I'm planning to go again for longer.

I spent a few seasons of ocean racing and still do but the thing that made the dream seem less possible initially was seasickness. 20 years down the track I rarely ever get seasick (touch wood) so it is something that can get better.

Because you are considering your first boat, keep to a popular type with the right sailing characteristics and good resale. Too many first purchases are often big, tired, inappropriate for the job and hard to sell.

Good luck!

James
Old 07-05-2004, 15:13   #20

Huuummmm...sail 1-2 years and then rejoin the work force? I wonder...better have a nest egg stashed just incase you like sailing too much to leave it.
Old 14-05-2004, 11:12   #21

Send a message via AIM to seaquesta Send a message via Yahoo to seaquesta
Great ideas and

All good advise but, you are the key here and the dream is only just forming.
This response is long as I cover a few points as I see them.
Your experience hunting is and was a good start. Being alone out there takes a soul that can handle oneself as well as ones fears. They are there and will rear their ugly faces.
The emotions of a sailor run deep in those that have been out there. Myself, I have nearly 60,000 miles over 35 years of open ocean sailing behind me. I have crewed with great folks and some not so great. I am a particular sort so spending time alone is no big deal. That way I get to do as I please, when I please and how I desire to complete it. I live aboard a Pearson 365 ketch "cruising boat" after racing for most of my life. The large benefit is I got used to sparse conditions and someone paid me to do it.
In my opinion, there is no better teacher than experience. I am sure you can change the oil in your car. I suspect you can build something from scratch or follow instructions...well enough to impress someone to feel confident enough to take you along. I do not suggest doing it for free. Charge something, 24 bucks a day if nothing else to assist in a delivery, plus return and food of course.
If you make it a job you retain the motivation, responsibility factor and the willpower to continue.
Survey your thoughts upon the return of every trip and dive right into the next one. They are all worth the time.
By doing this you will be gaining valuable experience both in sailing and the general lifestyle. It is different. The folks around you will change rapidly and your ideals will become more refined as to why you want to sail single handedly. Mine did.
One fault I have is I expect others aboard to be thinking what and when I do, to be constantly alerted of the next thing that needs the be done as well as what could be done next or happen. When I find they are less intense, I begin to both make them aware of me and my ways and see if they are the same or I just begin to do for them; as I feel they have weak spots.
Of course they are not weak but abreast of different views. This I learn, sometimes too slowly and realize they have values just as I do. But, things get done they may not see necessary.
One thing you should always do is have fun.
It's important to know the job necessary. One trip, I was the senior crew member and navigator, not the skipper. In rough conditions 300 miles off California in route from Hawaii to Marina Del Ray aboard Sorcery (C&C61). I was the only one capable of changing from a #3 headsail to the #4 in 10 to 12 foot seas with a time of maybe 6 seconds between peaks, probably 4 seconds. The wind was over thirty and increasing. I did the job. I, at one point was over the side and out of site of the rest of the crew in the cockpit. I got back to work and slowly made my way to the cockpit. I was hailed a fool at the same time a hero but the ride was a bit more comfortable.
When the skis cleared and the foulies came off the crew was the same mix of experienced and those that were not. I learned that I depend on myself for my own safety.
If you keep your prospective in mind and enjoy the trips you will be a great sailor, person and crewmate to those of us other persons in the worldmarine.
Oh, on what to say or think of your friends and relatives, “the less you say the smarter you sound.”
seaquesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2004, 21:52   #22

If it were me, before I spent a cent on a boat, instruction, or anything else, I'd visit the local marinas and introduce myself around as someone who was looking to "crew" on any sailboat of 30' or more to learn and to gain experience.

There are many sailors who don't like to sail alone and would welcome some company, expecially the kind who wants to get involved with the cleanup work. Day sails and overnights will provide much insight; both in terms of evaluating the features of different boats and developing personal sailing skills.

The Bay Area is an ideal spot for this. Plenty of boats, plenty of wind, and plenty of room.
Old 14-07-2004, 21:52   #23

If it were me, before I spent a cent on a boat, instruction, or anything else, I'd visit the local marinas and introduce myself around as someone who was looking to "crew" on any sailboat of 30' or more to learn and to gain experience.

There are many sailors who don't like to sail alone and would welcome some company, expecially the kind who wants to get involved with the cleanup work. Day sails and overnights will provide much insight; both in terms of evaluating the features of different boats and developing personal sailing skills.

The Bay Area is an ideal spot for this. Plenty of boats, plenty of wind, and plenty of room.
Old 20-07-2004, 19:13   #24

Greg check out Spinnaker Sailing at South Beach Marina in the City. I took their full course up through Bareboat Chartering some years ago. It's not cheap but the instruction is very good. Then I joined the South Beach Yacht Club (cheap initiation and dues) and crewed on some race boats for a couple of seasons. It's great way to leran to sail in a hurry so long as you can find a boat willing to take a rookie. Then ask questions, ask questions and ask more questions. While not a "cruising boat" I bought an Islander 36 for 30k. You can get a really clean turn key Islander for between 35 and 45k. And the can go anywhere you want though you're going to probably have to install some "cruising gear" like I'm having to do. Here's the link to Spinnaker and South Beach Harbor http://www.spinnaker-sailing.com/ http://www.southbeachharbor.com/
Old 27-07-2004, 18:53   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
Hey Greg,
Used to work for Boat U.S., and they paid for me to take a sailing class, with a well known school in the area. Found a beautiful Island Packet waiting for me and 2 other students. I shoulda known it was going to be an interesting day when they couldn't find the ignition key. OK .. so if you know anything about diesels, you don't really need the key . We got into Charlotte Harbor, and I was given the helm and pointed towards a destination ... then the instructor and the 2 other students went to the foredeck and discussed local condo prices ... uh ... they remained there for the rest of the day. I had a lovely day ... but gained no instruction. Glad I didn't have to pay for the experience.
I have waaay more experience in boat repair & navigation, then sailing miles .. but ... plan to leave here headed to Venezuela. Heck, Tanya Albei had less experience than I do .. and she managed to make it around the world! People who don't know me, might think some of my plans are a little "out there" ... but those that do know me ... expect nothing less from me!
Bob
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 06:52   #26

Hi Greg,
Have you thought of learning at someone else's expense. If you are planning to go off in Oct - Nov, that is when there are a lot of boats going from the Canary Islands to the Caribbean. Why not try and hitch a lift with one of them. It will just cost you your flight there and a cheep hotel until you can get on a boat. You will also see if life on the ocean is for you.
walnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 00:21   #27

Boat: J/35 - No Tomorrows
If.. No, -when- it was me..

Buy the cheapest boat you can find. Maybe 27-30 foot? Total thrasher. Then immediatly move onto it. Sail the be-geezuz outta' the thing. Enter the local beer can races to see how your sailing skills are measuring up. (I mean every weekend) Smash it, bash it, break it, fix it. Try scarier and scarier things 'till you spit dust. (Plenty of scary in the SF Bay) After about what? Two years of this, you will have a MUCH better idea of what you might like as your "real" boat. And, probibly had a heck of a good time while meeting some new friends as well. The best part? You can start, today!

Well, that's what I did. 1974 Cal T/2 for $4, 000. Didn't know squat when I bought it. Had no end of fun on the thing and spit dust more 'n a few times. The wife still misses that boat 'cause she says it was easier to sail. Not like I planned it but it worked out great. When I bought my "real" boat I gave the old one to a buddy of mine. Couldn't sell it, no one would give me anything for it. But in his eyes I gave him a yacht. Win Win!

Good luck and have fun!

-jim lee
Old 10-09-2004, 13:24   #28

I too am trying to learn and gain experience. Could you please point me towards the web sites you are aware of that are looking for crew? I understand it would not pay or pay very little and travel expences would be mine.

Thanks
RV6Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:18   #29
Captain

I know this reply is a bit OFF-TOPIC, but...

An RV6Pilot is to me a person maneuvering this here craft:

http://www.vansaircraft.com/public/rv-6int.htm

Coincidence???
Amphibian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2004, 11:39   #30
cruiser

Re: Thanks

Quote:
Greg once whispered in the wind:

BTW: I am getting a lot of negative feedback from friends and family. They all think I'm nuts and going through a Mid-Life Crisis.
Has anyone else experienced this? How did you deal with this tackfully?
This is very true. My wife and I just sold our coastal cruiser in order to move into a liveaboard and cruising lifestyle. Our families think we're idiots for not wanting a new Mercedes, a 50 room house, and lots of "stuff." People at or places of employment can't seem to grasp it. They wonder how we could live in a "cramped" 40 foot boat without getting a divorce. (Divorce not likely since the WIFE suggested this!) They marvel at the fact that we want to see things in life, rather than live inside the "Matrix." I think it takes a very independent and free thinking person to want to sail and liveaboard. The only thing you can do is answer their questions, and proceed with the plan. Lots of people do it. It's not like you're moving into outer space here.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote